ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

2007 Es 350 (hi-res pics begin on pg. 27)

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-06, 10:57 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Checking it out, thx for the link.
Old 02-08-06, 11:16 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like the new ES has the 5th gen Nav display as well. Nice.
Old 02-08-06, 11:18 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here's a quick chop of what the ES interior is missing...
Attached Thumbnails 2007 Es 350 (hi-res pics begin on pg. 27)-es-wood.jpg  

Last edited by encore888; 02-08-06 at 11:23 AM.
Old 02-08-06, 11:22 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by enigma354
Well done!! Looks like a wood trim mod will be on top of most new ES owners' lists.
Old 02-08-06, 11:25 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by enigma354
Nice job

You should work on actually making this wood trim mod immediately, looks like you can sell lots of them
Old 02-08-06, 11:29 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
Nice job

You should work on actually making this wood trim mod immediately, looks like you can sell lots of them
Well said, Arazzo. Whoever makes this wood trim mod available first is gonna make tons of money. In fact, the base MSRP of the new ES should include the price of this mod to reflect the reality.
Old 02-08-06, 12:11 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too expected more from the Ultra lux package, but I guess are expectations were extremely high, as some people (like myself) were expecting the ultra-lux package to contain some LS conveniences. I must say though, that the 4th gen ES is very luxurious as it is, so making this new ES a big leap forward would be quite hard. This is an evolution rather than revolution. The 6th gen ES will likely be revolutionary, as that will no longer be on the Camry platform.

I do question lack of reclining rear seats ... they should have offered power reclining rear seats in the ultra-lux package.

Nonetheless, the ES does have several significant features over the IS: "upgraded" perforated leather in the ultra lux package, which apparently seems like a step above the regular perforated leather. There's also of course the glass roof, which the IS does not have, and the first-in class rear seat side airbags. Another awesome unique feature I caught in the press release was the optional power driver’s seat bottom cushion extender. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt the C Class has that, and I only know of the 3 Series that has a similar sort of feature, so this is definitely an advantageous feature right here. The 3 Series has optional power lumbar support, which I think is a bit different than this cushion extender. But great work for Lexus offering this on the entry level ES. Also the sliding armrests are another unique touch. The new ES hands down outguns the Acura TL in luxury. In performance, it also likely won't be that far behind.

The ES interior definitely looks more luxurious in the Lexus site preview pics than the IS. It also seems like the ES may possibly have more interior illumination than the IS.

Also keep in mind the press kit only lists preliminary specs, so the full specs may not have been listed possibly.

One more thing that seems dissapointing is that the estimated fuel economy of 21/30 seems a bit low. The Camry V6 will has estimated economy of 22/31, so why the drop? Although this is class-leading economy for the ES, it's still slightly underwhelming. I mean an ES likely does not weigh that much more compared with a Camry V6 XLE, so what happened? Surely the ES is just as aerodynamic as the Camry? The current ES gets 21/29, so I'm dissapointed in not seeing 22/31, but hopefully that will change with official EPA figures.

A great car inside and out, surprised and happy about the unique features offered on this new ES. Expectations were extremely high with the ultra lux package, so there was bound to be dissapointment. If you remember the price point that the ES starts at, the luxury offered is quite amazing.
Old 02-08-06, 12:19 PM
Chi-town
Pole Position

I only like the new ES's exterior. Although, I'm sure that the interior probably feels great; I loved the flow of ES's old interior, the new one just isn't doing it for me like the old one was. Coincedentally, I didn't like the ES330's exterior. It's like Lexus flip-floped the vehicle this time making the exterior look better than the interior. I guess you can't have it your way all of the time.

I believe that Lexus has hit its target market for the ES, because (no offense) I still cannot see myself being caught dead in one. I just do not feel "old" enough to buy one. Again, no offense to anyone, but to me the ES seems to be targeted towards the 45-65 age group.

Also, why didn't Lexus give the ES RWD, AWD or Hybrid as an option? IMHO, FWD only, with all of that HP, is a waste.
Old 02-08-06, 12:21 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

looks like we got better shots of the es thru the "spies" than the official car show debut!?! thanks guys!
Old 02-08-06, 12:25 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Chi-town
I only like the new ES's exterior. Although, I'm sure that the interior probably feels great; I loved the flow of ES's old interior, the new one just isn't doing it for me like the old one was. Coincedentally, I didn't like the ES330's exterior. It's like Lexus flip-floped the vehicle this time making the exterior look better than the interior. I guess you can't have it your way all of the time.

I believe that Lexus has hit its target market for the ES, because (no offense) I still cannot see myself being caught dead in one. I just do not feel "old" enough to buy one. Again, no offense to anyone, but to me the ES seems to be targeted towards the 45-65 age group.

Also, why didn't Lexus give the ES RWD, AWD or Hybrid as an option? IMHO, FWD only, with all of that HP, is a waste.
Why does Lexus offer the GS and IS then? It will never happen.

Lexus will never give you a "swiss army knife" type of car, that offers BIG interior room, incredible comfort and luxury, RWD, AWD, and hybrid. Oh wait, actually, I think I described the new LS, but then again, it IS the flagship after all .

If the ES was RWD or had AWD option, GS sales would SERIOUSLY fall. If you want RWD, get an IS. If you want AWD, get an IS. If price is not an issue, then get a GS or LS.

