ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Leather seats and baby-on-board

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-06, 12:53 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Leather seats and baby-on-board

Leather seat in the back is perforated, right? Well, I have a 15-month old daughter and the car seat will be going in the back. So, what would happen if she spills her drink or food? Could it get clogged and permanently damaged? Should I put a cover on a back seat to prevent this? What can other Lexus "daddies" recommend me?
Old 06-27-06, 01:23 PM
dp5
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The back seats are perforated but not ventilated. My dealer told me that they are perforated to match the front seats and provide continuity in the appearance.

I guess some spilled drinks/food from a child could work there way in there but it shouldn't damage to anything.
Old 06-27-06, 03:18 PM
richbutler
Rookie

While in my car, I only allow water that's in a spill proof container and cherios for my 2 year old daughter. It has worked well. I was more concerned about the car seat damaging the really soft leather in my ultra package. I use a car seat liner to prevent the car seat from scratching or indenting the leather.
Old 06-27-06, 07:03 PM
BN06
Rookie

They have seat covers specifically for car seat locations. Do a google search (I would post a link but I don't know if that breaks rules for advertising). I had the same concern on my new IS. I'm sure you will find one that suits your vehicle and tastes.
Old 06-28-06, 08:54 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BN06
They have seat covers specifically for car seat locations. Do a google search (I would post a link but I don't know if that breaks rules for advertising). I had the same concern on my new IS. I'm sure you will find one that suits your vehicle and tastes.
Thanks, I will look for that. BTW, I send you a PM so you can reply back with a link. I don't think it would be any harm to post a link here anyway. Cause, all of my searches for car seat and baby seat come up with covers for baby seat, nothing for a car
Old 06-28-06, 09:46 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by twister
Thanks, I will look for that. BTW, I send you a PM so you can reply back with a link. I don't think it would be any harm to post a link here anyway. Cause, all of my searches for car seat and baby seat come up with covers for baby seat, nothing for a car
Look here> http://cnet.bizrate.com/carseats/pro...pholstery.html

Alan
Old 06-28-06, 10:00 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by amf1932
Alan, thank you very much!!! This would be perfect!!!
Old 06-28-06, 10:16 AM
BN06
Rookie

Originally Posted by twister
Thanks Alan for posting the link. I was not trying to be evasive I'm just new to this forum. Ulitmately that link gets you the same info I was referring to, so its all good. Been busy or I would have replied sooner. Good day all.

B
Old 06-28-06, 10:20 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks guys......just ask me because I'm a grandpa with a new car, with light upholstery......if you get my drift. hehe
Old 06-28-06, 01:27 PM
psp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.rightstart.com/global/sto...item~3712.html

and don't forget the seat back protector for thoser little scuff mark feet!!
Old 07-12-06, 10:19 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by psp
http://www.rightstart.com/global/sto...item~3712.html

and don't forget the seat back protector for thoser little scuff mark feet!!
Just ordered both, grip-it-mat and seat-back-protector. Do you use that grip-it-mat yourself? Is it grey or clear? Cause I will have a black interior and my baby's car seat is black/darkgrey, so I am curious how is it going to match with interior. Thanks!
Old 08-14-06, 06:28 AM
cc3088
Driver School Candidate

Default Rear air bags with baby on board

Is it advised to disconnect the rear air bag when you have a baby (3 mos now) in a car seat behind you? My wife and I are new grandparents and my daughter won't let her ride with us until we do! I can understand with the front seat air bag, but am unsure about the rear. Any thoughts/advise? Also...assuming it is supposed to be disconnected, how does one go about doing this?
Old 08-14-06, 09:50 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

I was reassured by my dealer rear-side airbags are similar to a curtain airbags and meet all the safety standards for a baby seat. And even if your daughter has some doubts about it, you should install your car seat base (I assume you are using it cause is 3 mo. baby) in the middle of the back seat. I actually did that with my 16 month old, except the reason was the sunlights bothering her from windows. It also worked out nicely since I can have 2 people sitting in the back on both sides of the seat. Just make sure you're using that grip-it-mat...
Old 08-14-06, 11:33 AM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Ok just got off of the phone with Steve at the Lexus Headquarters tech depatment. He assured me that the side airbags are in accordance with the safety compatibility standards of child carseats, and that the airbag deployment will not negatively affect the child passenger sitting next to the window. He also states that there is no middle seat anchor partition, so the ES350 is technically not designed to have child seat installed in the middle, although it is possible. He confirms that if all instructions were followed according to the manual, the rear airbags should protect the passenger regardless of size and weight. As you can see inside the car, the curtain airbags come down protecting the head, while the side airbags come out to protect torso. The carseat is basically the size of an adult's torso, so the side airbag will pad the impact against the car seat, thus the child should be safe from the airbag. Does this make sense? Steve indicated that the rear side airbags cannot be disabled by dealerships because of the liability involved.
Old 08-14-06, 12:27 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Both seats in the back have two sets of LATCH anchors. So, for the middle positioning you just connect to the one of the anchors from each side. The spacing between all 4 latches is almost the same so it works out really good! And, you also have 3 back latches as well to anchor the top of the car seat. That middle top latch there specifically for a middle seat installation, so I don't know why they told you it was not designed for that?

Quick Reply: Leather seats and baby-on-board