ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

2007 5ES Debut

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-06, 08:35 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not feeling the center console vent design, but I like the stance from the side!
Old 02-09-06, 08:53 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bluesman2
I'm looking at an Avalon brochure and the shifter appears to be the same height as the new ES. These are large cushy cars folks...they aren't meant to have the sport features you're asking for.

Why is this so hard to realize??
It's not hard to realize that the ES will have some different features, which may appeal to a different target crowd. If it works, so be it.
Old 02-10-06, 12:16 AM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

interior is beautiful...

the outside makes me wanna
Old 02-10-06, 06:52 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts
Default ES owners wanted a less conservative ES . . .

Lexus gears new ES to get pulses racing
Sleek sedan with juiced engine reflects brand's goal of jazzier status in entry-level luxury market.

Christine Tierney / The Detroit News

CHICAGO -- With the introduction Wednesday of a redesigned Lexus ES small luxury sedan, Toyota Motor Corp. is on track to rejuvenate its entire premium car lineup by the end of the year.

The ES 350 unveiled on the first press day of the Chicago Auto Show is a sleeker and sportier version of the car it replaces, reflecting the Lexus division's effort to inject more excitement and greater performance in each new model from the reputable but staid brand.

"The new ES offers a striking and seductive new approach in the entry-luxury segment," said Bob Carter, Lexus Group vice president. "It's a vehicle designed to appeal as much to the heart as to the head."

The car's slightly longer wheelbase, wedge shape and long hood gives it a sportier stance, which is matched by a more powerful 3.5-liter engine that delivers 270 horsepower, compared with just over 220 for the outgoing sedan.

In October, Lexus launched a new version of the IS sedan, its sporty offering in the highly competitive entry-level luxury segment that includes the BMW 3 Series, Mercedes C-Class and Cadillac CTS.

Although the ES model has stressed comfort over performance, Toyota's research found that many ES owners thought their vehicle slightly too conservative. "They wanted a car that's fast and eye-catching," said Jim Press, president of Toyota Motor Sales USA.

The redesigned ES interior reveals a more elegant instrument cluster, stylish wood paneling and indulgent features such as telescopic steering.

Lexus, the best-selling luxury brand in the United States, began renewing its car lineup last February with the launch of a new upscale GS sedan, followed by the rollout of the new IS designed to take on the German luxury auto brands.

Lexus hasn't yet announced the price of the new ES, which rolls into dealer showrooms in May, along with a gasoline-electric GS hybrid. The 2006 ES 330 starts at around $33,000. With the fall launch of the redesigned flagship LS, boasting the first eight-speed automatic transmission, the models in the Lexus car lineup will be less than two years old. Lexus unveiled the stylish new LS 460 last month at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.

Toyota expects to sell around 70,000 ES cars this year, up slightly from 2005 levels, and 40,000 IS models, more than double last year's levels, boosting total Lexus vehicle sales by 7 percent to 8 percent to around 325,000, Carter said.
Old 02-10-06, 08:57 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

hahaha interesting. imho that's kinda tough for lexus, coz' that means an even closer gap between the es and the IS, if they have to put more sportiness on the es.

so far i like what they have done, from pics. when the car comes out, that's the time to see how the gap between the two car is.
Old 02-10-06, 09:22 AM
drink300
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The outside is a big disappointment. The current gen ES was never my fave, but this is just as bad or worse. After the new GS, IS and LS reveals, I thought this car would finally be as hot as the 2nd gen ES.

My only question has always been and always will be: What car does this compete with from the other major manufacturers? This doesn't compete with the 5-series or E-class very effectively. It doesn't compete against the A6 either. So, what is this supposed to be?

drink300
Old 02-10-06, 09:30 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rominl
hahaha interesting. imho that's kinda tough for lexus, coz' that means an even closer gap between the es and the IS, if they have to put more sportiness on the es.

so far i like what they have done, from pics. when the car comes out, that's the time to see how the gap between the two car is.
Don't count on it being anything nearly as sporty as the IS, I think it's the look & feel of the interior/exterior they're talking about
Old 02-10-06, 10:43 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by drink300
The outside is a big disappointment. The current gen ES was never my fave, but this is just as bad or worse. After the new GS, IS and LS reveals, I thought this car would finally be as hot as the 2nd gen ES.

