ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

2007 Es 350 (hi-res pics begin on pg. 27)

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-06, 05:58 AM
Shred
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The local Toyota dealer just called me to let me know the Camry is in!!!
I'm gonna try to get over there today.
That way I can get a basic feel of the new Lexus since they are very similar.

Test drive review comin' up!!!
Old 03-10-06, 07:49 AM
GS3rdwow
Lead Lap

Um no the new camry and new ES are not the same. The new ES is a totally different new animal altogether.

I dont want to reiterate the same discussions about the "camry is the same as new ES". But trust me it is not the same thing.
Old 03-10-06, 08:32 AM
DallasLex
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I remember someone had mentioned the tail lights on the ES350 are not LED. Boy I hope they're wrong because the Camry's sure are!

May be the reason was that no one has seen the tail lights come on when looking at the ES.
Old 03-10-06, 07:43 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

the regular gasoline camry's dont have LED tail lamps but the hybrid version will get them as standard equiptment like on the highlander hybrid, and prius.
Old 03-10-06, 10:44 PM
Shred
Driver

I test drove a Camry today, here's my review:

I drove a 2007 Camry XLE V6 today. It is a very nice car.

It does look a whole lot better in person than in the PICS. The front end to me is still a little fugly but it's not bad. The rear looks great.

It seems to be the same size as the older Camry. I though for some reason it would be bigger, but it's a good size.

The seats were very comfortable and everything was placed where it was supposed to be, very convenient. I guess the thing that struck me the most is that it just felt, and drove very "Camrylike."

Yes, there were a lot of new features but it feels similar, but better than the old Camry's. In a way it still feels like a Mom's car but that's the beauty of it. An effortless fine working machine. The V6 is nice and powerful, all that it should have been all along.

The XLE accelerates very smoothly, its not a jumpy snap your head type of start.
I thought maybe the initial start off the line would be a little quicker, and I bet the 4 cyl might be because of the lighter weight. And I'm not saying it is slow in any way.
But to me my 92 Camry is possibly quicker off the line and drive a bit more fun, go cart like.
But my Camry doesn't dive anywhere near as smooth as the new one does.
After that initial start is where the difference becomes apparent and you can really feel the power. Whatever you need it feels like it is there. On the highway the passing power is excellent.

I am now considering driving the 4 cyl to compare it, and I really want to drive the SE to see how much more sportier or fun it is to drive.
The car was loaded with everything including the Navigation system and cost a steep $31,000. The navigation system worked well but seemed to be glitching on and off a little bit.
The salesman said it shouldn't do that.

I was worried about the side interior door handles being in the way of your arm but that's not the case.
Everything, the armrest, the steering whee, was really comfortable. The telescoping wheel feature is nice.
All in all it just feels like a Camry but a bit newer, with more features, a more solid smoother ride, and a really nice bit of extra power.
There is no engine strain at all, it's a very solid powerplant.

I still think the Honda Accord V6 is a quicker car and is a lot more fun to drive.
But the Honda is a much rougher ride and after a while it gets annoying.
With this Camry you might just well fall asleep while driving it because it's so comfortable.

One thing I didn't like was the size of the gas pedal. Could they make it any more smaller?!!
Gee man, it's TINY, I'd like a little bit more for my foot to press down on. It seems like a woman's pedal.
In fact overall, and I hate to say it this way, but the entire car seemed to be designed to be aesthetically pleasing to women drivers.
That's why I really want to drive the SE and see if it it's a bit more manly.

I'm going to post a bunch of PICS I took. Notice the one of the aux jack for the radio. I wish I had a cord to hook up my iPod to it. I think it will play from the iPod but I don't know if it can actually control the iPod, I don't think so.

All in all I liked it even if it was a little bit boring. But it was only boring in the sense as to that there were no surprises and it is just a great family car that runs very well.
It shifts smoothly and is very quiet.

As I said now that I know that the new Lexus ES comes in cloth I will probably buy that.
But I know it's going to cost me. It's Toyota's loss because I'm still annoyed that I can't get the XLE with a V6 in cloth seating. I might change my mind and get an SE for the sportier drive but I'm not that fond of the SE interior.

