ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

TPMS Relearning tool

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-24, 09:26 PM
christcorp
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default TPMS Relearning tool

Well, my 2007 ES350 finally seems to have a TPMS sensor that has finally died. Getting the rapid flashing flat tire light and then solid tire light. Considering the car is 17 years old, I think the TPMS sensor has lasted a pretty good amount of time. Anyway; I have no problem replacing the 4 (5 if you include the spare) sensors. I have had luck with aftermarket TPMS sensors in my other vehicles, but this will be the first time in the lexus. I might as well do my 2008 toyota Rav 4 also, considering those sensors are original and haven't died yet (but probably will).

Anyway, my question is about "Relearning" to the ECU. My other vehicles (Non-Toyota/Lexus) all had a "Relearning Mode" for sensors. Simply replace the sensors; put the vehicle in "Relearn Mode" from the console; and use a $10 activation tool bought on amazon. Works like a champ. Unfortunately, I do not believe that toyota/lexus 2007-2008 vehicles have a "Relearn Mode". I believe the only way is to use a scan/relearn tool to read the new sensors, then connect this tool to the OBD2 connector and reprogram the ECU. So, my question is if anyone has any suggestions on a decent tool. I looked at the Autel MaxiTPMS series, but they are expensive, and supposedly they only work with Autel TPMS sensors. That's a lot of money ($250-$300) to spend for 2 vehicles and probably won't ever use again. Especially when I can get aftermarket sensors 5 for $69. (I've had good luck with certain aftermarket sensors). My Chevy Silverado has been working great for a number of years.

Anyway; does anyone know of a decent relearn tool; or if there's a way around it. For $300, I'll LIVE with the stupid tire pressure light on all the time. But changing the tire sensors are really easy. I have done it many times on various vehicles. But my lexus and rav4 are the only ones that don't seem to have a "Relearn Mode".

Thanks
Mike
Old 09-13-24, 10:45 AM
christcorp
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, I haven't gotten any replies, but did see a lot of views on my post. I decided to go ahead and purchase the "XTOOL TP150" scan/program/relearn tool. I've read a lot of good reviews on it. And for about half the price of the Autel 508wf it's worth a shot. $130 on amazon after coupon discounts. Like all others, it can only program sensors from it's own brand, but it can read, diagnose, and relearn to the ecu any tpms sensor.

Replacing the sensor is a simple job, if you have the means of breaking the bead on the tire. I used a lot of methods I found on youtube and the internet. I did wind up having time on my hand and built a bead breaker by building a stand and attaching an old scissor jack to it that I no longer use as a jack. Works great. So, I should receive the TP150 tomorrow. I'll experiment with it a bit before replacing the sensors.

On a side note.... I can't believe it's only NOW that I'm getting the sensor failure light. This is a 2007 lexus es350 and I've owned the car almost the entire 17 years. Having the sensors (all 5) last that long is amazing. But I also have a 2008 rav4 (which I've owned the entire 16 years) and it too has all 5 sensors still working fine. I know they are because I have seen the rare occasion when the light would come on because of low air pressure. (e.g. nail in the tire). So, I guess 16-17 years for the original OEM sensor is pretty good.

I'll write back when I've had a chance to put the TP150 through it's paces.
Mike