My only question has always been and always will be: What car does this compete with from the other major manufacturers? This doesn't compete with the 5-series or E-class very effectively. It doesn't compete against the A6 either. So, what is this supposed to be?

drink300
I don't think Toyota cares as long as it can sell 70K units + a year. It's a luxurious FWD entry level mid-sized sedan. I still think the TL is it's closest competitor, it's sportier but both can serve as a useful family car. There will be people cross-shopping the 2 to decide which one they prefer.
Old 02-10-06, 12:18 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by drink300

drink300
The ES really has no competitor. None of the other luxury makers offer a FWD cushy sedan. The TL comes the closest because it is FWD, but it is a lot more sporty and firm than the ES. I guess the Lincoln Zephyr (MKZ) could also be an alternative, but people shopping imports stick to imports.
Old 02-10-06, 01:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i also agree that the es is holding its gnd so well in its own league that not many can even come in to compete. like the above said, the tl is the closest, but then the tl is like in between the es and the IS. i hate to say but i probably don't care much about domestic. how about kia or hyundai, do they have anything that can come close?

es will continue to sell hot. i am predicting, but i think the new es is going to sell even better than the current one
Old 02-10-06, 01:52 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i also agree that the es is holding its gnd so well in its own league that not many can even come in to compete. like the above said, the tl is the closest, but then the tl is like in between the es and the IS. i hate to say but i probably don't care much about domestic. how about kia or hyundai, do they have anything that can come close?

es will continue to sell hot. i am predicting, but i think the new es is going to sell even better than the current one
most definetly, it is a lot better looking than old one, a lot....
Old 02-10-06, 03:33 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Wow. If anyone has asked why does IS have tight back space, i think this is the answer. If you dont care about RWD, this car is definetly an luxury segment vehicle. It looks premium, and expensive, something that previous ES lacked...
I disagree with you if you're saying the current ES lacks that luxury feel. I think it does. The interior looks better than any other car I've seen in the 32K price range.
This new one looks way better outside. However, I don't like that horseshoe looking console and there isn't enough wood in there. Overall, a nice car that will well....I predict it will sell better than every previous ES. It looks like a proper lexus.
Old 02-10-06, 03:39 PM
LexFather

According to the Honda press release, the Tls closest competitor to consumers is the Accord. However, I do think the ES and TL are competition, simply b/c consumers are very "size" oriented and for their classes, teh ES and TL are huge, compared to the IS/3/A4/C class.

Overall why are people tripping? Its an ES. It won't be a design leader, it's a luxurious, comfy, quiet, and now quicker car. It sells like crazy every year since 1992.

I will say the last ES, while quite ungainly and ugly, looked like an ES. It was very easy to identify. This new one, being much nicer to look at, will blend in more, as its less scary to look at.

I mean, its an ES. The ES forum is possibly the least busy forum here, though it sells the most cars and 2nd to the RX. Think about that. Its not for most of us anymore.

All in all, the ES was my first Lexus and I love how it continues to evolve.
Old 02-10-06, 04:19 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Interesting to see where the interior door design characters have evolved with L-Finesse. I thought the ES door lacked the most character at first glance, but this comparison shows that actually it has a modicum of detailing and style to compare with the other more distinctive door designs.

The ES back door is lacking a bit more I think.
Attached Thumbnails 2007 5ES Debut-doors.jpg  
Old 02-10-06, 04:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
The exterior I tend to agree, but some actually thinks the interior of the current one looks more premium because of more wood trim [[/IMG]
I gotta agree with Lex here.....the current ES is better-looking inside. Taking the wood off of the doors and the passenger-dash was a mistake.

Quick Reply: 2007 5ES Debut