ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

2007 Es 350 (hi-res pics begin on pg. 27)

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-06, 03:07 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's not the LS ultra luxe, by any means...MarkLevi/wipers/camera/power sunshade...

+ Panoramic roof; the trump card.

Last edited by encore888; 02-09-06 at 01:01 AM.
Old 02-08-06, 03:09 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by enigma354
That cuts through crystal clear to what's off, to some degree. For true perfection they would balance it out.

I thought too that the more 'severe' dash would be reserved for the GS/IS...even Camry. Plus to match the LS 460 the wood trimmings should be similar...no?

It seems that the ES 330 cabin accoutrements cannot be beaten yet. This car is good, it's got all the Lexus features one expects, plus a few more. Design wise I have to see it to be sure.
ES330? Do you mean ES350, or are you talking 4ES?
Old 02-08-06, 03:13 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am talking about the ES 300/330 (4ES) cabin design elements--wood trim, the works...

bottom line: there's more wood in the 4ES cabin than the 5ES.
Old 02-08-06, 03:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
You mean the new ES350 is better than the current LS430 already ?
hahaa, i was kinda exergerating, but i am not surprised that the new es is going to be close to the ls430, luxury wise. that's how they set the bar imho. so i can only imagine about the new ls430. of course, power is still not comparable. but in terms of the feeling inside, lexus is doing a fantastic job

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
I thought you' ve sworn off FWD cars especially with 270 hp & the torque steer
well of course, for MY car, i dont' think i will get the es. for for the babies down the road, it's not a bad choice. though i think some sort of suv is better
Old 02-08-06, 03:43 PM
vinster29
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Unhappy Not what I expected

This is definitely no CLS guys!! Lexus went with the conservative approach on this car. The outside is basically more of a facelift than a total redesign and while the interior design is nice it could definitely use more wood trim as others have mentioned. And how about that rear end, talk about UGLY!! They should have taken the rear end from the 2007 camry!! I do like that that they have added more luxury features to this car but in typical Lexus fashion the majority of the new features are optional on this car!! The Avalon is still a much better deal compared to the new ES!! At least they put a better engine in this car compared to the previous ES!! Lexus definitely could have done better with this car espicially when you look at what they did with the new LS and IS!!They definitely dropped the ball on this one. I guess they just didn't have enough time to design a good ES with all the time spent on the IS350. This one should definitely be taken back to the drawing board!!

Last edited by vinster29; 02-08-06 at 03:48 PM.
Old 02-08-06, 07:27 PM
Jayson
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Not that it really matters because Lexus is going to sell this car like hot cakes anyways, but this is the 1st L-Finesse Lexus that I do not like. The center console is a disappointment and not at all what the exterior of the car would have you think the interior will look like. The rear of the car is just plain ugly and i don't understand why they went this design. I'm impressed with the car's power ratings though and feel sorry for all those GS owners who bought the 06 GS300. Kinda sucks that an ES has more power than that car. Why Lexus didn't throw the 350 engine in the GS at initial release is beyond me.
Old 02-08-06, 07:33 PM
Agni88
Driver

Not feeling the design

I had such high hopes for this car all the other new L-finesse cars look amazing but this...
Old 02-08-06, 08:45 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Incendiary
Number of gears doesn't affect 0-60 time, it's the gearing ratio of the lower gears that matters.

TRD, you could get rear side airbags in the E46 BMW, as well as, I believe, the B6 A4. I'm sure there were others as well. It's not a first-in-class thing, unless you don't consider those to be in the same class and you're putting the ES in a class by itself...
I never knew that about the E46. Are you positive about that? Looking at the E90, that's the current one on sale now, as opposed to the E46, it doesn't offer rear side airbags

http://www.bmwusa.com/Vehicles/3/200...n/features.htm

Looking at the A4, yes, there are optional rear side airbags:
http://www.audiusa.com/features_spec...an&tab=options

Even though the ES does not compete with the A4 or E90, it still trumps them. The E90 doesn't offer rear side airbags period, and the A4 matches it as an option. BUT, neither the A4 nor E90 offer driver and front passenger knee airbags. Any way you slice it, the ES has more airbags than any other car in its class. And in case you're wondering what the ES competes with, cars like the Cadillac DTS, the Acura TL, and to some extent, the Buick Lucerne, although that competes more with the Avalon.

If you want to be REALLY general, the ES, IS, A4, E90, etc are ALL entry level luxury vehicles. But realistically, they're not in the same class, as the ES never was, and still isn't considered a "luxury sports sedan". So realistically, the rear side airbags ARE first in class in this case, for the ES.

