ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Voice Recogition for Climate Control Mode

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-06, 07:11 PM
Ingram4868
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeffofla, is the trouble associated with the engine being on or off? I was just thinking perhaps a bare wire that might be picking up stray RF from the car itself. Let's hope the wizards get it fixed quickly for you.
Old 06-11-06, 08:36 AM
jeffofla
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Great question. The tech stated it was a software fix that, after restarting, seemed to take 10 minutes to cycle through. But he said there was no fix yet. They would call me. I can tell you though, after 10 minutes, it still doesn't work for me. And the day that it did work at the dealer was the only time it ever worked. It might be a bare wire issue, but I'd think that all the other commands that do work would not work either, no?
Old 06-11-06, 05:51 PM
wizhill
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffofla
Great question. The tech stated it was a software fix that, after restarting, seemed to take 10 minutes to cycle through. But he said there was no fix yet. They would call me. I can tell you though, after 10 minutes, it still doesn't work for me. And the day that it did work at the dealer was the only time it ever worked. It might be a bare wire issue, but I'd think that all the other commands that do work would not work either, no?
Could the problem be road noise? Was the car parked when the dealer tried it and in motion when you tried it? I'm thinking maybe the system has a hard time recognizing those particular words with road noise.

Grasping at straws here, but it was a thought. BTW, FWIW, I have never been able to get the temperature control functions working, either. Glad to know it's not just me, but disappointed that Lexus seems to have a problem with no solution (yet).
Old 06-11-06, 05:53 PM
jeffofla
Pole Position

Originally Posted by wizhill
Could the problem be road noise? Was the car parked when the dealer tried it and in motion when you tried it? I'm thinking maybe the system has a hard time recognizing those particular words with road noise.

Grasping at straws here, but it was a thought. BTW, FWIW, I have never been able to get the temperature control functions working, either. Glad to know it's not just me, but disappointed that Lexus seems to have a problem with no solution (yet).
No. As I said, it is a known problem. The other command's work.
Old 06-14-06, 09:45 AM
Hitsme
Driver School Candidate

Hi folks -

This is my first post here and I actually had the good fortune of finding you while searching online for information about this climate control voice recognition problem.

Mine works intermittently, and I've done some experimenting. . .

First of all, it can't have anything to do with road noise or voice level, etc because it is only the climate controls that fail to work. All other commands work flawlessly, everytime, whether or not the climate controls are working at that moment. If it was road noise, etc it would affect all commands.

Next, when it is working, it works in any screen mode. You don't have to be displaying the climate controls.

I have found that having a "chat" with the climate controls before starting the car seems to work 90% of the time for me. That is I put it in Accessory (ACC) mode so the dash lights up, give it a few climate commands (which it accepts), then start the car and it keeps accepting commands. If it doesn't accept the climate command in ACC, I turn it off, put it back in ACC and try again until it does start accepting the commands.

This might explain why Jeffofla's service advisor had it work the first time. I'm guessing he didn't start the car.

From a technical standpoint it appears to be a matter of resetting the computer until that area of its vocabulary comes up properly. The key seems to be resetting when it doesn't also have to worry about starting the vehicle.

Any thoughts?
Old 06-14-06, 10:23 AM
Ingram4868
Driver

Goodmorning Dave, how are you feeling this morning ?
Old 07-05-06, 10:38 PM
jeffofla
Pole Position

Any updates on a fix?
Old 09-09-06, 06:54 PM
dreyfus
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I just received my car back from having the display unit switched out to fix the climate voice recognition problem.

The new unit works perfectly and all the commands I've tried function as they should.

Too bad I lost all my phone numbers in the process. It took me two hours to reenter them.
Old 09-09-06, 10:19 PM
jeffofla
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dreyfus
I just received my car back from having the display unit switched out to fix the climate voice recognition problem.

The new unit works perfectly and all the commands I've tried function as they should.

Too bad I lost all my phone numbers in the process. It took me two hours to reenter them.

I got mine fixed last week, and ditto dreyfus. It works perfectly... but the unavoidable re-entry of the phone numbers was a pain.
Old 09-10-06, 04:09 PM
Ingram4868
Driver

We are still waiting for our dealer to call back with an answer as to why our replacement NAV unit also failed. I wounder if the tech is not doing something correctly.
Old 09-10-06, 05:49 PM
jeffofla
Pole Position

How long did you have the replacement before it failed?
Old 09-11-06, 08:28 AM
Ingram4868
Driver

When the wife picked up the car on the day of the replacement it did not work. They took it into the service area and after a short wait it came out and it worked fine all the way home. She tried it the following day and it did not work.

She called the service writer and they said they will check with someone and call back. After a week she called the service writer and was told they don't have an answer yet. It has been about 3 weeks now.
Old 09-12-06, 11:10 AM
toneman
Lead Lap

jeffofla/dreyfus--I take it both of you either have quite a few phone numbers that aren't stored on your BT-capable cell phone, or your BT cell phone isn't capable of transferring contacts from one BT device to another (many Verizon phones have this capability "crippled"...which is one reason why I won't consider going w/ Verizon at this time...but I digress)? I can sympathize w/ both of you in that regard (having to manually input phone contacts)...lucky for me, if I had to re-enter my phone contacts, it won't take as long since the phones I have (Moto V3, V3i, V600) permit contact transfers via BT--no need to manually input contact names and numbers into the ES350 phone book!
Old 09-12-06, 01:07 PM
dreyfus
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by toneman
jeffofla/dreyfus--I take it both of you either have quite a few phone numbers that aren't stored on your BT-capable cell phone, or your BT cell phone isn't capable of transferring contacts from one BT device to another (many Verizon phones have this capability "crippled"...which is one reason why I won't consider going w/ Verizon at this time...but I digress)?
Yes, I have Verizon and they've disabled this feature. I don't mind telling you how unhappy I am with Verizon for their crap policy, but since it's a company phone I don't have any say in the matter.

A few hours of input later and I'm all set once again.
Old 09-12-06, 01:35 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
No problem. Sorry if I sounded like I took it the wrong way.

Ignore my posts
It was obvious you were just trying to help. Some people are unappreciative and a little bit "oversensitive". Theirs are the posts that should be ignored.

Quick Reply: Voice Recogition for Climate Control Mode