ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Trim Strips

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-06, 06:35 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Trim Strips

Any opinions about putting on OEM door trim strips? I saw them on an ES350 at a Lexus showroom. They come already painted, and they're put on with some sort of adhesive backing.
My dealer doesn't have any accessories yet for ES350 like these strips or a little prepainted trunk spoiler. Would you do it? I have mixed emotions about putting on add ons.

P.S. I already saw a slight scratch on my drivers door from some A-hole that wasn't careful when they opened up their door and hit into mine.

Alan

Last edited by amf1932; 06-15-06 at 06:50 PM.
Old 06-15-06, 07:31 PM
psp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm thinking about it but the car looks so cool without them. Any idea of the co$t? I was thinking of the clear bra too but I didn't care for the look of it on the black car. I am parking farther away and walking. The excercise does me good and I like keeping the car nice.
Old 06-15-06, 08:26 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

I don't know what the dealer is going to charge for these accessories, since they don't have any for the 350's yet.
Old 06-15-06, 08:56 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Alan, are you talking about the pinstriping that runs from the front to rear along the side of the body? I would keep the clean look of the ES but that's just my opinion.
Old 06-15-06, 09:05 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lexusk8
Alan, are you talking about the pinstriping that runs from the front to rear along the side of the body? I would keep the clean look of the ES but that's just my opinion.
Yes, exactly. That's why I'm a little hesitant about putting it on.....I like the slab look of the doors. It's kind of unusual. On the other hand, the cars I've seen with these strips installed didn't look bad at all since they're painted the same as the door itself. They will afford a little more protection from dings though. That's why I have mixed emotions.
Old 06-15-06, 10:07 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

From his description it sounds like he is talking about body side mouldings, not pin stripes. If done properly, the look fine and really protect the doors from the idiots in parking lots.
Steve
Old 06-16-06, 03:28 AM
cleblanc
Rookie

Originally Posted by oldcajun
From his description it sounds like he is talking about body side mouldings, not pin stripes. If done properly, the look fine and really protect the doors from the idiots in parking lots.
Steve
I'm also thinking of having the body side molding put on and would love to see a real picture or an actual car with it on before I go ahead. I hate the thought of getting door dings and would like to protect the car. I already have a couple dings on my hood from driving on the highway and rocks flying up. I know nothing will protect it 100% but something is better than nothing.
Old 06-16-06, 08:29 AM
dreyfus
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by amf1932
I don't know what the dealer is going to charge for these accessories, since they don't have any for the 350's yet.
My dealer has quoted me $299 for the body side mouldings, installed. The service manager said they've installed them on one other 350 (black) and that it was "stylin".

I haven't seen them installed other than in pictures, but am thinking of getting them myself. The shape and color coding should look very nice and they'll protect the doors, too.

The price is about $100 too high, though.
Old 06-16-06, 09:46 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

I've seen them installed on an ES350 and they look good......but you're right......the price you have to pay for this simple modification is pretty high!
Old 06-16-06, 10:33 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

I just found out that Lexus of Smithtown would charge $699.00 plus tax to install these strips!!!

I think that's a bit much, so I'm going to hold off doing it. It really sounds like a rip off.
Old 06-19-06, 10:02 PM
wizhill
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd prefer a look of a door without door dings in it, but that's just my opinion.

I paid for them when I got my Smokey Granite Mica; still waiting on the dealer to get them so they can be installed. I'll post pictures when they finally get installed, unless someone beats me to it.
Old 06-20-06, 06:56 AM
Ingram4868
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by amf1932
I just found out that Lexus of Smithtown would charge $699.00 plus tax to install these strips!!!

I think that's a bit much, so I'm going to hold off doing it. It really sounds like a rip off.
I've had the trim replaced on other cars and those pieces did not come painted. So I guess we would have to factor in some time and materials for the paint booth but the install time for peel and stick molding should be very little. Using a wall type lazer and masking tape to set your lines sounds pretty simple. My wife does not want the moldings and was quick to point out that my Avalon has the OEM molding and I still got a ding.
Old 06-20-06, 07:58 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ingram4868
I've had the trim replaced on other cars and those pieces did not come painted. So I guess we would have to factor in some time and materials for the paint booth but the install time for peel and stick molding should be very little. Using a wall type lazer and masking tape to set your lines sounds pretty simple. My wife does not want the moldings and was quick to point out that my Avalon has the OEM molding and I still got a ding.
The moldings and the trunk spoiler for the ES350's are pre-painted at the factory.
I agree with your wife about not getting the molding strips because theres no assurance that they'll prevent dings above or below the moldings.
Old 06-20-06, 08:14 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't get the mouldings. Keep it clean looking. The strips do NOT prevent all dings. With the variable heights of sedans, coupes, SUVs, and even motorcycles, a little strip does not protect your car significantly.

I would rather put a clear bra on the doors before putting on the strips...
Old 06-20-06, 03:35 PM
cleblanc
Rookie

With the high price of the body side moldings, I'm now wondering if I should have gotten the Door Ding Protection when I bought my car. I think that was only $499 which is cheaper than buying and installing the body side moldings. Also I'm assuming it would cover the entire door which is more than the strips would.
According to the flyer I got, the Door Ding Protection program utilizes the Paintless Dent Repair (PDR) process, developed by automobile manufacturing production teams to permanently remove door dings and minor dents.
Thoughts anyone?

Quick Reply: Trim Strips