ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

ES350 Recall? (are ES350's impacted by the Camry tranny issue)

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-06, 09:55 PM
redman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So Guys,

Our car was "one of those" built on 03/06. We picked it up on 05/18/06 from Lexus of New Orleans. And,..........with each passing day I continue to become more aprehensive about this transmission issue. I've been tuned into this site since March or April; and, to date, it seems I've read about a half dozen or so 350's with faulty transmissions?

However, have any of you (way more organized than me) folks actually compiled a complete list of the cars identified on the site so far, e.g.,date, dealership, miles before failure, etc? If so, I'd sure appreciate you're sharing it, so I can be better prepared to discuss the issue with our Lexus Dealer. Thanks and be Well.

The Redman
Old 08-01-06, 10:13 AM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

the tranny problem is gradual and very obvious (as i read from many forums). Lexus is real good about fixing any problems under warranty. If you begin hearing strange sounds or jerk while changing gears, then the problem is beginning to surface. If you are driving normally and everything is good, then you should not be affected. A very small percentage of the early releases have this problem. Don't worry too much. If you are at 47,500 miles or 3 years 11 months and the problem is beginning to occur, then you should worry.
Old 08-01-06, 04:18 PM
redman
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for those words of encouragement "Kiaus88"....................

.............However, I wonder if anyone actually has a list, or the number of ES350's that have gone down with transmission problems? I can certainly go back through the threads concerning this issue; but, I thought perhaps someone may have already done this?

Thanks again - The Redman
Old 08-03-06, 08:28 AM
coolcow
Driver School Candidate

After reading this thread, I have to say that I become a little bit nervous. I just got mine just a few days ago. I do feel gear shifting at low speeds, not sure whether it is qualified as "jerk". (During shifting, the rpm increases to 2.5-3K, then bounces back.) Is this normal? Am I supposed to feel that?
Old 08-03-06, 09:26 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by coolcow
After reading this thread, I have to say that I become a little bit nervous. I just got mine just a few days ago. I do feel gear shifting at low speeds, not sure whether it is qualified as "jerk". (During shifting, the rpm increases to 2.5-3K, then bounces back.) Is this normal? Am I supposed to feel that?
This is absolutely NOT normal! It should shift up with no jerking and NO upward movement of rpm's. Get it to your dealer now!
Old 08-03-06, 09:53 AM
Celibon
Driver

coolcow you said you just got the car a few days ago. Can you go check on the manufacture date of your car?
Old 08-03-06, 10:35 AM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

My car has a manufacture date of 04/06 and so far, after ~2,300 miles I can report that the transmission is working flawlessly.
Old 08-03-06, 11:50 AM
coolcow
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Celibon
coolcow you said you just got the car a few days ago. Can you go check on the manufacture date of your car?
Mine is 07/06. I went to the dealer and drove another car. Maybe I am just too cautious... It seems normal that the rpm drops a little bit after gear shifts (if you stare at the meter ). Sometimes, you might feel a very slight bump, especially when you accelerate slowly. It is said that it takes time for the engine to learn your pattern and it should get smoother.
Old 08-03-06, 03:09 PM
Macklin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by coolcow
Mine is 07/06. I went to the dealer and drove another car. Maybe I am just too cautious... It seems normal that the rpm drops a little bit after gear shifts (if you stare at the meter ). Sometimes, you might feel a very slight bump, especially when you accelerate slowly. It is said that it takes time for the engine to learn your pattern and it should get smoother.
Yes, what you describe above is normal. I must have misunderstood your previous post. I thought you said your rpms were jumping up between shifts. THAT should not happen.

I can say that my transmission has gotten smoother over the first 2000 miles. Knock on wood! And my mpg has gone up dramatically. I'm averaging just under 29 on this tank. Unbelievable.
Old 08-03-06, 07:36 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Shift shock is normal. Your RPM goes to almost 3000 before it shifts and the RPM goes back to around 2000. This is how most automatic transmission cars work. Some people consider it shifting too early (or too late), thus they prefer manual transmission. It's amazing that the 6th gear can handle 80 mph and still remain about 2500 rpm. Nice torque action working there.
Old 08-03-06, 07:53 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally, I was a manual transmission type guy and this ES350 transmission programming is as perfect as I could wish for, for an automatic! It shifts at the speed I feel it should shift.....almost like driving a stick. Compared to my '03 ES it's like night & day. The ECM was flashed to correct the inherent shifting problems, but they never really helped. The final flash was the straw that broke the camels back, and that's the main reason I traded in my '03. I absolutely love the transmission in my ES350, and so far it never gave me any signs of crapping out! Also, my car was manufactured 3/06.
Old 08-03-06, 08:23 PM
jeffofla
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I still have my 2002 ES as well (only 31, 000 miles on it and it looks brand new). so I didn't trade it in on the 2007 (which I've paid the loan off 45 months early, yay!!!). Anyway, I could not agree with you more on the transmission and engine performance. I love this car.
Old 08-03-06, 10:39 PM
Bash4
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PsychDoc
My car has a manufacture date of 04/06 and so far, after ~2,300 miles I can report that the transmission is working flawlessly.
PsychDoc, my car was made on 0406 as well and has 500 miles. The tranny seems to be perfect. It does down shift to second gear a little harder than others though.
Old 08-04-06, 04:06 AM
tstead
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=tstead]
Originally Posted by amf1932

There is no banging at all while driving. If I go out to my car, start it, put it in reverse, no bang - it is smooth as silk. The bang only occurs if I do not actually back-up but put the car back in park and then reverse again. Then, it bangs when the shifter is put back into reverse no matter how low the rpms are.

If I do back up a little, stop the car, put the shifter in park and then reverse again, no bang.

Tim
The dealer called me and told me that they found the problem and corrected it. Apparently there is a service bulletin out on this issue which was a loose shifter cable. I'm not sure how a loose cable can translate into what appears to be temperature-dependant shifting issues unless the cable (or respective fitting) heats and cools up also. According to the dealer, my transmission shifts much better now. Since it is still at the dealer for some scratch repairs, I am yet to test it out for myself.

As far as the scratches, the service manager told me that the tech who detailed my car when I bought it stated that he saw the scratches while detailing it; however, nobody told me anything about any scratches when they delivered the car to me. I told them that their failure to inform me of the scratches and making me drive 80 miles (one way) to get it repaired when they should've kept the car and repaired the scratches before delivery is totally unsatisfactory and that I certainly hope that performance is not indicative of how they run their business. I politely demanded that the car be properly detailed this time as it should've been three weeks ago when they delivered the car to me.

Tim
Old 08-07-06, 09:42 PM
DallasLex
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Test drove a couple of ES350s today and the dealer did admit they had one car come back due to "jerky" transmission shifting, but that was corrected within hours. Since last month, they have not had any transmission related issues. 'course this is the dealer talking so who knows.
My test drive of the Camry XLE last week netted the same results: both ES and V6 Camry shift smoothly and on time.
I don't see this as a lingering problem.

Quick Reply: ES350 Recall? (are ES350's impacted by the Camry tranny issue)