ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Ventilated Seats

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-06, 09:25 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, what a difference a day makes. Did another test this morning. It was about 15 or more degrees cooler than yesterday. I went to buy my first BT cell phone.....my afternoon chore. Anyway, I could feel cool air coming out the seat backs all the way up and across.

Now, back to these darned manuals....
Old 06-03-06, 11:17 PM
TonyES350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I checked my seats again tonight under cooler temperatures.

There is air coming through the seats, but it is so faint that I have to look for it with the back of my hand. I can't see how this faint level of airflow would serve any purpose at all.

I don't think anything is wrong with my car because lots of you guys are also complaining that the airflow is faint.

It just seems like a waste to have these blower-motors under the seats that are essentially useless when turned on.

Has anyone gotten any new insight from their dealer at this point? It appears from another post on this thread that the dealers are aware of the problem but cannot do anything about it.

Tony
Old 06-26-06, 11:06 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As the weather warms up, I've had a better chance to test the cooled seats. This is going to sound weird, but what type of clothing you're wearing has a bearing on how well the seats seem to work. Jeans seem good and you can feel the air coming through. Other thicker clothing material, can't feel a thing. OK, everyone laugh now, but its true

My wife also pointed out to me that you can really hear the seat fan working. Don't start your car - just push the button twice to get the accessories on, switch your AC and radio off. Turn your seat cooling on to 3 and you'll immediately hear this fan noise come on. My wife said she found this earlier today and thought something was wrong with the car, until she worked out it was the seat making the fan noise
Old 06-27-06, 05:43 AM
PaJaHa1
Pole Position

I've also heard that when you set the A/C to the "floor" position, the cold air makes it's way through the ventilators in the seats and feels cooler.
Old 06-27-06, 11:06 AM
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by wanderer99
As the weather warms up, I've had a better chance to test the cooled seats. This is going to sound weird, but what type of clothing you're wearing has a bearing on how well the seats seem to work. Jeans seem good and you can feel the air coming through. Other thicker clothing material, can't feel a thing. OK, everyone laugh now, but its true

My wife also pointed out to me that you can really hear the seat fan working. Don't start your car - just push the button twice to get the accessories on, switch your AC and radio off. Turn your seat cooling on to 3 and you'll immediately hear this fan noise come on. My wife said she found this earlier today and thought something was wrong with the car, until she worked out it was the seat making the fan noise
Compared to the very first ventilated seats I had, some years back in a first or second model year Saab 9-5, these Lexus seats are whisper-quiet. Granted, I think the Saab seats were more effective at churning out the air, but the noise.... oh my goodness!
Old 06-27-06, 12:22 PM
psp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that Wanderer99 is correct. The type of clothes does make a difference. I also feel it more through the bottom ofthe seat than on my back. I can hear them if the radio is off and the climate is on low.

What was really neat is that (IMHO) PaJaHa1 is correct in what he has heard, directing cool air to the floor does appear to make the air cooler on the seat. Thanks for the tip!
Old 06-27-06, 01:11 PM
dp5
Driver

I thought that the amount of air flowing through the seats was barely significant until I received a loaner car that didn't have this feature. Several times throughout the day, my bottom and lower back got really hot (I live in Houston) and I leaned over to turn up the seat ventilation only to remember that the loaner car didn't have that feature. Evidently, the air flow is not much but it is enough to make a significant difference.

The clothes that you wear make a difference, too. My wife simply pulls the bottom part of her skirt up to her lower back and lets the air blow directly onto her skin. She thinks that the ventilation works great. Not an option for us guys.
Old 06-28-06, 06:17 AM
PaJaHa1
Pole Position

anybody else turned on by that?
Old 06-28-06, 08:10 AM
CaBlonde
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't get me started. LOL I've been holding my tongue on that "Ok, so whats the hole for??" thread.
Old 06-28-06, 09:20 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

......... just typed in a reply, but than had to erase it. Otherwise I will get kicked off this forum And, PaJaHa1, I bet you would feel really sick if you find out that lady is an age of your grandma? Ok, enough of that

Regarding ventilated seats, I was very impressed while test driving ES350. I'm so used to salesperson at dealership blowing air up my ***, so it was a very pleasant surprise to get it directly from a car LOL!!! But seriously, in a hot weather when you stick to a leather seat, this cool air breeze would be really refreshing.... Its going to be a very long 3 weeks before I'm going to get my new ES350...
Old 06-09-11, 08:05 AM
mortirius
Driver School Candidate

Default ventilated seats

In the Es350 there are two fans per seat similar to the fans used in a computer. you might be able to upgrade the fans to the one that are on GS or LS. The fans look something like this

http://www.championseatheaters.com/content/about.html
Old 06-10-11, 08:09 AM
1badass
Driver School Candidate

Default That's a great idea

Turbo charge those suckers.

Wonder how big one fan go?

Cheers