ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

2007 Es 350 (hi-res pics begin on pg. 27)

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-06 | 01:21 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Agreed on the doors.

They look just like the Camry XLE's...

And as for the photoshopped wood trim on the dash, thx guys for the comments, I wish I could produce such an Item but the closest I get to obtaining and cutting wood is making home repairs, lol. BTW, the wood piece that I used for that PS is the LS 430's dash trim for that very spot.

I really expect Lexus to put more wood in; ironically the wood trim issue style hearkens back to the original LS 400.

But there is still more wood than the 2ES, which just had the center console--that's it. But now the upper doors have gone to bare again. BTW, notice the (single) styling cue; the curve on the door flows

I wonder what it would have been like to stick the current 4ES interior inside the 5ES, with a stretch. Sometimes I think Toyota takes the efficiency/manufacturing angle too seriously (reducing # of parts with each model), maybe some of that effect came out in the 5ES.

Maybe the refresh will fix things...

Last edited by encore888; 02-08-06 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02-08-06 | 01:29 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Toyota typically underrates the performance of their cars. Expect to see a low 6 sec 0 - 60 time.
Yep if C&D can accelerate from 0 to 60mph in 6 seconds flat in the Avalon, which is just as heavy as the new ES but with one less gear, I don't see why the new ES can't achieve the same if not better..
Old 02-08-06 | 01:31 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
One more thing that seems dissapointing is that the estimated fuel economy of 21/30 seems a bit low. The Camry V6 will has estimated economy of 22/31, so why the drop? Although this is class-leading economy for the ES, it's still slightly underwhelming. I mean an ES likely does not weigh that much more compared with a Camry V6 XLE, so what happened? Surely the ES is just as aerodynamic as the Camry? The current ES gets 21/29, so I'm dissapointed in not seeing 22/31, but hopefully that will change with official EPA figures.
Yeah, I was about to say that too. 21/30 is really disappointing considering even the Avalon, with one less gear, is getting 22/31.

Wonder where the drop comes from.
Old 02-08-06 | 01:38 PM
halfpast3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Yep if C&D can accelerate from 0 to 60mph in 6 seconds flat in the Avalon, which is just as heavy as the new ES but with one less gear, I don't see why the new ES can't achieve the same if not better..
Six seconds flat would be great, right in the range or better than Maxima, TL, G35, C-Class, and 3 series. That alone makes this car worth it to me, now only if it were RWD. Hopefully the next rendition is RWD.
Old 02-08-06 | 01:41 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

weight distribution is 61/39 ? I knew FWD cars were front heavy, but isn't that sort of extreme?
Old 02-08-06 | 01:46 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Number of gears doesn't affect 0-60 time, it's the gearing ratio of the lower gears that matters.

TRD, you could get rear side airbags in the E46 BMW, as well as, I believe, the B6 A4. I'm sure there were others as well. It's not a first-in-class thing, unless you don't consider those to be in the same class and you're putting the ES in a class by itself...

I'm not a fan of wood in cars. Wood belongs on trees and pianos. However, given that Lexus put some wood in this car, I would have wanted more appropriate utilization. None on the rear doors and none on the front passenger side gives it a horribly cheap look compared to its usage elsewhere in the car. Also, I'm so not feeling the round top of the center stack. And the extensive wood paneling by the gear shifter makes the top of the center stack and the front passenger dash look even more disproportionately wood-less.

Otherwise, I like how exterior styling is evolutionary from the 4ES, although it may be a bit TOO evolutionary. The profile looks almost exactly the same. I'm glad to see the grilles are finally starting to have a Lexus-family look to them, but the tails aren't different enough from the IS/GS tails. I do, however, like the clean rear door lines. Compared to the strangely complex cuts and creases on the 2IS's, this is a gajillion times better looking.

Overall, from these pics alone, I give the 5ES 2.5/5 stars. That's compared to 2.5/5 stars for the 4ES...
Old 02-08-06 | 01:47 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by halfpast3
Six seconds flat would be great, right in the range or better than Maxima, TL, G35, C-Class, and 3 series. That alone makes this car worth it to me, now only if it were RWD. Hopefully the next rendition is RWD.
I don't think they can ever make it RWD. What would be the point of the GS, then?
Old 02-08-06 | 02:09 PM
b1ackhawk
Intermediate
CL Folding 3M

Originally Posted by Incendiary
I don't think they can ever make it RWD. What would be the point of the GS, then?
ES is not for people who care about performance, nor enthusiasts. Its just a good reliable car, with enough power to get on the highway with ease and get all of the luxuries of a more expensive car. This car is basically aimed at people who want a luxury car but cant or dont appreciate a driving machine. It also makes a great daily driver for those of us who dont want our "driving machine" to get to dirty
Old 02-08-06 | 02:17 PM
Bluesman2
Driver

Also a good luxury car for those of us who don't want to shout out that we have money.....and if it does get dirty just head to the dealer cause' they'll wash it for free.
Old 02-08-06 | 02:34 PM
mink92890
Lead Lap

About the door, the dark gray top is taken from the RX400h, as my car has that. I didnt notice this until then. The doors look EXTREMELY cheap. Where is the wood?

Mink92890
Old 02-08-06 | 02:37 PM
DallasLex
Advanced

Originally Posted by enigma354
Here's a quick chop of what the ES interior is missing...
Great job! Lexus should take note for the interior refreshening 3 years from now.
Old 02-08-06 | 03:00 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mink92890
About the door, the dark gray top is taken from the RX400h, as my car has that. I didnt notice this until then. The doors look EXTREMELY cheap. Where is the wood
I think there is wood trim on the door armrest, just not as prominent as those on the door panels of the current one.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 02-08-06 at 03:07 PM.
Old 02-08-06 | 03:01 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SC4Hundo
ES is not for people who care about performance, nor enthusiasts. Its just a good reliable car, with enough power to get on the highway with ease and get all of the luxuries of a more expensive car. This car is basically aimed at people who want a luxury car but cant or dont appreciate a driving machine. It also makes a great daily driver for those of us who dont want our "driving machine" to get to dirty
I dunno, I think if it were RWD and priced the same, GS sales would fall through the floor. We're talking a $15k difference, added "performance" or not.
Old 02-08-06 | 03:02 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Incendiary
I'm not a fan of wood in cars. Wood belongs on trees and pianos. However, given that Lexus put some wood in this car, I would have wanted more appropriate utilization. None on the rear doors and none on the front passenger side gives it a horribly cheap look compared to its usage elsewhere in the car. Also, I'm so not feeling the round top of the center stack. And the extensive wood paneling by the gear shifter makes the top of the center stack and the front passenger dash look even more disproportionately wood-less.
That cuts through crystal clear to what's off, to some degree. For true perfection they would balance it out.

I thought too that the more 'severe' dash would be reserved for the GS/IS...even Camry. Plus to match the LS 460 the wood trimmings should be similar...no?

It seems that the ES 330 cabin accoutrements cannot be beaten yet. This car is good, it's got all the Lexus features one expects, plus a few more. Design wise I have to see it to be sure.
Old 02-08-06 | 03:04 PM
mink92890
Lead Lap

Where and what is the Ultra Luxury Package that everyone was talking about?

Mink92890

Quick Reply: 2007 Es 350 (hi-res pics begin on pg. 27)