ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Modification for the ES350

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-06, 10:05 AM
LexFather

I think there will be less and less aftermarket support for the ES as the IS keeps growing and is the Lexus sports sedan at this price and the ES is moving more and more luxury.
Old 07-04-06, 10:59 AM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

Oh I don't think so.
As soon as the new solara comes out, they'll be gen6 Camry platform parts avalible.

Remember... The Camry platform (including the rav) in Australia is getting the in-house 2GR-FZE. Ya that's right... Camry's get Z this October beotches! Admittantly... So do the overseas IS300's. hahahahahahaha.

I just hope they're not using that stupid M45 blower they've been using on the car v6's. That thing is too small for a sub 2L i4, let along a 3.L+ v6. Stupid TRD... That better be an M90... 'cause an M62 is just as much too small for the current v6 as the M45 was for the older v6's.

Last edited by Pheonix; 07-04-06 at 11:03 AM.
Old 07-04-06, 11:02 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a similar observation, the more luxurious vehicle is - the cheaper it looks with body modifications...
Old 07-04-06, 01:49 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by twister
I have a similar observation, the more luxurious vehicle is - the cheaper it looks with body modifications...
That's exactly why I decided NOT to add a spoiler, or body side moldings......even though they're Lexus parts. They just didn't look right on an ES350.
Old 07-04-06, 02:56 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yesterday I saw a 02-03 ES300 that had wide chrome wheels and a very low drop. I didn't think there was a lowering kit for the car so I chased down the car to ask the driver how they got it lowered. The driver was a girl who pretended not to know what was going on. When I suggested the springs must have been cut to achieve the drop she admitted that's what was done. In addition, seeing the car stopped revealed the most hideous looking wheels I've seen. I have nothing against dropping an ES but cutting springs to do it just doesn't seem right.
Old 07-05-06, 08:24 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by amf1932
That's exactly why I decided NOT to add a spoiler, or body side moldings......even though they're Lexus parts. They just didn't look right on an ES350.
What about tint? I'm still not sure if its going to look good with just a back and rear passenger windows tinted. My brother-in-law is a cop, and he suggested it might not be a problem if front windows are lightly tinted (as long as they can see through), but it always be an excuse to pull over the car and to give a ticket even if nothing else is wrong. We just went through a June here in NJ where police department had to meet their quota for 6 months, and tickets were given out right-and-left even for 5mph over the speed limit. So, I am still debating if I should do it or not (tinting) when my car finally arrives in 1.5 week...
Old 07-05-06, 08:36 AM
PaJaHa1
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Twister- I'm still debating the NJ tint issue as well. Wanted to go for 35%, but I really don't need a reason to get pulled over, particularly at night. Was also thinking about 50%, but then again that's not much of a difference from OEM. The thought of drilling a plate on the front is killing me as well. I'm thinking I have to choose one, I can't do both. The Troopers should be particularly aggressive in the coming weeks, with the state losing $millions a day with the government shutdown.
Old 07-05-06, 09:52 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

@ PaJaHa1: If you have to choose between two, I would go with a no front bumper plate. That is something you can always blame on a dealer or come up with an excuse like "front bumper sensors are right behind it and it could ruin the electronics if you drill it, so you are waiting for a special order glue-on license plate holder" I just came up with this one, convincing, ah? If you are driving behind the cop, they might think you are out of state (PA perhaps?), and if they are passing you from the back - nobody going to double-check if you have one infront. With a tint - it was your OWN choice to do it, so nobody else to blame... For now I am just waiting to get my car, than will make a decision. It is not like a spoiler that you have to make up your mind right away when buying a car.
Old 07-05-06, 10:06 AM
PaJaHa1
Pole Position

I've been riding around NJ for about 2 1/2 years with no front plate on my IS300. I've driven by speed traps at slow speed and they looked by did not do anything. I'll probably go that route. I hate the tinting laws, but at the same time I don't blame the cops for wanting them. I remember a few years back a trooper was shot on the Parkway when he walked right up to the car and could not see in. Since then it seems tint has become a priority.

Because most ES drivers are not likely to be moving kilos in the trunk (unlike a 300C, for example) I don't know that cops would bother to harass us too much.
Old 07-05-06, 11:53 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

I probably going to request my dealer to leave front license plate off as well. Since I'm getting a Tungsten Pearl with a black interior, I wonder how much of that inside darkness actually going to reflect on the window, hmm...
Old 07-05-06, 12:18 PM
mikedozz
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

I have been riding around in NJ (Bergen and Hudson County) for 5 years with 5% black window tint and have only gotten 2 tickets. If you want to have the windows tinted and you like the look, i would do it. $80 in 5 years in tickets ain't bad but its your choice.
Old 07-05-06, 12:52 PM
PaJaHa1
Pole Position

It's all about luck I guess... 5% is definitely an unsafe situation though. Have you ever had guns drawn when they pulled you over?
Old 07-06-06, 09:09 AM
mikedozz
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

Nope, anytime i was pulled over buy a cop, i would roll the 2 front windows down before both cars stopped so when the cop approached my car, i had my hands out the window and he had perfect vision because i do understand that they might feel very unsafe approaching a car that they can not see inside of. Plus, i have gotten into the habit, when i see a cop ahead of me or in the rear view, i automatically put the windows down, its like 2nd nature now. If you are gonna go dark tint, you have to be alittle careful about it and have respect for the cops also. The one cop that gave me the tinted window ticket was a County copped and he actually complimented me on the rims and tints on my car but said he still had to give me the ticket.
Old 07-06-06, 04:30 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Pheonix
Oh I don't think so.
As soon as the new solara comes out, they'll be gen6 Camry platform parts avalible.
I read in a magazine there won't be a new Solara, it's been discontinued.
Old 07-06-06, 09:17 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by reggiek
I read in a magazine there won't be a new Solara, it's been discontinued.
More or less. It will be replaced by a new model of a different name.

Quick Reply: Modification for the ES350