ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

2007 Es 350 (hi-res pics begin on pg. 27)

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-06, 03:50 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 356 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by BrickHead
what about the ES pics at autospies.com? Lexus doesn't have any say there, does it? Then the pics are still available for everyone to see...
There's also ****, condom ads, breast augmentation images, and countless other things on the internet that you can view ELSEWHERE, but you won't view it here. While other sites make a name for pissing off the manufacturer, we prefer to continue working with them and their wishes the way things are supposed to be.
Old 01-31-06, 03:55 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to add, looking at your approximation enigma354, I see a design resemblance and pattern with the new LS!

Here is what I mean:

Notice how the ES interior console seems to curve inwards, while the LS interior console seems to curve and expand outwards. I think this is more than just coincidental, I think there's some special design elements in here.
Old 01-31-06, 04:01 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think there's not much hope of wood on the dash--it's gonna be like the GS/IS, with wood on the center shifter area and doors.

So only the LS/SC have wood on the dash, apparently. Or maybe the ultra luxe ES will have something, although these pics are from a glass-roofed ES.

Perhaps it's a tradeoff...the ES has that L-curved wood that appears on the lower console this time around, and lacks it elsewhere.

Honestly, however...that aspect seems to me to be a weak point of the L-Finessed interiors, specifically GS/IS and now ES...the vast empty space on the passenger side dash. The placement of the glove box switch toward the driver's side is a nice touch, but the vast expanse above it is kinda empty...some curved wood trim wouldn't hurt there IMHO.

But of course the wood has migrated to the steering wheels...

Outside, of course, is another matter...and I think that the New L-Finesse designs have made a successful mark. All in all, I think that each car is stunning to a degree. The ES, last but not least, was in my mind deliberately the least ambitious of all the L-Finesse designs. Overall, from what we've seen so far, I think it comes out handsomely, within the limitations of the shared Camry components. The nose in particular I like, and the 3/4 view from the back is nice too. As one blog site said the New ES design doesn't have 'a lot new'.instead it has a lot of similar elements to the already introduced GS/IS/LS..which I agree for the most part except some elements where I think the new interpretation of now-familiar L-Finessed elements was pretty novel.

I was concerned as I felt that so far, Lexus hadn't messed up any of the L-Finesse designs, and maybe the ES was to be that one. Instead, Lexus did the right thing and erred on the side of non-controversial, and produced a clean, sleek design. I still think that the IS made the most dramatic and successful revision via L-Finesse, at least on paper and in pictures. In person, the IS is stunning, though it feels good like the pictures do. The GS made a great opening statement, and it looks a lot better in person than in pictures; I am still stunned by the different looks it takes on at different angles. The LS looks great too, imposing and powerful--have yet to see in person. The ES looks sleek and nice--not necessarily a show-stopper, but still a looker on its own so far--and I feel too that the pictures probably don't do it justice.

Maybe soon someone should start an L-Finesse ranking thread...which of the new designs is your favorite...?

Last edited by encore888; 01-31-06 at 04:08 PM.
Old 01-31-06, 04:05 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Just to add, looking at your approximation enigma354, I see a design resemblance and pattern with the new LS!

[...]

Notice how the ES interior console seems to curve inwards, while the LS interior console seems to curve and expand outwards. I think this is more than just coincidental, I think there's some special design elements in here.

Very interesting. The chrome lines in Torii gate style on the LS center console, which migrate downward and are bisected by the twin audio *****, are mirrored in the ES, but the different curves means that they don't intersect the audio *****...(and a cassette tape player is still there!)...so the trim design is the same (and a differentiation with GS+IS)...but as you note the LS uses concave lines and the ES uses straight/convex at the bottom.

At a surface level, the 'bulge' of the LS center console (when viewed from the side, the curve from top to bottom protruding into the cabin space) seems to signify the massive electronics and other stuff embedded in that car...the ES is more simple, and the flatter console remains seemingly true to the spirit of the previous ES'...I am very pleased to see the button arrangement on the lower part of the ES dash to be the same as 4ES...even the same as we had on our old 2ES!

