ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

ES350 Recall? (are ES350's impacted by the Camry tranny issue)

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-06, 11:24 AM
thegoodlif
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

When I brought the car in, no-one mentioned anything about the tranny issue, but I actually took it to a different dealership for the maintenance than the one I bought it at.
Behind the scenes, the two dealerships talked about the issue, and then the one I bought it from gave me a call and told me they didn't want to put me back in that car. I didn't press them at all, this was all their idea.
Putnam Lexus of Redwood City, CA was where I bought it - they were great!
Car went in on Friday morning, Sat afternoon I had another car.

My experience at both dealerships was excellent, and I think this customer satisfaction is important to Lexus. I would hope you could talk to them about it.

Good luck!
Old 05-07-06, 04:58 PM
gs4rocks
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder what will happen to those cars bought back by factory..
Old 05-07-06, 08:43 PM
DallasLex
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Most of them make it back into mainstream used car places. Think of them as "Reconditioned" kind of like an electronic device like a dig. camera sold on ebay as reconditioned by factory.
Attached Images  

Last edited by DallasLex; 06-24-06 at 08:46 PM.
Old 05-09-06, 11:45 AM
nixietink
Rookie

Dealership went ahead and gave my parents a new car for the tranny issue as well. Dealership refused to acknowledge the fact that there have been past tranny issues, but does not want to give them a car off the lot, "in case it has an issue as well". Which, to us, makes no sense if the problem isn't known.
Sooo, unforutnately they have to wait until the end of the month. What an inconvenience...
Old 05-09-06, 12:22 PM
jeffofla
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there a pattern as to which cars may or may not be affected. (i.e. manufacture date, etc).
Old 05-09-06, 12:40 PM
nixietink
Rookie

Originally Posted by jeffofla
Is there a pattern as to which cars may or may not be affected. (i.e. manufacture date, etc).
You know I'm not sure..it's kind of like solving a mystery. But apparently it's an issue they found before the release of the ES. So I'm assuming it is a problem that only affected the first shipment of the ES
Old 05-09-06, 02:19 PM
jeffofla
Pole Position

I think you are right... which is why I was curious as to how deep the problem went. For example, was the first shipment including those that arrived at the port, but did not hit show rooms on launch day?

The reason I ask is that I test drove a car on launch day, Tuesday 4/25 when they got the cars in. I felt some roughness with the transmission. I thought it might have been just me because this car is more powerful and five model years different than mine. So I still purchased the car, but mine was at the port, and would not arrive until Thursday. That worked out for me fine, because i had to go to New York on Wednesday and would not be back in California until late Friday night to take delivery of my car on Saturday. I have so far felt no major issues - nor the issue I felt on the intial test drive - with my car, although I have only driven it 232 miles since I picked it up 10 days ago.

This issue may be so small that we may never hear the extent with relatively a handful of cars affected. And that's the way I hope we keep it.
Old 05-09-06, 05:03 PM
nixietink
Rookie

I think you are right... which is why I was curious as to how deep the problem went. For example, was the first shipment including those that arrived at the port, but did not hit show rooms on launch day?

The reason I ask is that I test drove a car on launch day, Tuesday 4/25 when they got the cars in. I felt some roughness with the transmission. I thought it might have been just me because this car is more powerful and five model years different than mine. So I still purchased the car, but mine was at the port, and would not arrive until Thursday. That worked out for me fine, because i had to go to New York on Wednesday and would not be back in California until late Friday night to take delivery of my car on Saturday. I have so far felt no major issues - nor the issue I felt on the intial test drive - with my car, although I have only driven it 232 miles since I picked it up 10 days ago.

This issue may be so small that we may never hear the extent with relatively a handful of cars affected. And that's the way I hope we keep it.
Yes *hopefully* it does remain a small issue. Although a friend of mine who works with a Lexus dealership in CA has seen this problem a few times before our car started to act up.
We didn't notice an issue until around 200 miles...and when we noticed it progressively got way worse in just 20 min. Car had a lot of trouble shifting from 1st to 2nd.
I feel for my parents though, cuz I bought an IS250 a week before they purchased their car. Now they have none and mine runs great!
Old 05-10-06, 03:14 AM
cleblanc
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone else hear a strange sound when the car is running. I can't quite put my finger on what it is. The car runs great and I have no problems, just a very strange whiny hissy sound. I'm wondering if it could be the DVD in the navigation system spinning or something in the audio. I've had the car over a week now and hear it everytime I start the car. Once I start driving and playing music, I don't hear it anymore but I can't help wondering if something is wrong or if it is normal.
Old 05-10-06, 08:33 AM
slider71
Driver School Candidate

Are you hearing the fuel system check? the dealer warned me I may hear that several hours later after the car was off, but its possible there is a similar sound at startup as well.
Old 05-10-06, 01:30 PM
cleblanc
Rookie

Update - I figured out what the whiny, hissy sound was every time I started the car. It is the radio being left on the AUX input. It is waiting for the signal from my Ipod. When I turned off the audio, the sound went away or if I put it on FM and lowered the volume all the way to 0, the sound went away. As soon as I change to the AUX input I hear the whiny sound until I hit play on my Ipod.
I'm very relieved because it was sounding almost like a vacuum leak.
Old 05-10-06, 01:39 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by cleblanc
Update - I figured out what the whiny, hissy sound was every time I started the car. It is the radio being left on the AUX input. It is waiting for the signal from my Ipod. When I turned off the audio, the sound went away or if I put it on FM and lowered the volume all the way to 0, the sound went away. As soon as I change to the AUX input I hear the whiny sound until I hit play on my Ipod.
I'm very relieved because it was sounding almost like a vacuum leak.
Analog is so yesterday. Lexus should come up with a digital solution for an external music source quickly.
Old 05-10-06, 02:21 PM
jeffofla
Pole Position

Agreed. At least we can connect the ipod to the ML system now, though. This was actually a requirement for buying my new car.
Old 05-12-06, 08:41 PM
bunka
Lead Lap

Default Lexus service is the BEST

The fact that the Lexus dealers are putting buyers into NEW cars is a demonstration that in today's market you DO still sometimes "get what you pay for". Almost every new car has minor mechancial flaws. it happened in the Acura TL (VERY similar tranny issue) as well as in the Infiiniti GS but neither of those mfg's were (readily) offering replacements to the buyer "victims" but rather were simply rebuilding the trannys and giving the cars back to the original buyer. That was a demonstration of poor serivce IMHO and some people were successfull at getting Acura/Inifiniti to buy them back but often had to either go through or threaten legal action. Lexus on the otherhand appears to be handling this the same way BMW or Mercedes would...No questions asked and here's you new car sir. I guess the extra $'s are sometimes TRULY worth the price.
Old 05-12-06, 09:44 PM
wizhill
Driver School Candidate

Agreed. At least we can connect the ipod to the ML system now, though. This was actually a requirement for buying my new car.
Anyone have any experience with VAIS Technology? VAIS Technology
They have modules that plug into the Lexus stock headunit that allow digital input from the iPod, displays track information, artists, playlist, etc. on the Nav screen. Not sure if it'll work with Gen V Nav units. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this company or these modules.

Quick Reply: ES350 Recall? (are ES350's impacted by the Camry tranny issue)