few questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-06, 02:18 PM
cocopops
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default few questions

Hey all

As some of you already knew, I just got my Lexus a week ago. Anyway, I wanna ask a few questions.

1. What's the current law in state of CA (LA county) on the car plate for the front bumper? I notice most cars have installed plates on the front but is that required by law? Won't want to drill some holes into that beautiful front bumper.

2. I am planning to install a clear bra soon. Is it recommended to go and have the car washed and waxed first? I know that after the clear bra is installed, you shouldn't have the car washed for at least 24 hrs. Also, with the intention to install the clear bra over the front bumper, should I do it before I get my car plate frame installed or after? I have been following some of the discussions on the clear bra and I probably will go with Aerotect for it, since they are also not too far from my area. Any idea on pricing? Also, which parts do people usually install the clear bra (I know for sure the front bumper, parts of the hood, but what else)??

3. How do you know if your garage opener is off a rolling code? Mine is a Liftmaster, installed around 1998. Trying to program the homelink.

4. Last but not least, Window tinting question. I have not really kept myself updated on the tinting law in CA. The last time I tint a car was more than 8 years ago. Don't know if the law has changed or anything. Can someone share with me whats the law on tinting? I only knew the front windows are probably a no-no in regards to tinting, but I was thinking of maybe getting a 50% tint on the front and 25-30% tint on the rear windows and back window.

Thanks all. This forum has been useful in my research before getting the car. Now, I wanna do the necessary things to protect this beautiful car.

Regards
cocopops
Old 07-03-06, 02:57 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

State Laws for tinting: http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/

You guys are lucky in CA, front window can be tinted with 70% light allowance!!!
Old 07-03-06, 06:02 PM
dreyfus
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I can't help you with CA law, but your Liftmaster is probably a rolling code (as my Liftmaster is).

First try to program using the remote - hold the Homelink and remote buttons down until the Homelink light goes from a slow blink to a fast blink.

If the car's Homelink button works at this point you're done.

If the car's Homelink button doesn't work then you have the rolling transmitter and will have to press the training button on the garage door opener and then the Homelink button twice. Don't hold the training button down or you'll erase all the codes and will have to retrain all your transmitters (been there, done that).

Good luck!

Last edited by dreyfus; 07-03-06 at 07:43 PM.
Old 07-03-06, 06:37 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

1) CA law states that it is mandatory to have a front license plate. Do people follow this law all the time? No. Are you willing to risk being pulled over for it? That's up to you.

2) Have the car clean when you get the clear bra installed. The installers will still clean your car to make the adhesive stay on the paint. In fact, it's better not to detail your car before installing a clear bra as the cleaning/detailing chemicals/products may affect the adhesive for the clear bra.

3) If your garage opener remote cannot be used to set up Homelink, it most likely has a rolling code. The garage opener unit will have a "reset" button, and if you press it and then press one of the Homelink buttons twice, it will be set up faster than using the garage opener remote.

4) Technically, you cannot have any tint film adhered on the front windows. It is legal though for a manufacturer to sell a car with 35% tint-colored glass (not tint film adhered to the car). Most manufacturers do not add tint film to the front windows but do add UV protection with low-grade tint color in the glass. Do people follow this law all the time? No. Are you willing to risk being pulled over for it? That's up to you.
Old 07-03-06, 11:20 PM
cocopops
Pole Position

Wow. Thanks Phillip and all the others for the exceptional details. In my previous car, I did have a front license plate installed. That's because the frame has already been installed. Now, my dealer will also install the frame for me at anytime (didn't do it on the day I purchased as its a Sunday). I won't probably do any detailing on the car other than just a regular car wash. I keep my car parked in a garaged at home and usually won't expose the car in the sunlight when I am at work (we have a parking structure here). Thank God that I have been able to keep it clean when its outside. Hmm, from the link that twister posted, its said that a 70% tint is allowed for the front side windows. I will probably do the garage door opener this weekend as a project. Thank you all againf or the replies and please keep them coming.
Old 07-04-06, 07:48 AM
jeffofla
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cocopops
1. What's the current law in state of CA (LA county) on the car plate for the front bumper? I notice most cars have installed plates on the front but is that required by law? Won't want to drill some holes into that beautiful front bumper.
I have been ticketed twice for not having a front license plate here in California. I can tell you it is required. But like you, they did not install it at my So Cal dealer. I actually had to ask them to do it. Not that I like the way it looks, but because it is required. I did put a thin black frame on the front instead and it looks much better than the dealer frame. The dealer frame still remains on the back.
Old 07-04-06, 09:36 AM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jeffofla
I have been ticketed twice for not having a front license plate here in California. I can tell you it is required. But like you, they did not install it at my So Cal dealer. I actually had to ask them to do it. Not that I like the way it looks, but because it is required. I did put a thin black frame on the front instead and it looks much better than the dealer frame. The dealer frame still remains on the back.
I positively DESPISE any "dealer frames" or any other advertising for that matter on my car. I have told dealerships on more than one occassion that I don't want any advertising or dealership badging on my car whatsoever and they have consistently honored my requests.

I figure I'm not paying (or leasing) to advertise the dealership.

If they want me to, they can submit a proposal and make me an offer. Knock $100/month off the lease price and I'll be happy to put their license plate holder on my car.

Otherwise...FORGET IT!!!!
Old 07-04-06, 05:08 PM
cocopops
Pole Position

Yeah. I am taking off the dealer plate when my license plate come out from DMV. I never really do any advertising for the dealers. Of course, I will tell people which dealer I got the vehicle from if personally asked. By the way, is it better to install the clear bra first before installing the front license plate frame or the other way round?

Hope all CL members enjoy a happy July 4th.