ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

2007 Es 350 (hi-res pics begin on pg. 27)

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-06, 09:07 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

It could be that expensive, but then again, I really dont see it starting at 35K. And I thought the sunroof is standard??

Also, we dont know what options you can get as of yet cause if history proves correct some options will only be made available with leather. Meaning you will have to get leather in order to get for example Navigation.
Old 03-16-06, 09:14 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Moonroof is standard equipment
I also see that they have a separate Navi ML package, so you might be able to get that separate. The car comes with Alloy Wheels, unless you are talking about some sort of OEM Accessory wheel (i.e. G-spyders). Park Assist will probably be around 500, adjustable pedals I dont think are an option this year, and the rest are accessories. Something you can probably make a deal on easily. I'm thinking more of a 37-38K price range.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=200373

Why that price?? Cause I dont see a fully loaded ES350 with UL package going for more than 45K. And that has significantly more options than the one you are pricing out.

You more than likely wont get a deal considering that you will be one of the first few with the ES350. Plus the fact that you are ordering it isnt helping either. There are people that are still buying the IS-series close to list price as well. I'm not telling oyu to rush into things, shop around at other dealers most definitely, but dont be surprised if you have to pay full MSRP.

Last edited by magneto112; 03-16-06 at 09:17 AM.
Old 03-16-06, 09:36 AM
bpv12
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by magneto112
HUH?? Whats that got to do with anything?? Why can't a Camry owner be more proud of his or her purchase as well?? I'm sure that there are many people out there that looked at both models and chose the Camry over the ES because of personal reasons.
I'm not saying that a camry owner shouldnt be proud, but a Lexus carries all the prestige that BMW or Merecedes would. I'm sorry but that's the way it is. But quite frankly with the latest offerings I think they've bridged that gap even more. So if I were in the market I would highly consider the Camry
Old 03-16-06, 09:44 AM
bpv12
Driver School Candidate

W
Originally Posted by Shred
I totally disagree. Despite what some say the Lexus ES is a Camry. It's a very fancy Camry but at the core of it it's basically a Camry with the same platform and engine.

So I feel when we present Camry info here to compare that info is useful. Especially since we have no driving reviews of the ES as of yet.

Yes, yes, I know the ES is going to drive differently, much better, but it's going to give us some idea what the ES will be like.

That's why I went to drive a Camry.

I have to get a new car ASAP. So I may actually have to order the Lexus as soon as they let me when they know the prices without having actually have test driven it. Normally I would never consider doing this but after driving the new Camry I feel confident in ordering the ES.

So I think pictures, specs and driving tests of the Camry are very valuable in this ES forum.

So keep the Camry comparisons coming, I love them!

About some of the other recent comments, and I don't mean to insult anyone, but I think they are wrong to say this little thing or that little thing on the ES is a "design flaw".

I design products for my company and every single day someone calls up and asks why is this like this or that, why didn't you do it this way instead?

Then I have to explain them that I had already thought of that and this is why it's designed that way. Now sometimes someone has an interesting idea, but 99% of the time it is stuff I had already thought of.

There is a difference between aesthetic design and functional design.

I personally think the ash tray is totally useless, as is the cassette player and I would have liked to have had more storage space in that general area.

That's an aesthetic complaint.

But I think functionally they have thought many things out very well.

The engine cover, and maybe even the struts themselves have all been designed to lower the noise level in the car.
99% of Lexus buyers want a luxury car and they will never be in there changing spark plugs and working on the engine. If they do popping that cover off can be done. I guess that's why they give you a basic tool kit in case you need to jump the battery or something.

I can, and have torn down a Chevy block engine on a 62 Impala. But I doubt I could figure out this new Lexus engine without a lot of training.

People who want to mess with engines as a hobby will go buy an old Mustang, Camaro, or Challenger and be in there messing around with it all the time. But that's not who the Lexus luxury car buyer is.

I want a quiet car, not a car I'm going to be tinkering with as a hobby. Besides the Lexus engine is so very complicated it's not like messing with a plain old carb on an old Mustang with old type distributors and points and all that crap.

So I would not throw around the phrase "design flaw" until you hear the reasoning of a specific feature first.

By the way, I thnk the gauges and dash are perfect.
Well fine consider yourself lucky this is a new model year and that the information for the mean time is relevant. It was just cumbersome to have to keep scrolling over the same pics of the camry. I get it there alike! But the ES350 for the most part will only come in one trim and that's luxury, and that's what this forum is all about: Luxury cars .
Old 03-16-06, 03:12 PM
Shred
Driver

Originally Posted by rai
I didn't know they made them without leather or without sunroof.
Why don't you like leather?
I get hot on them, I can't stand them. I just don't want them even if they are ventilated.

I ordered the car today. I gave them a deposit and I didn't get a price, I'll be paying sticker.
I need a new car ASAP so I wanted to get my special order in as soon as possible.

The moonroof is standard. I'll never use it in the day but I guess I could open it up on cool nights.

The dealer really didn't know much about the options and didn't even have the pdf spec sheet we have.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=200373

I wanted the driver seat extender but no one there was able to tell me if that was available with the fabric seats.