IF you want *everything*: RWD, AWD, high power, big interior, high comfort, AND a low price, sorry mate, such a car doesn't exist.

Lexus is offering a specialized approach to meet the demands of the specific market. They know what they're doing.

Buyers who look for the same things as you are fringe buyers, and such buyers only make up a tiny percent of the market.

When you consider Lexus quality and reliability, on top of everything else that their new models offer, this is about as good as it gets if you want a car with "everything".
Old 02-08-06, 12:29 PM
halfpast3
Driver School Candidate

I think Lexus has done an admirable job with the new ES, despite the lack of wood. Enigma, nice rendering by the way. You should definitely start producing that insert, they would sell. I currently drive an 05 ES and I like it a lot. It is by no means a corner carver and it wasn't meant to be. The straight line acceleration of the new ES is pretty good but I was hoping for sub 6.5 secs to 60. Oh well, maybe next time. Oh by the way I'm only 31, I drive an ES not because I wanted to be an old man but because the amount of luxury at that pricepoint was unattainable in any other car. That is why Lexus sells so many of these cars.
Old 02-08-06, 12:34 PM
brittho
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I too expected more from the Ultra lux package, but I guess are expectations were extremely high, as some people (like myself) were expecting the ultra-lux package to contain some LS conveniences. I must say though, that the 4th gen ES is very luxurious as it is, so making this new ES a big leap forward would be quite hard. This is an evolution rather than revolution. The 6th gen ES will likely be revolutionary, as that will no longer be on the Camry platform.

I do question lack of reclining rear seats ... they should have offered power reclining rear seats in the ultra-lux package.

Nonetheless, the ES does have several significant features over the IS: "upgraded" perforated leather in the ultra lux package, which apparently seems like a step above the regular perforated leather. There's also of course the glass roof, which the IS does not have, and the first-in class rear seat side airbags. Another awesome unique feature I caught in the press release was the optional power driver’s seat bottom cushion extender. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt the C Class has that, and I only know of the 3 Series that has a similar sort of feature, so this is definitely an advantageous feature right here. The 3 Series has optional power lumbar support, which I think is a bit different than this cushion extender. But great work for Lexus offering this on the entry level ES. Also the sliding armrests are another unique touch. The new ES hands down outguns the Acura TL in luxury. In performance, it also likely won't be that far behind.

The ES interior definitely looks more luxurious in the Lexus site preview pics than the IS. It also seems like the ES may possibly have more interior illumination than the IS.

Also keep in mind the press kit only lists preliminary specs, so the full specs may not have been listed possibly.

One more thing that seems dissapointing is that the estimated fuel economy of 21/30 seems a bit low. The Camry V6 will has estimated economy of 22/31, so why the drop? Although this is class-leading economy for the ES, it's still slightly underwhelming. I mean an ES likely does not weigh that much more compared with a Camry V6 XLE, so what happened? Surely the ES is just as aerodynamic as the Camry? The current ES gets 21/29, so I'm dissapointed in not seeing 22/31, but hopefully that will change with official EPA figures.

A great car inside and out, surprised and happy about the unique features offered on this new ES. Expectations were extremely high with the ultra lux package, so there was bound to be dissapointment. If you remember the price point that the ES starts at, the luxury offered is quite amazing.
I thought I was the only one that was hoping for a little more economy and a more sensible engine choice. Since the ES is the entry level luxury side sort of like the IS is the entry level sport for Lexus I was hoping for a choice in engines for the ES. Having the 3.0 as the entry level engine from the GS300 and then the 3.5 as the optional engine would have helped economy a bit as I would bet that new 3.0 would give you a combined milage of about 27 if not higher versus the new combined average of 25. Allowing then for the ES300 with the 3.0 and cloth with just standard stuff start at $29,900.00 would really help out allot with brining in business by having an entry level model start at sub-30K prices. As far as my opinion about the new ES350 as a whole though...it is just EPIC!!!!
Old 02-08-06, 12:52 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by halfpast3
I think Lexus has done an admirable job with the new ES, despite the lack of wood. Enigma, nice rendering by the way. You should definitely start producing that insert, they would sell. I currently drive an 05 ES and I like it a lot. It is by no means a corner carver and it wasn't meant to be. The straight line acceleration of the new ES is pretty good but I was hoping for sub 6.5 secs to 60. Oh well, maybe next time. Oh by the way I'm only 31, I drive an ES not because I wanted to be an old man but because the amount of luxury at that pricepoint was unattainable in any other car. That is why Lexus sells so many of these cars.
Toyota typically underrates the performance of their cars. Expect to see a low 6 sec 0 - 60 time.
Old 02-08-06, 12:57 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Man, the doors on the new car really took a hit IMO. The current one is so much more appealing. The rear doors on the new car look terribly cheap IMO.

Old 02-08-06, 01:05 PM
halfpast3
Driver School Candidate

Yeah you're right. Looks like the back of a Corolla with leather seats. Also it looks like more material (leather) was used in the last generation ES, evident by the bunching of leather on the seats. These are still minor details in my eyes. If I could, I would trade mine for this version.

Quick Reply: 2007 Es 350 (hi-res pics begin on pg. 27)