ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Voice Recogition for Climate Control Mode

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-06, 07:48 PM
jeffofla
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Voice Recogition for Climate Control Mode

I can't seem to get any of the climate control mode voice commands to work. Almost all others I have tried (about 20 different commands) seemed to work. Does anyone else have this problem? Do I need to be in a special mode to make this happen? Usually, I just hit the talk switch on the steering wheel. But I can't get any of the following commands to work:

Automatic Air Conditioning
Automatic Air Conditioning On
Automatic Air Conditioning Off
Raise Temperature
Lower Temperature
Warmer
Cooler
"______" degrees (65-85)
Example: * 72 degrees
Old 05-29-06, 08:36 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think in the GS I say "Climate 72 degrees" and that works just fine... try that
Old 05-29-06, 09:44 PM
jeffofla
Pole Position

Thanks. None of the commands in my post work, nor do those even remotely close to your one command, such as "Climate 72 degrees" . Climate is actually not an approved term in the list. But I'm willing to deviate to closely associated words, but to no avail. As an FYI... I speak in American English w/ clear enunciation, not unlike those actors in the Demo Video (see separate thread here in the forum).
Old 05-30-06, 02:30 AM
kmmcgra
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't get mine to work either. It keeps saying this command is not available in this screen. I tried doing it from all screens with the same results. I can't remember if that Demo video had an example of controlling the climate in it. The only one I remember is the audio on/off example. The climate commands are in the help screen so they should work. Strange. I may call my dealership today and ask them about it.
Old 05-30-06, 06:47 AM
cleblanc
Rookie

My dealer called me right after I picke up my car and told me that the missing commands for climate control was a Lexus problem that would be fixed when they got the 'chip' in. Last I hear they still didn't have it. So it sounds like this is a problem everywhere that will eventually be fixed..
Old 05-30-06, 03:44 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Here's a list, scroll down towards the bottom.
You have to use "temperature":

http://www.vfaq.net/docs/Prius_NAV_Voice_commands.html
Old 05-30-06, 05:05 PM
jeffofla
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Here's a list, scroll down towards the bottom.
You have to use "temperature":

http://www.vfaq.net/docs/Prius_NAV_Voice_commands.html
Please read my original post again. We're talking about a Lexus ES 350, not a Toyota Prius. The only approved commands for the climate control are the ones I have posted, which are different from the Prius. "Temperature XX degrees" is not a valid comand. Your post is therefore misleading.
Old 05-30-06, 05:13 PM
GS3Tek

Originally Posted by jeffofla
Please read my original post again. We're talking about a Lexus ES 350, not a Toyota Prius. The only approved commands for the climate control are the ones I have posted, which are different from the Prius. "Temperature XX degrees" is not a valid comand. Your post is therefore misleading.
You're welcome for helping.
At least you could've been courteous to thank some one to take out their time to help somewhat.

When I hit submit, I forgot to realize it wasn't for the 5th gen navigation.

Yes, that list is for a Prius, but will work for other 4th gen Lexus navigation (like a GX also) should anyone stumble into this thread.
It was misleading, but won't kill anyone.
Old 05-30-06, 05:28 PM
jeffofla
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
You're welcome for helping.
At least you could've been courteous to thank some one to take out their time to help somewhat.

When I hit submit, I forgot to realize it wasn't for the 5th gen navigation.

Yes, that list is for a Prius, but will work for other 4th gen Lexus navigation (like a GX also) should anyone stumble into this thread.
It was misleading, but won't kill anyone.
I don't recall thanking you. The point I was trying to make is that your post was useless and provided no help at all. While you think you're being helpful, you could actually make people even more frustrated by going to that link and believing that the commands on it are the ones they should be using for their own car. That's just not the case. While Toyota does use a great many of the commands, as you correctly point out in your response, this is a 5th generation software where commands have changed. Yes, people should read their manual, but most people don't and by using the Prius commands, they could actually be upset if some of them don't work when in reality, if they used the correct commands, they just might.

This is not a personal attack against you and I can't apologize if you take it as such. But because people come here to seek out information, it would be wise if you verify the information is accurate before hitting the sumit button.

The whole issue is answered anyway. I'm not the only one that has encountered the problem anyway. It's just now turns into warranty issue #3 for my month only ES 350.
Old 05-30-06, 05:31 PM
GS3Tek

Originally Posted by jeffofla
I don't recall thanking you. The point I was trying to make is that your post was useless and provided no help at all. While you think you're being helpful, you could actually make people even more frustrated by going to that link and believing that the commands on it are the ones they should be using for their own car. That's just not the case. While Toyota does use a great many of the commands, as you correctly point out in your response, this is a 5th generation software where commands have changed. Yes, people should read their manual, but most people don't and by using the Prius commands, they could actually be upset if some of them don't work when in reality, if they used the correct commands, they just might.

This is not a personal attack against you and I can't apologize if you take it as such. But because people come here to seek out information, it would be wise if you verify the information is accurate before hitting the sumit button.

The whole issue is answered anyway. I'm not the only one that has encountered the problem anyway. It's just now turns into warranty issue #3 for my month only ES 350.
No problem. Sorry if I sounded like I took it the wrong way.

Ignore my posts
Old 05-30-06, 06:56 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

After reading this thread I ran right down to my car to check if my voice commands were understood. I'm happy to say, they were, but in the final analysis i'll probably only use it to impress my friends with this "Hi-Tech" function, since it's easier and faster to turn the radio on & off, and change the stations. This holds true also for using voice commands for the climate control and also the Navigation. If and when I use it for the bluetooth function remains to be seen, because as of yet my cellphone doesn't have this feature.
Old 05-30-06, 11:04 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

If I am not mistaken, you have to be in the Climate Control screen to input any climate control commands, just like you have to be in the map screen to input any POI commands.
Old 05-31-06, 06:51 AM
tnfan
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The commands do not work for me either. BTW, I was in the Climate mode when I attempted to use them. I have had difficulty getting the VR to recognize a lot of the commands. Not sure if it is my accent or a finicky VR system. I had no problems with my BMW. I am a little disappointed in the VR as I find it rather cumbersome to use.
Old 06-10-06, 12:20 PM
kmmcgra
Driver School Candidate

Well I had my car in for the first service and had them look at this issue. They called me back to the work shop and showed me that the climate voice commands worked. I told him I was doing nothing different than before and he said he did "reset the computer" and that possible fixed the problem. Now around 24 hours after seeing these commands work they now do not work anymore.
Other notes: they said the ventilation seats are working as designed.. ( had a 2006 loaner car and those seats blow air)
After "resetting the computer" the outside temp. gauge on my car now takes up to an hour to display the real outside temp. The replaced the sensor which didn't help . The scratched their heads and said maybe is will fix itself after a few on/offs of starting the car.....which it hasn't. Unfortunately I live 2 hours from my dealership so will have to have these looked again during the next service.
Old 06-10-06, 01:10 PM
jeffofla
Pole Position

I did end up taking my car in to the dealer. My service advisor got in the car, gave some of the voice commands for climate controls and it worked perfectly. It had NEVER worked before. Well, then I left the dealer and they didn't work again. I took it back, and showed the advisor again , and he said "hmm.. well, you're right. Although not all of them are supposed to work anyway, because some of them were in the book and not actually in the command list. I said, "Oh that's a bunch of bs and you know it. I know others that have it. " He called a service tech who came up and said, "Sometimes, not always, after the car restarts, the commands will work. But Lexus knows about the problem and does not have a fix for it yet."

So if this is true, for those of us who have the problem, let's post the fix here when we know it.

Quick Reply: Voice Recogition for Climate Control Mode