ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

2007 Es 350 (hi-res pics begin on pg. 27)

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-06, 12:27 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Yea Im shocked they didnt even think about including HID's as an option on the XLE or even the Hybrid model. The Avalon has them standard on 2 out of the 4 models. And I think as an option on one of them.
Old 03-28-06, 03:47 PM
Shred
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know people are putting these kits on the new Camry already for a lot cheaper price than the $600 Lexus offers.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWN%3AIT

It says it's easy to do but I'm not big on car repairs anymore so I may let someone else do it for me.

I don't like where they had the HID switch on the steering wheel.
I thought that was a bad spot and I could be clicking them on when I'm making turns!

So if I upgrade I'll get an aftermarket system put in if I really want them.

I was also worried about the glare bouncing back off of the persons bumper in front of me blinding me, say a truck with a chrome bumper. I also don't want to blind someone and have them drive head on into me!

But we do have so many deer around here it's nice to get advanced warning, especially since I could be driving a bit faster in this car.

AS far as Lexus vs Toyota the Lexus is a more luxuorius car as you all know.
There's a a lot of little improvements in the ES over the Camry, but some thing missing like the reclining rear seats (which I could care less about) and the Plasma Cluster air purifier found in the Camry which is not listed on the Lexus.

For me I want the luxury, a far better looking car inside and out, and of coure the Lexus name.
Old 03-29-06, 09:06 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

HID's are a necessity I think.. Once you start driving with them you will NEVER want to go back. I was driving my buddies 03 Maxima and another friends TL for an extended period of time and now I'm looking for a retrofit kit for my car. I drive mine pissed off at night cause it seems to dark at times.
Old 03-29-06, 11:27 AM
IwantOne
Driver School Candidate

I've been following this thread for a while, as I am still deciding between an ES or TL. Anyway I was listening to the radio today and there was a commercial for the new ES. It said the base price was $32000 and change. They described an ES with heated/cooled seats, rear sunshade, memory seats, and I forget what else as going for $34000 and change. Just figured you guys might want to know.
Old 03-29-06, 05:38 PM
Shred
Driver

Originally Posted by IwantOne
I've been following this thread for a while, as I am still deciding between an ES or TL. Anyway I was listening to the radio today and there was a commercial for the new ES. It said the base price was $32000 and change. They described an ES with heated/cooled seats, rear sunshade, memory seats, and I forget what else as going for $34000 and change. Just figured you guys might want to know.
The base price right now is $32995 so I'm not sure I believe what you are saying because that would be a $1000 price drop, which I'm not sure considering the car has a much bigger engine, VSC, and TRAC.

As far as the heated/cooled seats, rear sunshade, memory seats, they only come with the second package, which I ordered, the Premium Plus Package which has a lot of other options with it.

So in my humble opinion I think that $34,000 price is way understated.
I'm thinking base price of $34,000 or $35,000 and about $3000 for that package.
I would like to be wrong about that since I ordered that AND the $4,000 Mark Levinson system, the wood steering wheel and the Park Assist.

Still, I'd much rather have the ES rather than the Acura even if the Acura is cheaper.
I like the Lexus reliability which is a notch above Honda/Acura, I like the wood look instead of the metallic looking interior. There's also no ventilation in the Acura's seats.

But it's not a bad car and I would choose it over any American made car or over a Nissan product.

Old 03-29-06, 06:07 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

ES has most reasonable/logical packages of any lexus...
Old 03-29-06, 06:29 PM
Shred
Driver

Originally Posted by magneto112
HID's are a necessity I think.. Once you start driving with them you will NEVER want to go back. I was driving my buddies 03 Maxima and another friends TL for an extended period of time and now I'm looking for a retrofit kit for my car. I drive mine pissed off at night cause it seems to dark at times.
Why do they need a separate switch like this one on the steering wheel?

I assume the regular lights simply use the regular steering column light switch.

I'm assuming if you don't order HID's you won't have this switch on the steering wheel, which I consider in the way.

Last edited by Shred; 03-29-06 at 06:55 PM.
Old 03-29-06, 06:35 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Originally Posted by Shred
Why do they need a separate switch like this one on the steering wheel?

I assume the regular lights simply use the regular steering column light switch.

I'm assuming if you don't order HID's you won't have this switch on the steering wheel, which I consider in the way.

hahaha....thats not an HID switch. That looks like the Laser Cruise control switch. Either that or park assist switch, but its more than likely Laser Cruise.

There is no extra switch for the HID's. Its just headlights. Goes on and off like anyother headlight switch.
Old 03-29-06, 08:42 PM
Shred
Driver

hahaha....thats not an HID switch. That looks like the Laser Cruise control switch. Either that or park assist switch, but its more than likely Laser Cruise.
There is no extra switch for the HID's. Its just headlights. Goes on and off like anyother headlight switch.

Oh really. Doh!!!

Gee, maybe I ought to call and order the HID package after all!!!
Old 03-29-06, 08:58 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

HAHAHA...you didnt order HID's because of that button!!?? You better call the dealership tomorrow. Either way that little button is probably not as intrusive as it looks though.
Old 03-29-06, 09:25 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Actually the button you see there is to control the distance interval for the New ES' Dynamic Radar Cruise Control system. Laser cruise is a thing of the past.
Old 03-29-06, 09:27 PM
Shred
Driver

HAHAHA...you didnt order HID's because of that button!!?? You better call the dealership tomorrow. Either way that little button is probably not as intrusive as it looks though.
I also was worried about the glare off of car or especially chrome bumbers of trucks in front of me. I get sensitive to really bright light and tend to see a halo around it.

I don't do a lot of night driving anymore but tonight I was really noticing the brights on my Camry were not that great. On the 2 mile road to my house there are deer jumping out of the woods ALL the time.
I feel like I'm living in the jungle here! I've seen deer (BIG ones), possums, racoons, woodchucks, foxes, badgers, turkeys, vultures, pheasants, frogs and turtles all running across the road at night.

One night years ago my wife was driving on this really isolated road and I was the passenger just gazing out of the passenger window. Out of the blue this huge pointed buck ran right into the read door of the car and smashed it. He was all messed up.
Scared the ever livin' sheeet out of me! I called my buddy who was about 5 minutes away and he told us to stay there.

When he got there he said "Man, thats a NICE buck, look at those antlers!"
Mr. Buck was having seizures so my buddy grabbed his rifle and finished him off.
He then had me help drag him into the back of his pickup.

The head is now in his den and he ate the meat!

He always teases my wife to try and get him another one!

Back to the lights, Consumers gave the IS regular headlights a poor mark for brightness.

What I really need to do is go up to Lexus tommorow night and drive one with HID's to see if they are OK for me. I probobally should just order them.

Last edited by Shred; 03-29-06 at 09:43 PM.
Old 03-29-06, 09:30 PM
Shred
Driver

Originally Posted by flipside909
Actually the button you see there is to control the distance interval for the New ES' Dynamic Radar Cruise Control system. Laser cruise is a thing of the past.
Nice review of the IS by the way. I drove one last week, it's a really nice car.

What's up with these Lexus dealers making me wait 30-120 days for my car?
Old 03-29-06, 10:18 PM
Shred
Driver

What about oncoming drivers giving you their brights thinking that your HID's are brights?
I know my one buddy was always being flashed.
Old 03-29-06, 10:21 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Originally Posted by flipside909
ahhh....thanks can always count on ya for the correct terminology.

So are there any significant advantages??

Quick Reply: 2007 Es 350 (hi-res pics begin on pg. 27)