ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

2007 Es 350 (hi-res pics begin on pg. 27)

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-06, 04:58 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Our release date in the East is...

Originally Posted by DallasLex
Mark your calenders! The Lexus rep at the autoshow told me Apri 14th! I jokingly said: "Isn't it kind of strange to release it the day before tax day?" and he said no I said "in your area(Dallas market) it'll be April 14th."
I took that to mean it may be released sooner like the first week of April in some areas.
April 21st, '06. The Camry hybrid is based on a 4 cylinder plus electric motor/generators. Lexus would use a V6 in a hybrid. The new engine with 272 HP should elevate the ES350 into a high performance sedan in acceleration. The new 6 speed automatic is described to be very smooth. The Camry will also have this automatic. So it might be a good facsimile of the ES350. The dual exhausts of the ES and the tuning make it 272 HP and rated with Premium fuel. The engine has dual variable valve timing 60 degree banked double overhead cam setup. It does not have the direct injection of the IS350. It has the less exotic sequential port injection. Fuel efficiency is improved over the ES330. Emissions are also reduced.

Finally the ES gets the useful backup camera and Bluetooth. Navigation will use the Gen 5 which is stunning in clarity and speed. A new cutting edge Mark Levinson system will be offerred. This will equal the content of the GS300/430. VSC will now be standard. This current batch of improvements will create a new benchmark in the segment. New colors also say that the blandness of the past is over....

Rock
Old 03-07-06, 09:56 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wanderer99
I've seen all the official Toyota press pictures and the live online video launch. I can't wait for the on-sale date as I am going to buy one. If anyone in Canada has any information on option packs or pricing, please post.

The last third of this video shows the ES350 driving in some type of Lexus press video. It looks so nice when it is moving, even better than the still pics I think. Apologies if this video link has been posted already, but I couldn't see it anywhere.
Great video. Thanks! The New ES is starting to grow on me a bit, but still hasn't convinced me over the current ES just yet.
Old 03-07-06, 10:23 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

I cant wait to see this car. I'm liking the pics and videos so far.
Old 03-07-06, 10:33 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Originally Posted by Shred
I know I had been a bit concerned by the lack of a door molding on the ES.

The 2007 Camry has them as an option so maybe we will be able to get on the Lexus ES also.
I'm just worried about getting a million door knicks all up and down the side of the door.
If you look on the accssory list in the Sticky, there is an option for side door moldings. So you are in luck.
Old 03-07-06, 04:40 PM
Shred
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by magneto112
If you look on the accssory list in the Sticky, there is an option for side door moldings. So you are in luck.
Yep, I see it now, thanks.
No Camry's to drive here yet, I just wanted to test one out. But the dealer tells me a fully loaded Camry XLE will cost about $32G. Pretty pricey especially if the ES starts at a price below $35G.
I think the ES looks so much better. I'd love to see a pic of that black fabric interior.
Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Lexus for giving me the cloth option in this car.

I don't know about you guys but the wait is killing me
Old 03-07-06, 04:55 PM
Shred
Driver

I'm curious about HID headlights. Are they worth it?

My only concern would be in close driving they could actually be too bright, meaning that if your close behind a vehicle with a chrome bumper like a truck, would the extra brightness glare back at you as to be annoying?

I'm sort of light sensitive at night.

I know when I see those cars coming at be with what I assume are HID lights because they are so bright that they are almost blinding to me.

I don't want to get that bounce backed reflectivity off of the car in front of me because they are so damm bright.

I don't think I'm going to get them.

Any thoughts or experience with this?

Consumer Reports has some interesting thoughts on this HERE.

Last edited by Shred; 03-07-06 at 05:06 PM.
Old 03-07-06, 05:07 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Shred
I'm curious about HID headlights. Are they worth it?

My only concern would be in close driving they could actually be too bright, meaning that if your close behind a vehicle with a chrome bumper like a truck, would the extra brightness glare back at you as to be annoying?

I'm sort of light sensitive at night.

I know when I see those cars coming at be with what I assume are HID lights because they are so bright that they are almost blinding to me.

