ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-06, 06:15 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Question Hybrid

Has there been any word on a ES hybrid? I remember Toyota/Lexus saying that they wanted all their cars to have it ... I would imagine it would come out next year like how it took a while for the GS version to debut.

For some reason, I want my next ride to be a hybrid. The GS hybrid is a tad more than I want to pay, altho I am not ruling it out but was considering waiting to see what the specs are for a ES hybrid - I assume less HP & more MPG w/ a price around $45k.
Old 05-03-06, 09:06 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Not that I know of. I havent heard of anything about an ES hybrid. Its definitely not going to happen within the next year or 2 though. The next Hybrid that we know of is the LS600hL and that is it.

We will get others soon I assume.
Old 05-03-06, 09:36 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The new Camry has a hybrid, and although it shares the same platform as the new ES, it only has 192 hp. I doubt that Lexus will want to sell a luxury car with low horsepower for gas savings, and will most likely turn to the GS/RX/LS route of hybrids for extra power.

However, I don't know if Lexus wants a more powerful ES. The ES was not meant for power or performance but rather luxury and comfort. I would be very suprised if Lexus creates a hybrid for the ES anytime soon. I see it happening first to the IS before the ES.
Old 05-03-06, 11:38 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I see it happening first to the IS before the ES.

If it fits. The IS already has a small back seat. The GS450h already has a tiny trunk. Combine the tiny back seat of the IS and the tiny trunk of the GS450h and shrink it a little more and you're only left with one seat...for the driver.
Old 05-04-06, 07:25 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by magneto112
If it fits. The IS already has a small back seat. The GS450h already has a tiny trunk. Combine the tiny back seat of the IS and the tiny trunk of the GS450h and shrink it a little more and you're only left with one seat...for the driver.
I always thoughts that the IS should be a two-seater...

But in all honesty, if you can make a hybrid for the IS and give it approx 350 hp, it will definately catch people's attentions. An ES with 330+ hp (similar to the GS450h) may be overkill for the type of car that it is (front wheel drive with cushy suspension) .

The question however is if an IS hybrid will catch people's demand. I think Lexus will hold out to see how well the GS and LS hybrids will do.
Old 05-04-06, 08:42 AM
jeffofla
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't find it, but I could almost swear that I read Lexus would be releasing a hybrid ES in the spring of next year.
Old 05-04-06, 09:01 AM
Trexus

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

If Lexus decides to make a hydrid ES it most likely will be called the ES 400h or ES 450h. Lexus would probably use the drivetrain similar to the RX 400h (3.3 liter V6 with electric motors) or GS 450h (3.5 liter V6 with electric motors). Lexus will not use a four cylinder engine in the ES hybrid. We'll have to wait and see...

Last edited by Trexus; 05-04-06 at 12:11 PM.
Old 05-04-06, 10:17 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Default HP & MPG

True, it is not meant to be a high HP vehicle & I am sure that they will not use a 4 cylinder like in the Camry. Hopefully, what they will do is get the HP around what it is now {<300hp} & just vastly increase the MPG & green factor. That would make me happy: 250hp & 35mpg ....
Old 05-04-06, 04:46 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

dude, busty blonde can fit on passanger seat! why would you ever need back seats and trunk? All her clothes fit in the glovebox....

:-).
Old 05-04-06, 04:50 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Originally Posted by GS69
True, it is not meant to be a high HP vehicle & I am sure that they will not use a 4 cylinder like in the Camry. Hopefully, what they will do is get the HP around what it is now {<300hp} & just vastly increase the MPG & green factor. That would make me happy: 250hp & 35mpg ....
LOL...your posts get smaller and smaller everytime I read them.

I cant even see that, and I got perfect vision.
Old 05-04-06, 04:51 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Originally Posted by spwolf
dude, busty blonde can fit on passanger seat! why would you ever need back seats and trunk? All her clothes fit in the glovebox....

:-).

lol...put her in the permenant pretzel position!!?
Old 05-05-06, 04:38 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Cool Oops

LOL...your posts get smaller and smaller everytime I read them.

I cant even see that, and I got perfect vision.
My bad. I am trying out all the different fonts & colors. Funny thing is, I never change the size options so I do not know why it would shrink ... basically what I was saying that the hybrid system does not have to be like the suped up HP one in the GS since this is more of a luxury than sport sedan (altho most things I have been reading is calling it a sport sedan for some reason). If they did ~250hp & ~35mpg I would be 1 happy camper; they could just stress MPG & the green factor instead of HP.

Last edited by GS69; 05-05-06 at 04:44 AM.
Old 05-07-06, 12:56 PM
yano
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think they would mirror the Hybrid in the camry, pretty much the same as the ES is a copy of the Camry with just a bit more HP. So I would think they would bump the HP to 205-210HP and do the ES-Hybrid within the next 12 months.
Old 05-07-06, 04:54 PM
mhc0725
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Es350

Whether Lexus has a hybrid ES350 (or any other ES numeric iteration) or not, will remain to be seen, but I don't think it will be the existing Camry 4-cylinder hybrid engine with a 'engine HP' boost. Not even the intro ES250 had a 4-cylinder, so I don't think Lexus is going to start putting out 4-cylinder models just to have a hybrid model.

If Lexus did put a 4-cylinder out, it would be a big mistake, just like Acura with their Integra (ironically, I have a '92 GSR and love it), and RSX (which is being axed after this year), and TSX models. If you want to play in the luxury car arena, you have to bring your V6 and 8's and play with the big boys. Wanna be 4-bangers just are not going to give you a upper market luxury appearance.
Old 05-07-06, 05:14 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by mhc0725
If Lexus did put a 4-cylinder out, it would be a big mistake...
This is very true. Even if it is a hybrid, a V4 should not be an option.

If Lexus decides to make a hybrid for the ES, it would have to be a performance-enhancing hybrid, not a gas-saving one. Also, making a V4+hybrid ES will make people think of one thing: that the ES hybrid is a luxo-Camry hybrid.

Quick Reply: Hybrid