Last edited by encore888; 01-31-06 at 04:14 PM.
Old 01-31-06, 04:19 PM
LEXUS FAN!
Lead Lap

When I first saw the pics, I was a little disappointed...
don't get me wrong...it is much improved, but the proportions are a bit awkward...it looks like they have some of the detailed L finesse design features, but the shape is not sporty at all...i would have thought they would have done that at least

i think it will grow on me, but the initial reaction wasn't what i expected

on the plus side...the wood looks nice

btw...we saw this pic a few months ago and...

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/8250/11fv1.jpg

someone took it near the Nissan/Toyota/Honda HQ...at first i posted it in the altima spy shot section, but could it have been the ES???...it has the same taillights
Old 01-31-06, 04:28 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

That looks like it could be the New ES...

I have to say, the New ES is no longer defined as 'sporty'...its designers ceded that market to the New IS, and I think they were careful with this design to make it not too sporty.

For me, it was not what I expected up to the HollywoodExtra spy shots. When I saw how sharp the lines were in the C-pillar, I began seriously contemplating a shape like the rendering that Bluesman2 and DallasLex posted. I didn't want that rendering to be the reality, as the trunk in particular seemed to be 20 years old of a design.

I thought that the New ES could've been a Mercedes like 'new model' which looks a lot like the old one but with different angled lines off the old ones. I expected to see that character line sweep from the hood, up the sides and off the trunk like on the New GS/IS/LS, but I expected to see more of a sweep up and visual complexity towards the rear trunk lid.

Ultimately, the design came out more radically a departure from the 4ES, which I think is a good thing (although I have come to like the 4ES style a lot, believe it or not...). My immediate reaction was pretty nice and clean, not necessarily what I would've liked but still very nice. A second thought was the RL (front) and Volvo (side) comparisons, but more than that the L-Finesse comparison is key.
Old 01-31-06, 04:29 PM
LEXUS FAN!
Lead Lap

now that i look at it again...the only pic that really bothers me is the side angle...the side view is not very flattering

I LOVE THE FRONT
Old 01-31-06, 04:34 PM
Nao1008
Driver School Candidate

hi. i found same picture but this one shows rooftop of ES.
Old 01-31-06, 04:36 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Great find and great first post, Nao1008! Welcome to the board!
Old 01-31-06, 04:39 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nao1008

hi. i found same picture but this one shows rooftop of ES.
Nice find! I hope that glass roof in the pic is in some transitional state, or it is looking to be a horrendous aerodynamic drag.
Old 01-31-06, 04:40 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Nice find! I hope that glass roof in the pic is in some transitional state, or it will be a terrible aerodynamic drag.
Not to mention the difficulty in preventing rattles, etc. (although Lexus is the best chance of keeping it quiet!).
Old 01-31-06, 05:20 PM
GS3rdwow
Lead Lap

Great interior PS enigma! that does look MUCH niceer...

the side profile looks ok but what it actually lacks is the rear lights shuold have come out more...in the "previous pic" posted before it looked really HOT...i bet you it looks like that in person and this pic of the side rear tail light does not do justice.
Old 01-31-06, 05:31 PM
Bluesman2
Driver

Default Gaaaccckkkk!!!!

I don't want anything to do with that glass roof!!!!
Old 01-31-06, 05:40 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

it looks really nice, exterior finally looks completly different than camry. it looks like a proper mix of LS and IS....

interior looks high quality too... i see what you say about the wood (which i hate), but who knows how will the rest of interior look?
Old 01-31-06, 05:40 PM
Bluesman2
Driver

Default What's the word on our ES color palette?

GS3rdWOW, do you have the colors you mentioned the other day, or is there an embargo on any more details from you?

Quick Reply: 2007 Es 350 (hi-res pics begin on pg. 27)