I don't want to get that bounce backed reflectivity off of the car in front of me because they are so damm bright.

Any thoughts or experience with this?
I'm curious about your use of a bold font. Is it worth the eye strain it puts on us?

Well seriously, I think Lexus is very conservative on the angles of its HIDs compared to many other makes such as BMW so I don't think you should worry too much about blinding others. And since the auto-leveling lights are always aiming downwards, you shouldn't worry about being blinded by the reflection either. HID lights do illuminate much better than halogens and increases safety greatly IMO. I feel much safer driving a car equipped with HIDs at night than a car without them.
Old 03-07-06, 06:03 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
I'm curious about your use of a bold font. Is it worth the eye strain it puts on us?

Well seriously, I think Lexus is very conservative on the angles of its HIDs compared to many other makes such as BMW so I don't think you should worry too much about blinding others. And since the auto-leveling lights are always aiming downwards, you shouldn't worry about being blinded by the reflection either. HID lights do illuminate much better than halogens and increases safety greatly IMO. I feel much safer driving a car equipped with HIDs at night than a car without them.
and plus HID's increase the luxury feel of the car, wonder if the camry will have HID's as an option, well atlease one the XLE. I also know that the XLE camry will have smart key/push-button start as an option
Old 03-07-06, 06:13 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJL0365
and plus HID's increase the luxury feel of the car, wonder if the camry will have HID's as an option, well atlease one the XLE.
According to the official standard and optional equipment list, it doesn't.
http://www.toyota.com/images/vehicle...y/features.pdf

I guess they want to leave a few things to the Lexus nameplate after all. Then again, the Prius has had the HID option for a while now, proving that a Toyota can have HID.
Old 03-07-06, 06:21 PM
Shred
Driver

I guess I'll have to try then for myself in a night test drive.

I think the bold font makes it easier to see the text, ya nut!!!

Don't mess with me or Il'll get
RADICAL!
Old 03-07-06, 10:31 PM
DallasLex
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I wish there was at least one pic. with the body side molding listed in the options:

ACCESSORIES
Alloy Wheels
- 17” Wheel (E-Sport)
Audio – XM and Sirius Satellite Radio
- Uses genuine Lexus XM or Sirius receiver and antenna
- Provides over 125 channels covering music, news, sports, talk, comedy and children’s programs as well
as traffic and weather
Body Side Molding
Car Cover
- Special fabric sheds moisture easily and dries quickly
Old 03-07-06, 11:22 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

I wonder what the reasoning behind making body side molding an optional accessory is in the first place. Does it add that much cost, or does it ruin the exterior design that much, or does it add that much aerodynamic drag?
Old 03-08-06, 01:19 AM
Shred
Driver

I wonder what the reasoning behind making body side molding an optional accessory is in the first place. Does it add that much cost, or does it ruin the exterior design that much, or does it add that much aerodynamic drag?

Yes, the drag coeeficient of molding is 0.00000000021

The only logical explanation can be is that it gives buyers a choice.
I didn't know there was a huge anti molding lobby out there, but I guess there is.

I listed the Camry PIC to give us a basic idea of what the molding will look like.
I'm sure when they offer it they will show a picture.

I'm curious as to what the standard steering wheel without the wood and leather looks like.
I guess it's just a standard rubberized plastic one.
I just wonder if the wood part might feel hard after a while and get annoying.
I'm sure I'll get it anyway and if it does annoy me I can always cover it in leather with a Wheelskins cover.
Old 03-08-06, 07:09 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

I'm sure the steering wheel will atleast be leather. Same with the shift ****. I dont think Lexus ever offered one of those rubberized wheels. Those suck.
Old 03-08-06, 11:35 AM
DallasLex
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by magneto112
I'm sure the steering wheel will atleast be leather. Same with the shift ****. I dont think Lexus ever offered one of those rubberized wheels. Those suck.
You are correct! You'll never see a rubberized steering wheel from Lexus in the U.S. However, I have seen LS400's with rubber wheel and cloth interior in Canada.

Quick Reply: 2007 Es 350 (hi-res pics begin on pg. 27)