ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Change In Launch Date?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-06, 09:02 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Technically this was transmission issue #1. Symptoms included a bunch of idiot lights coming up in the display, and the trans bouncing between gears at random up and down. For all intensive purposes the trans was dead.

Transmission issue #2 emerged from the ashes of issues #1 in the form of the trans flare. The trans flare has proved very difficult to erradicate, and appears resistant to TSIB and even new transmission installations

In the early days some of us thought we had issue #1 and waited for our transmissions to die. Instead they soldiered on and turned into #2 for which there still appears to be no cure.
Old 12-05-06, 03:08 PM
osokuko
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting, I came on board around April - May hearing the story’s about the 160 Camry trans failing after 400 miles due to poor assembly. While the word was getting out about the Camry Lexus was getting ready to release the Es350 but held them for a week at the docks to check each and everyone of them. I didn’t know about the idiot lights thing and bouncing gears. Was that trans fix to become our flare?

EDIT: My question you had already answered.

I was at the Lexus dealership the day they arrived and sat in a black/black UL. They had several Ruby Reds too. But I walked away telling the salesman where’s the wood for that kind of money . Good thing I did I guess. With all the wind noise, engine diesel and the rest. Of course #2 the Flare would not have show up until 1400 miles later.

Last edited by osokuko; 12-05-06 at 05:39 PM. Reason: My question was answered in the post.
Old 12-05-06, 06:48 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There were apparently some cars produced in the initial months that were good. But we also know there were some that weren't created that well.

Problem #1 was the same problem that affected the Camry 6 speed trans and did find its way into the ES350 - despite them trying to implement a fix pre-release. It was not isolated to the Camry as first reported in the press. This was the trans problem of losing entire gears in the trans, and bouncing up and down between gears (sometimes slamming gears) at random in most cases while you limped back to your dealer. From memory the Check Engine lights and Stability control lights would be lit in the display as well. Reports from CL members suggest these were dealt with by Lexus with automatic buyback or new car type arrangements.

Problem #2 is the trans slipping (flaring). It almost always occurs when the trans is cold. TSIB was produced as a fix, and members reported that their dealers said it didn't work well at fixing the problem. Poll subsequently confirms what the dealers report - it rarely if ever works. Fix for the TSIB-fix not working is a new trans. Multiple members report the new trans also doesn't last long, or fix the problem in most cases. Lexus USA reportedly offers buyback at this point, Lexus Canada we have no news on as yet.

I've also found that the trans can slip\flare when HOT, and do so in 2/3, 3/4 and more commonly 4/5 gear change. No TSIB on this when-HOT issue, but in both of my transmissions I also had\have Problem #2 anyway.
Old 12-05-06, 07:52 PM
osokuko
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have a wealth of knowledgeable information and I do appreciate the time you have spent here. At this time I’m compiling special events information that took place at the release so I can inform ours that may help me later if this problem escalates to a higher level. I’m so happy I found CL (mid Aug) when I did and have had first hand experience with others posts in the interim. It’s sad that people get involved with a product that wasn’t ready before the appropriate début time. A lesson well learn. As one said today in one of the post “buyer beware”.