He was also unsure of the wheels but I told him I wanted these 10 spoke wheels, which are probably extra.

I figured since the base ES was $33K last year that it would be close to $35K this year because Vehicle Stability and Traction were $650 last year and that's now standard equipment.
But then again since leather is no longer standard, it could offset that cost.

I think that since there are so many other new standard features that could drive the price up.

I'm not gonna sweat it, I'll pay what they ask.
I started looking at new cars in 2001 and couldn't really find anything I liked so I just kept this old Camry. I saved us a lot of money by not having an extra car payment. My wife bought two new vehicles in that time so I figure my time is due.
I wonder how long I will have to wait.

Here's what I drive now.

This will be quite an upgrade:

Last edited by Shred; 03-16-06 at 04:44 PM.
Old 03-16-06, 04:45 PM
badgis
Driver School Candidate

Default Starting price

The sales manager of the dealership i bought my 2006 ES from stated the starting price would be about 33,000 and go to 42,000 fully loaded. Sounds about right to me. They will not increase the prices more than 3-7 %. With more equipment standard, it allows for lower prices for that equipment. So dont expect a big price jump.
Old 03-16-06, 04:57 PM
Shred
Driver

Originally Posted by badgis
The sales manager of the dealership i bought my 2006 ES from stated the starting price would be about 33,000 and go to 42,000 fully loaded. Sounds about right to me. They will not increase the prices more than 3-7 %. With more equipment standard, it allows for lower prices for that equipment. So dont expect a big price jump.
I don't know. Fully loaded now is about $42K and that panoramic roof is supposed to be at least a $2000 option.
Old 03-16-06, 05:11 PM
rai
Lead Lap

Cars are offereing more features for less money as time goes by.

For example back in 1988 I bought a VW Fox for around $9K. Today that $9K (from 1988) would be about equal to $15K (figure from 'real dollars' calculator)

I can get a base VW Golf for $16K today (the cheapest WV) so in effect they are about the same price. But the 1988 VW had manual windows, manual steering, rear drum brakes, 14" steel wheels, no airbags, manual mirrors, no stereo, no remote entry etc..

The 06 Golf has power everything, 4-wheel discs with ABS, air bags, 8 speaker stereo with CD, a 50% more powerful engine, cruise control, 16" alloy wheels, remote entry etc..

You can do the same thing with more recent cars. I have a 99 Passat and for the same 'real dollars' that I paid in 1998 for it, you can get a new V6 passat with many more features etc. and with +90 HP from the V6, 6-speed AT, 6-disc in dash CD player etc..

It's normal for the new car to stay near the same as the old or maybe just go up 2-3% in price since most likely the outgoing car may be selling discounts since people will wait for the better new car.

The 350Z is way better than the non-turbo 300Z yet costs the same or less in actual dollars as the 13 year old car did when new, but in 'real dollars' the new car is a lot cheaper.

Last edited by rai; 03-16-06 at 05:18 PM.
Old 03-17-06, 01:03 AM
Shred
Driver

I'll be jumping fo joy if it comes in at $38-39K. I just mentally prepared myself for $42K.
Old 03-17-06, 06:19 AM
JapanLexus
Driver School Candidate

It looks like the 2005 Toyota Mark X to me?

Chris
Old 03-17-06, 07:15 AM
DallasLex
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Shred
I'll be jumping fo joy if it comes in at $38-39K. I just mentally prepared myself for $42K.
Did they tell you when the car is actually due at the dealer?
Old 03-17-06, 10:36 AM
rai
Lead Lap

I sat in a new Camry to see the interior size etc. It's not bad in back (reclining rear seat), leg room is OK if the front passanger is willing to share. I'm 6-3 so the front seat must be moved up a bit for me to fit in back.

Does anyone know if the GS is more or less roomy than the ES?

Does anyone know if the ES has 'remote starter' function so you can start it from your house let it warm up on cold days?
Old 03-17-06, 01:54 PM
Shred
Driver

Originally Posted by DallasLex
Did they tell you when the car is actually due at the dealer?
30-90 days but more like 45-60. I'd love to see it before May 1st but I'm not gonna get my hopes up.
They will be getting other models in before then. So I'm sure one of you may have a new one before I do.
Old 03-17-06, 02:50 PM
badgis
Driver School Candidate

Default GREAT Point

RAI i think you hit the nail on the head. Dont expect much more than 42 to 43 thousand. They would price it too close to a GS if they went any higher.
Old 03-17-06, 02:58 PM
Shred
Driver

Originally Posted by rai

Does anyone know if the GS is more or less roomy than the ES?

Does anyone know if the ES has 'remote starter' function so you can start it from your house let it warm up on cold days?
There was no remote starter on the ES listed.

The GS starts at almost $44,000.
Top of the line with a Nav system would be $58-60 Grand.

The base price of the 2007 ES350 is estimated at $35,000 or less. Fully loaded could be $45,000 or a little more this year.

Quick Reply: 2007 Es 350 (hi-res pics begin on pg. 27)