Comparing M35 and ES350 Help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-06, 06:13 AM
andejes
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Comparing M35 and ES350 Help.

Hi

I put a deposit on a Lexus ES350 wit the UL package, but I just drove the Infinity M35 with all wheel drive and there is a huge difference in handling. I am torn. Did anyone here test drive both of these cars before making their final decision? Here are the pro/cons I have so far. Another deciding factor would be service, but I don’t have any information on that.

M35
Pros
Great feel
All the bells and whistles
Longer warranty 4 yr/60,000 miles

Cons
Cost
Fuel economy

ES350
Good fuel economy
Price

Cons
Exterior is exactly like a 2006 Camry
Interior exactly like the 2007 Camry
Not as exciting to drive
Old 06-27-06, 06:25 AM
PaJaHa1
Pole Position

Haven't driven the M, but I can tell you that VALUE wise you can't beat the Lexus. The M is clearly more of a "driver's" car that will perform and take corners better- the AWD is also a big advantage. To me, it seems more logical to compare the M35 to the GS AWD. The GS is the Lexus mid-size sport sedan. I would think that Infiniti's G would be the closest match to the ES, since the ES is Lexus' entry-level luxury sedan.

If you are looking for a great ride, world-class interior, exceptional reliability and service and best value go with the ES.
Old 06-27-06, 06:29 AM
psp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did.

It all depends on what you want and how you drive. I wanted something that was quiet, luxurious, and comfortable with all the bells and whistles. I do not do much "sporty" driving, more of the just point and go. I also like the roominess and the generous back seat for the kids (when I let them in it). I thought the Infiniti was terrific but the Lex cost less and met my needs better. I do not regret my decision. Nothing better than after a hard day at work climbing into the Lex and facing the commute home.
Old 06-27-06, 07:15 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by andejes
Cons
Not as exciting to drive
I have to admit, the exterior is distinctively Camry-ish.

However, the interior is so much more different, especially with the alien-head bulb-ness of the center console. It's unique, and more distinctive that all the rectangular center columns with wood trim across the top that you see in everything from Hyundai to Cadillac to Rolls Royce...

The driving part is the most important aspect of the ES. It is not supposed to be sporty and agile. It is supposed to be comforting and accommodating. For some people, they'll find it numb and dull. For a lot more people, they'll find it the best ride out there. Two sets of people can be correct about the car: one set will buy the ES, and the other set will get the M35. Which set do you fall under?
Old 06-27-06, 07:41 AM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile Let's see!

Hi

I put a deposit on a Lexus ES350 wit the UL package, but I just drove the Infinity M35 with all wheel drive and there is a huge difference in handling. I am torn. Did anyone here test drive both of these cars before making their final decision? Here are the pro/cons I have so far. Another deciding factor would be service, but I don’t have any information on that.

M35
Pros
Great feel
Longer warranty 4 yr/60,000 miles

Cons
Cost
Fuel economy

ES350
Good fuel economy
Price

Cons
Not as exciting to drive

I myself like Lexus quality and would get the ES350. Being fair though, you sound as if you have more cons against the ES350 and are leaning toward the M. That said go with the car you want in your heart. Sometimes pros and cons only are like the covers of a book, and tell half the story when it comes to buying a car.

I would get a Lexus over a better car if their is one, 100 times out of 100. Its about like and dislike, that makes chosing more simple. Which do you want to be seen in,which would you like to do service on, which would you not mind taking care of after the warranty. Ultimately which one do you like the most!

Good luck on whatever you pick. Its yours!

GOD IS GOOD!

Last edited by usermel; 06-27-06 at 07:45 AM. Reason: spelling!
Old 06-27-06, 07:47 AM
andejes
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks Everyone

I think I should drive the ES350 again and then decide if the M is worth the additional $$$. It's just that my sister bought a 2007 Camry and I was quite upset to see the distinct similarities which made me question my decision. I will let you know what I do.
Old 06-27-06, 10:08 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

lexus has a 7 year powertrain warranty, 4 year bumper to bumper
Old 06-27-06, 11:08 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

Cons
???
Some family resemblance, but the exterior is FAR from exactly like the Camry, I can tell the difference a mile away.
Interior is TOTALLY different form a Camry, Far more refined, with better materials/insulation, & they look & feel very different.
Old 06-27-06, 11:31 AM
andejes
Driver School Candidate

Default Bumper to Bumper warranty is only 50,000 for the ES350

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
lexus has a 7 year powertrain warranty, 4 year bumper to bumper
The warranty for the Infiniti is 60,000 for 4 years
Old 06-27-06, 11:33 AM
andejes
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
???
Some family resemblance, but the exterior is FAR from exactly like the Camry, I can tell the difference a mile away.
Interior is TOTALLY different form a Camry, Far more refined, with better materials/insulation, & they look & feel very different.

When I say the interior is the same, I mean the shape of the interior. Yes the options and details are different but the interior structure is the same.

Thanks for the reply. It's just more to think about.
Old 06-27-06, 11:53 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its funny that I heard the same thing from a few of my co-workers when they look at some of the pictures of ES350 on the web - looks similar to Camry. Pictures are too deceiving, you have to see these cars face-to-face!!! They have a similar layout of the front and the back of the car, and somewhat close outline shape from the side. But, that is as far as the similarity goes. Below are the pictures I found on another website/forum:

Its NOT the same, its VERY FAR from being the same. I completely agree with LexArazzo, you can see Camry from miles away. The shape and details of the car are cheap, well of course in comparison to ES350 Don't get me wrong, Camry is a great car. But in side-by-side comparison based on exterior - its different!!! ES350 has these smooth solid lines that make it look levels above the Camry. Even something as simple as the solid front/rear bumper of ES in comparison to slap-on Camry's makes a world of difference. As far as ride and interior comfort, it doesn't even come close. I even read somewhere (maybe even on this forum) a comparison between ES350 and Avalon, and conclusion was all the way in favor of ES350...

Just can't wait until mine will arrive, 3 weeks is a very long time
Old 06-27-06, 12:21 PM
PaJaHa1
Pole Position

mmmm look at that tungsten... thanks for re-affirming my choice!
Old 06-27-06, 12:37 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PaJaHa1
mmmm look at that tungsten... thanks for re-affirming my choice!
Mine too I'm very happy I got to switch from that MSM to Tungsten!!! BTW, if you go to www.lexus.com and look into ES gallery, they have a very cool wallpaper with Tungsten on black (below is a small version of it). I just set it as a background on my laptop!!!

Old 06-27-06, 01:14 PM
PaJaHa1
Pole Position

already did
Old 06-27-06, 01:16 PM
dp5
Driver

I strongly considered the M, also, and it is a GREAT car.

Ultimately, I stayed with Lexus because I had such an enjoyable experience with my first one. Lexus reliability can't be beat and I place a high value on my car being a hassle free experience.

Quick Reply: Comparing M35 and ES350 Help.