ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

2007 Es 350 (hi-res pics begin on pg. 27)

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-06, 11:55 AM
captmark
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default prices

Anybody want to offer a guess on the MSRP for the ES350?
Old 01-31-06, 12:38 PM
Bluesman2
Driver

Probably not much different than today's prices, maybe 2% more.
Old 01-31-06, 12:44 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bluesman2
Probably not much different than today's prices, maybe 2% more.
The way that interior looks has surely convinced me that the new base price can't be much higher than the current generation.
Old 01-31-06, 12:52 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DallasLex
BTW, why can the New Camry get a good-sized storage bin/cup holders next to the shifter while in the New ES the shifter has to waste all the space there?

I want that storage space!! Perhaps the shifter thing in the steering column of the new 7-Series and S-Class is a good idea after all.
Old 01-31-06, 01:03 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
BTW, why can the New Camry get a good-sized storage bin/cup holders next to the shifter while in the New ES the shifter has to waste all the space there?

I want that storage space!!
I thought you want an IS350 ?
That door in front of the shifter of the Camry looks like a good size storage bin too that the ES doesn't have . . .
Old 01-31-06, 01:06 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It makes me think of the IS/GS/LS...all of which, the new generation, in the name of design, has minimal storage space in the usual spots.

Even the LS 460 drops the drawer in the center console that the 430 used to have.

I am withholding judgment until I see the rest of the car.

With a panoramic roof, the interior has to match at least that stunning feature.
Old 01-31-06, 02:01 PM
GS3rdwow
Lead Lap

i have to admit im disapointed by the look of the shape of that center console..an OVAL slouchign back like that?!?!?! and .whats up with that transmisison shifter stick THAT LONG!?!?!?!?! it looks so weird

i really hjope the actual car in person doesnt look as werid as this does.

the rear is just an IS with more elegance in it and less spot...the front is very nice and i think the side is very nice too..exterior is pretty solid..its the interior that looks very weird...but they are only pictures - so i hope the real thing is different in person and really gorgeous.
Old 01-31-06, 02:26 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

I just noticed that the way the armrest on the passenger door meets the forward top corner is very reminiscent of the 2ES...

Ah, such fond memories of that car....
Old 01-31-06, 02:27 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Some of you are quite funny. You assume so much based on these rather small couple of pics. First off, the pics, as usually is the case (no surprise here), are taken at strange angles and make the car look awkard. L-Finesse styling I've noticed looks awkward depending on the camera angles, because the complex styling cannot be captured in a picture, and leads to strange proportions. For example, the 3GS looked merely average to me in pics, but when I saw it in real life for the first time, it looked quite different, and I was dazzled. Same with the 2IS. In pictures, it looked pretty decent, but somewhat plain at the same time, if not slightly awkward. As more substantial pics started to appear, my taste for it grew, and when I finally saw a 2IS on the road, like the 3GS, I was dazzled.

L-Finesse styling simply looks so much more dynamic in real life, and I am confident the new LS and ES will be equally dazzling when seen on the road.

From these pics, I really like the front, and I guess the chrome strips on the front fascia are some sort of option, but they really make the car look so much better. Also I absolutely love the rear tail lights. They're curved due to L-Finesse influence and look really good, but they originate from the roots of earlier ES taillights, which were always horizontal.

The side shot, even at that awkward angle, looks good, a mix of the IS and current ES.

The interior was taken at a sharp angle, and believe me when I say this, the oval shape will be less pronounced in reality, and the centre dash definitely will not be so narrow. Proof is the scanned pic that has been taken down, but can be found at other locations. There you can clearly see the centre dash is not as narrow, which means that oval shape will be more gradual and sloping.

We have yet to see the full interior, and I can still see wood fitting above the glovebox, in an L-Finesse design manner. As for the centre console, again, we haven't seen the whole thing, so don't get worried about cupholders.

I find it ironic, that Lexus fans , are so worried about the ES interior being cheap, or not having proper ergonomics or storage spaces. Lexus is a leader in these areas, it should be obvious to all of you. The plastic looks be the same as used on the GS, and that is about the best plastic I have ever seen. The build quality of the new ES also looks impeccable and top notch, noticeably better than the 4ES. The interior looks to be one big piece, as the panel gaps are that small. As good as the 4ES interior is, it looks like a jigsaw puzzle, and the panel gaps while small are still noticeable.The in dash NAV also does not help things. The 5ES interior has beautifully designed wood that flows up from the centre console to the dash like the new LS. Also notice how tightly and precisely the wood fits with the pieces around it. The Acura TL interior almost looks cheap compared to this.

I may sound like a fanboy, but it's truly a sight to behold when seeing L-Finesse styling in the flesh. While cars like Acuras or BMWs are increasingly styled to be aggressive, when seen on the road, there is nothing distinct about them. When I see a new GS or IS on the road, the styling is very dynamic and lively. Especially on sunny days, the styling plays around with colour and does a lot of visual tricks. The car as it moves down the road seems to almost change shape or to have styling which is organic and alive. BMW's styling doesn't do that for me, and neither does Acura's. Acura's styling is merely sharp and aggressive, but is nothing truly distinct. Same with BMW. Although new Lexus cars might not look good on paper, in real life is a different story.

I guess I'm just really excited to see the ES get L-Finesse treatment. Where I live, I rarely see new GS or IS cars. The GS up here in Canada is quite pricey compared to the States, and the IS production is still ramping up, so not too many of those on the streets yet. Plus, Lexus dealers are very scarce in Canada. The ES is the volume seller for Lexus in Canada along with the RX, and I see a lot of 2006 ES models. I know there will be a lot of 2007 ES models on the street, so I can't wait to enjoy all that L-Finesse
Old 01-31-06, 02:29 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

^^^

That was very well-written, and I agree 100%!

I would say that in real life, the console looks more like this:
Attached Thumbnails 2007 Es 350 (hi-res pics begin on pg. 27)-mw5sogx-s.jpg  

Last edited by encore888; 01-31-06 at 02:39 PM.
Old 01-31-06, 03:00 PM
DallasLex
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Lexus did a great job of distinguishing the ES from the Camry. There's no mistaking out there which one is an ES.

Old 01-31-06, 03:02 PM
r4z0r3ck
Lead Lap

i believe in front of the shifter on the new ES is an ashtray/cig lighter area just like the previous ES, while the storage bin is in the armrest.
Old 01-31-06, 03:08 PM
DallasLex
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluesman2
That's correct Dallas, you had it on the 5th. Most of my grief came from the Edmunds forums, but I've always felt I needed to do some charity work over there..... I guess that's my thanks.
Well, now your wish has come true, you saw it from every angle(and my photo comparison of 06 & 07). Is it everything you wished for?
Ready to take out the checkbook and put one in the garage?
Old 01-31-06, 03:14 PM
Harrier330
Driver School Candidate

Loving everything except for the side shot, inside is ok, so what no wood on top glove box looks better than current interior. Call me crazy but would anyone agree with me that this may be the best lexus front that i have seen on a lex, yes it looks like a TL but its the best i think.
Old 01-31-06, 03:42 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by enigma354
^^^

That was very well-written, and I agree 100%!

I would say that in real life, the console looks more like this:
Thanks .

That's a valiant effort, but you can only do so much due to the angle of the pic. I would say the pic was taken at almost a 45 degree angle.

But nonetheless, even with your photoshop approximation, the interior instantly looks better. I predict the console looking straight on will have about that width, and the oval will look about the same, so more gradual and less attention grabbing. I still hold out hope for some wood above the glovebox.

Quick Reply: 2007 Es 350 (hi-res pics begin on pg. 27)