ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Newbie questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-06, 10:25 AM
Scott in H
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie questions

Hey guys. I'm looking at an ES350 fully loaded w/ Nav and DVD, etc.

Questions:

1) Can you do a nav hack like specified here for another Lexus (the IS250/350).

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...light=nav+hack

2) Does the ES350 have the same Nav and entertainment system as the new IS with DVD changer and MP3 ability, etc?

3) How well has your BT worked in terms of voice quality on each end of the call?
Old 06-13-06, 09:40 AM
dp5
Driver

1. I'm familiar with the Nav hack and suspect that it would work the same but I don't know of anyone who has tested this. I've posted the question on the IS and GS forums but received no replies.

2. The Es does have the same system as the IS.

3. I was really concerned about BT sound quality. When using this feature, I can hear the other caller perfectly. The people with whom I am speaking say that the sound quality on their end is really good but I haven't tested it personally. Maybe I should have my wife call the house from the driveway so I can hear what it is like to be on the receiving end. Everyone I have spoken with says that the quality is more than sufficient for business calls.
Old 06-13-06, 06:50 PM
Scott in H
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for your response!!

I sat in an ES with the UL package which is how I would buy the car. It sounds excellent in there with a nice DVD to play. It equals the system in my wifes M35 and betters the system in my new M5.

The ventilated seats aren't perfect, but they're better than nothing. It was 100 degrees today (ugh) and I could definitely tell a difference in the ES vs. my drive in the RL & TL without ventilated seats.

If I get the ES, I can guarantee that I'll tackle this hack very quickly. I've done an almost identicle hack on my wife's car, and it makes the car so much more enjoyable.
Old 06-14-06, 08:44 AM
dp5
Driver

I've got the UL car, too,and I would highly recommend it. The wheels, panoramic roof, nicer leather, etc. are nice but the Mark Levinson sound system is what really made me buy the UL package.

I've thought about doing the hack but haven't pursued it yet. In my opinion, there are 3 reasons to do the hack.

1. Input Nav addresses while driving - having the hack would make this easier but there is a manual override that only takes about 10 seconds that lets you input addresses while driving. You have to perform the override anew each time you want to put in an address while driving but, since I only end up needing to put in the addresses while moving about once a week, I don't mind doing the manual override.

2. Dialing out using Nav Screen - Again, it would be convenient to be able to use the dialing touchscreen while moving. However, 90% of my calls go to the same few people, my staff, wife, family, a few friends, etc.. You have 18 speed dial numbers that can be used while the car is moving and this means that the vast majority of my calls can be placed using the touchscreen while the car is moving. The hack would let you enter PIN numbers when checking voicemail and this would be convenient. Right now, I just use the dial pad on my phone to enter these numbers and you still get to hear everything through the Bluetooth. On a side note, when calling numbers that are not in speed dial, you can use the Dial by Number voice recognition feature. It is a little cumbersome but the voice recognition works well. About 80% of calls are placed properly the first time and I've never had to try more than twice to get the proper phone number dialed. A hint when using this feature is to speak the number quickly. It recognizes your voice better than when you have a pause between each digit in the phone number.

3. Watching a DVD while driving - I have 3 kids so this may occasionally be useful but we generally take our Suburban when taking long trips with the kids and they watch DVD's using a portable DVD player. I can always use the portable DVD player in my car if needed. Playing DVDs while moving has a high "cool factor" but I just don't know how often I would really use it.

Let me know if you decide to do the hack and how it goes. I am still tossing the idea back and forth.
Old 06-14-06, 03:12 PM
psp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am interested in information about "the hack". How do you do it on an ES350?

Thank you very much.
Old 06-14-06, 04:44 PM
richbutler
Rookie

Originally Posted by dp5
I've got the UL car, too,and I would highly recommend it. The wheels, panoramic roof, nicer leather, etc. are nice but the Mark Levinson sound system is what really made me buy the UL package.

I've thought about doing the hack but haven't pursued it yet. In my opinion, there are 3 reasons to do the hack.

