ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

ES350 Recall? (are ES350's impacted by the Camry tranny issue)

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-06, 06:34 PM
purebliss
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DallasLex
Test drove a couple of ES350s today and the dealer did admit they had one car come back due to "jerky" transmission shifting, but that was corrected within hours. Since last month, they have not had any transmission related issues. 'course this is the dealer talking so who knows.
My test drive of the Camry XLE last week netted the same results: both ES and V6 Camry shift smoothly and on time.
I don't see this as a lingering problem.
It's not!!! Only the early builds have the probem.
Old 08-08-06, 06:46 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know why people keep insisting that it's only the early builds that have this problem! My car was assembled in March '06......and I don't have any problems with the transmission. Also, my dealer has sold hundreds of these early builds and none came back to their service facility complaining about faulty transmissions!
Old 08-08-06, 07:03 PM
Celibon
Driver

I think he meant to say that the problem only occurs on some of the early builds. He's not saying all the early builds have the problem. So far there are no reports of any engine noise/jerky transmission problems occuring on later builds (May~July).
Old 08-08-06, 07:14 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by amf1932
I don't know why people keep insisting that it's only the early builds that have this problem! My car was assembled in March '06......and I don't have any problems with the transmission. Also, my dealer has sold hundreds of these early builds and none came back to their service facility complaining about faulty transmissions!
Ok....so far we have seen 5 months of builds: 03/06, 04/06, 05/06, 06/06, 07/06.

My old MSM was an 06/06, and ironically the new SGM is an 05/06 (sitting at dealership a coupla weeks waiting for replacement bumper to arrive from Japan). So i have driven both May and June builds very recently. No difference at all as expected. I think I might be imagining this, but my SGM has slightly more wind noise. I am not sure if it's the glass roof or just time of day when i drive. Sometimes when i am alone on a stretch of hwy, i only hear the road noise (wheels against asphalt). Other times I hear sounds like wind blowing on a sail. To this day i still dont quite know what the "wind noise is". But I digress..... Both shift smooth, but you can still notice point of shift. Both are a bit louder when the car is cold, but still quiet compared to other cars. Both accelerate just great, and both brake exactly the same.

If you're referring to early builds, I am assuming the first few days of manufacturing in 03/06 probably....which the likelihood of owning is fairly slim unless you pre-ordered right after the announcement of the 2007 ES350. If someone wants to start a poll and see which builds are experiencing the transmission problems, and we can narrow down the dates...maybe. Frankly I have not heard of May - July builds having any issues yet..... Maybe because the cars have not been driven long enough to surface the problem. I dunno.... But as long as the 70,000 power train warranty is in effect, no need to worry. I'm guessing by 5000 miles, you'll know if you are a candidate for tranny replacement.
Old 08-09-06, 09:13 AM
purebliss
Lead Lap

No offense but I can assure you that the bumper didn't come from Japan. That is pure BS and for them to tell you about the damage it must have been pretty bad. I see bumpers damged all the time and we just repaint them and that is it because it is really minor. For us tell a customer then there had to be real damage and espically if the whole bumper had to be replaced. Those bumper can be saved very easily from minor damage and you would never know the difference. Bottom line don't be stupid if they told you about the damage it must have been hit pretty hard to need a whole new cover. Second they would just get the bumper from a there supply not from japan. Think of how many people need new bumpers do you think they wait until they get one from japan and they wouldn't tell a customer about it unless there was more damage and they might find out down the road this way they cover themselves. Listen I am not saying this to **** you off I am just trying to open your eyes. I am almost postive your car is perfect and you would never be able to tell but don't let them BS you. Be happy at least your car wasn't built in March or early April thats when you might have real issues.
Old 08-14-06, 09:39 AM
tstead
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=tstead;2049293]
Originally Posted by tstead

The dealer called me and told me that they found the problem and corrected it. Apparently there is a service bulletin out on this issue which was a loose shifter cable. I'm not sure how a loose cable can translate into what appears to be temperature-dependant shifting issues unless the cable (or respective fitting) heats and cools up also. According to the dealer, my transmission shifts much better now. Since it is still at the dealer for some scratch repairs, I am yet to test it out for myself.
Well, the car shifted fine after the dealer delivered my car but two days after getting the car back, the banging noise has come back - although now it is a little louder than before. I'm going to take the car to a different dealer next week and see if they can find and correct the problem.
Old 09-07-06, 04:33 PM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by purebliss
It's not!!! Only the early builds have the probem.

This is no longer true. We had our replacement Camry which is only 1 month old and was made for us after our first one died. So they made us a late build Camry. And it died at 1800 miles. Same issues.

See my full detail post at the car-talk forum.
Old 12-07-06, 01:59 PM
DallasLex
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow, 2 Camrys in a row! How are the Acuras treating you?