I'm not really that fond of the XLE interior that much either. Not that there is anything wrong with it but it seems bland. It's just to female like for me. The steering wheel was leather, no wood, and the controls were of this aluminum colored plastic. In a sense they seemed a bit cheap to me. For $31 grand I want to feel more luxury. That's why I'm considering the Lexus. I'll post a PIC and you can see how much, in my opinion, better everything looks in the Lexus.

I don't really like that light color wood but the wood did look very nice and not like fake wood.

I'm sorry if this is a confusing, rambling review. All in all this is quite a nice car.
The V6 power is great. The handling is good, solid, but not sporty.
This Camry seems to be better balanced that previous years models.
This is the best Camry they ever built. I only wish that there were something that was a little more exciting than the Camry, yet not quite as rough riding as the Accord.

Maybe the SE will fit that bill but it might just be a little more excitement to the blandness.
Maybe I'll just have to buy a little BMW convertible in addition for Sunday driving when I need a thrill!

If anyone has any questions please ask. If anyone want's the huge 5 mega pixel PICS please let me know. I'm gonna size them down and post them soon. If I can think of any other thoughts I had I'll let you know.

It's a Camry, it's a great car. I'd take it over any similar American made car.

By the way it was an XLE and the stop light was LED.
All I can say about your ES / Camry comment is that I hope the ES will be more exciting to drive.

it's sthe same engine, same platform, how much different can it be?

Here is the aux jack for the stereo.

Old 03-10-06, 10:45 PM
Shred
Driver

Notice the multilayered dash with the little screens in front of the gauges.

Old 03-10-06, 11:07 PM
Shred
Driver

Hey, What's the deal here? His AC broke?!!!
Old 03-11-06, 09:22 AM
DallasLex
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, so far the part I hate the most is the color of trim around the Nav/Radio..... What's with this lime/puke green color? Couldn't they have just use fake aluminum look around it like the SE?
Old 03-11-06, 10:05 AM
ncblue
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just returned from Lexus of Nashville Cool Springs! The salesman was busy with another customer and gave me his ES350 color chart to view. The Royal Ruby Metallic was darker than I expected. It was closer to a burgundy. The Moon Shell Mica was just a tad darker than the Tungsten Pearl. It is closer to the Alabaster color with a darker tint. He stated that it is a 2k increase over last years model. I had heard from a dealer in Chatttanooga that it will be only a $500 increase.
Old 03-11-06, 10:58 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Those are some nice pics of the Camry. I finally saw a new one earlier this week in blue. Its a nice car. Definitely will soooo many.
Old 03-11-06, 12:36 PM
Shred
Driver

Originally Posted by DallasLex
Well, so far the part I hate the most is the color of trim around the Nav/Radio..... What's with this lime/puke green color? Couldn't they have just use fake aluminum look around it like the SE?
It's gay is what it is!
Thank goodness the ES looks so much more manly.
Old 03-11-06, 12:41 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shred
It's gay is what it is!
Thank goodness the ES looks so much more manly.
I wonder if that piece of blue/green plastic is easily swappable and that they'll start selling different "face plates" for it just like earlier cell phones.
Old 03-11-06, 02:29 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

at lease the navi screen is intregated into the dash unlike the previous generation camry and the previous generation ES. That looks alot better.

Love that push button start on the camry, is the camry the only one in its class with this option?

and would love to see black interior in the XLE and a lighter leather like cashmere color to match with the wood like trim
Old 03-11-06, 09:08 PM
Shred
Driver

Although it's not listed as a factory option a dealer in Texas told me this can be had;

Old 03-12-06, 08:39 AM
Shred
Driver

The AC just died in my 92 Camry dangit! I also have to take a bunch of long trips in the next couple of months. I sure wish they would hurry up with this Lexus. It's a bit frustrating since the dealer seems to know nothing, or isn't telling. I wish they would get ONE in so I could drive it an at least order.

Quick Reply: 2007 Es 350 (hi-res pics begin on pg. 27)