1. Input Nav addresses while driving - having the hack would make this easier but there is a manual override that only takes about 10 seconds that lets you input addresses while driving. You have to perform the override anew each time you want to put in an address while driving but, since I only end up needing to put in the addresses while moving about once a week, I don't mind doing the manual override.
It is my understanding that the "hack" that requires you to remove the Nav screen and connect a few wires in the back.

However, this "hack" won't solve the problem of not being able to input Nav addresses while moving. Here is a link to the "hack"..... https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=motion+switch It is my understanding that this modification will allow you to view DVDs and operate the blue tooth functions through the nav screeen while the car is in motion.
Old 06-14-06, 08:19 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you guys realize that if you do this hack and then have problems, you can kiss your warranty goodbye!!! That's the only reason I won't even attempt it.
Old 06-16-06, 03:48 PM
RA061024
Rookie

Originally Posted by amf1932
Do you guys realize that if you do this hack and then have problems, you can kiss your warranty goodbye!!! That's the only reason I won't even attempt it.
Would you kiss the whole warranty goodbye or just the audio/nav part of the warranty? Just curious.

Also has anyone attempted to install the XM kit on their '07 ES350? I looked into purchasing it from the dealer and they want $930 for the kit installed.
Old 06-16-06, 04:01 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 07ES350
Would you kiss the whole warranty goodbye or just the audio/nav part of the warranty? Just curious.
Probably just the audio/ nav part, but don't hold me to it. As an example: The history of your service is recorded at the dealer, so in actuality they could pin other problems in the future on this rewiring of the car. They don't like you to play around with your car.
Old 06-16-06, 05:25 PM
RA061024
Rookie

Originally Posted by amf1932
They don't like you to play around with your car.
LOL! And I just found this website that will show you how to tear apart your car too.
It is pretty cool. I guess you could say it is an electronic service manual for your Lexus. They charge $50/mo. or $350/yr. to view the information. I really haven't check to see if you could print the information. I'm pretty sure you could though. I'm planning on installing the XM kit and tuner in my car , oops, my wife's car. They want $903+tax to install it at the Lexus dealer and I could do it for $395/max. At least I think I can. I'm pretty sure I could. It is just a matter of removing the head unit to get to the pin connectors.

Here is the website, just in case you don't already know about it.

http://techinfo.toyota.com/
Old 06-16-06, 08:31 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

how would they know in the first place you did the hack mod, its not exactly obvious
Old 06-16-06, 09:16 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
how would they know in the first place you did the hack mod, its not exactly obvious
They'll know! They first put you into a hypnotic trance and get the truth out of you, and then they tear up your warranty right before your eyes. LOL
Old 06-17-06, 05:31 AM
Scott in H
Driver School Candidate

I've done this hack on our Infiniti M35, and the service dept. thinks it's cool. They wanted to know how to do it themselves.

Seriously, you don't have to worry about your warranty. At the very worst, it voids the nav system warranty only. I know this for a fact. It is the law. They cannot void the whole car's warranty for one mod.

Next, just treat your service advisor right. You can do virtually anything when they're on your side.
Old 06-20-06, 05:00 PM
M_Murrell
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Scott in H
Seriously, you don't have to worry about your warranty. At the very worst, it voids the nav system warranty only. I know this for a fact. It is the law. They cannot void the whole car's warranty for one mod.
This may be true, but if you were to theoretically visit a number of dealers, you would not get the same story at all of them. Due to a combination of ignorance(common at many dealerships) and dishonesty, you would in some cases get the brush-off treatment..

In these situations, you'd have to go beyond the local-yoddles and get someone higher up the food chain involved.

Sad it has to be this way.
Old 06-21-06, 12:13 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haha I installed many aftermarket performance modifications including 100 shot computer controlled nitrous on my TL when I had it but since I treat the service department manager right I still had warranty.

It doesn't necessarily void your warranty!

Quick Reply: Newbie questions