The IS competes with the A4 and E90, and again, the IS trumps both of those because it too has knee airbags. The A4 manages to trump it though in the rear side airbags.
Old 02-08-06, 08:51 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by enigma354
It's not the LS ultra luxe, by any means...MarkLevi/wipers/camera/power sunshade...

+ Panoramic roof; the trump card.
Don't forget rear seat side airbags, and the driver's seat power cushion extender .

On another note, looking at the interior pics closely, the centre dash/console is NOT symmetrical! . It's a bit slanted towards the driver, looking at the wood on the centre console, and then how the oval at the top curves towards the driver's door. It's really strange looking like that. I'm actually fine with the oval, but it's the non-symmetrical wood on the centre console that really brings it down for me. That and the lack of reclining rear seats. This isn't a driver's car, so what exactly was Lexus' reasoning for that unsymmetrical centre console?

I'm liking the exterior more and more, and for the most part, I DO like the centre dash, and I love the gauges. Hopefully I'll get used to that non-symmetrical wood trim, that's the biggest visual detraction for me in the interior.
Old 02-08-06, 08:55 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I never knew that about the E46. Are you positive about that? Looking at the E90, that's the current one on sale now, as opposed to the E46, it doesn't offer rear side airbags

http://www.bmwusa.com/Vehicles/3/200...n/features.htm

Looking at the A4, yes, there are optional rear side airbags:
http://www.audiusa.com/features_spec...an&tab=options

Even though the ES does not compete with the A4 or E90, it still trumps them. The E90 doesn't offer rear side airbags period, and the A4 matches it as an option. BUT, neither the A4 nor E90 offer driver and front passenger knee airbags. Any way you slice it, the ES has more airbags than any other car in its class. And in case you're wondering what the ES competes with, cars like the Cadillac DTS, the Acura TL, and to some extent, the Buick Lucerne, although that competes more with the Avalon.

The IS competes with the A4 and E90, and again, the IS trumps both of those because it too has knee airbags. The A4 manages to trump it though in the rear side airbags.
Yeah, the E46 offered them as an option. You had to be "in the know" about it and tell the CA when you ordered, though, because usually they didn't know about it either. I believe invoice was $350.

http://www.edmunds.com/used/2005/bmw...pprice.13.BMW*

Anyway, dunno about knee airbags, you may be right about that.

ES competes with DTS? I guess, but it's a bit of a stretch in terms of size and price. Concept is similar I suppose (FWD, luxury boat).
Old 02-08-06, 08:59 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Incendiary
Yeah, the E46 offered them as an option. You had to be "in the know" about it and tell the CA when you ordered, though, because usually they didn't know about it either. I believe invoice was $350.

http://www.edmunds.com/used/2005/bmw...pprice.13.BMW*

Anyway, dunno about knee airbags, you may be right about that.

ES competes with DTS? I guess, but it's a bit of a stretch in terms of size and price. Concept is similar I suppose (FWD, luxury boat).
Hmm, are you sure those are rear seat side airbags, or are they curtain side airbags? It's hard to tell which one it is .

Well the ES really has no direct competitor, the DTS is pretty close though, and so is the Acura TL.
Old 02-08-06, 09:00 PM
GS3rdwow
Lead Lap

I cant believe the car only has one color interrior wood trim and that too - BROWN WOOD?!?!?!??!?!?! it shoul dhave been the red walnut!

Lexus - uv got to be kidding! More peopel want the red walnut than the brown one!!
Old 02-08-06, 09:15 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Don't forget rear seat side airbags, and the driver's seat power cushion extender .

On another note, looking at the interior pics closely, the centre dash/console is NOT symmetrical! . It's a bit slanted towards the driver, looking at the wood on the centre console, and then how the oval at the top curves towards the driver's door. It's really strange looking like that. I'm actually fine with the oval, but it's the non-symmetrical wood on the centre console that really brings it down for me.
Yes, the whole center panel on the dash is slanted towards the driver's side. It may seem a little strange, but the front dash on a car is never symmetrical anyway, it may need some getting used to, but maybe not so bad afterall . . .

Old 02-08-06, 10:10 PM
S L I C K
Lead Lap

You can find tons of photos of the 2007 ES 350 at the following link ( Auto Spies ): http://shows.autospies.com/gallery/s...p?galleryid=35.
Old 02-08-06, 10:37 PM
GS3rdwow
Lead Lap

Attached Thumbnails 2007 Es 350 (hi-res pics begin on pg. 27)-bbk.jpg  

Quick Reply: 2007 Es 350 (hi-res pics begin on pg. 27)