ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

What needs to be improved

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-06 | 11:14 PM
lex2007
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation What needs to be improved

I have a 2007 ES350 ultra Lux with all options except adaptive cruise control. I have had the car for two months. Below is my list of things that need improvement on the ES350.

1.Road Noise--I was surprised at how much I heard the road.
2.Wind Noise--above 60mph the wind noise near A-pillar or outside mirror. This is mentioned in other parts of this forum. I would suggest that lexus use laminate glass for the side windows. I noticed in the Buick Lucerne that the laminate glass blocks out a jack hammer and 50 mph winds. Whereas the ES350, I hear a semi truck passing as if it was coming thru the car.
3.Ability to watch movies without the parking brake being depressed.
4.Ability to use NAV while moving.
5.Change ventilated seats to air conditioned seats. Ideally, cool air from the AC versus the cabin.
6.Give the Mark Levinson more power in the subwoofer. The subwoofer tends to flap, distort or lose control even at moderate volumes.
7.Lower the cost for the XM module. Dealer charged $600 to add the module--which includes labor. A reasonable cost would be around $200.
8. Add back in telematics, Lexus link/Onstar. This could enable a more comprehensive map system the just the regions on a DVD. I would suggest moving to a hard drive vs. a DVD, so more data can be stored. May even enable web surfing, check email, etc.
9.The first aid kit in the truck does not stay in posiiton and continues to come lose.
10.Built in storage for cell phone/pda/mp3 player. Currently, I use the cup holder area for cell phone, and storage compartment for other devices, but akward to pull out mp3 player.
11.Increase the width of the rear view mirror to 19inches. This will eliminate blind spots and allow the driver to see 180 degrees behind them.
12. Better ultrasonic parking sensors. The current sensors will allow you to run into a pole since it falls between two sensors. Also, it does not detect concrete parking stops--these are about six inches in height and run the width of the parking space. Some parking stops are too high and you end up scraping the lower air damn.
12.5 Ultrasonic parking sensors on front and rear quarter panels to let you know if you are coming to close to a pole, car, etc.
13.A better way to mount the front license plate--so as not to drill holes in bumper or destroy the sleek look.
14.Move the microphone from the center of the car to just in front of the driver. I have found if I do not project my voice or turn my head to the microphone that my voice cuts out to the other person on the other end of my call.
15.Have a smaller key FOB. Currently, it is about 3inches long, 1.5inch wide and half inch thick. I would rather have the key like the 330. The keyless key FOB should be about half the current size or smaller.
16.Remote Start as an option
17.Ability to set all the personalized settings from the NAV screen vs. at the dealer.
18.Ability to program unique settings to each key fob. Similar to Cadillac. This includes settings for radio, AC, NAV, seat settings, steering wheel, wipers, lights, and all the other personalized settings.

Feel free to list other areas of improvement for the car.
Old 07-05-06 | 05:32 AM
PaJaHa1
Pole Position

overall not a very good review of the car
Old 07-05-06 | 07:07 AM
psp
Pole Position

I agree with the assessment by Lex2007. I wonder how many of these points represent compromises to keep the base price down?

I still like the car and would recommend it.

With regard to number 10, I have been using the small utility storage to the left of the steering wheel for the cell phone with satisfactory results.

Last edited by psp; 07-05-06 at 07:21 AM.
Old 07-05-06 | 07:52 AM
PaJaHa1
Pole Position

IMO, it seems like some items are cost-saving measures taken by Lexus (5, 12, 18) - little things that could end up boosting the MSRP on the car, while others are safety-related (3, 4). We can't all have our own Batmobile where everything is customized exactly how we want it (at least not yet). I figure that as long as there are no major reliability issues, I could adapt to any annoying inconveniences the car may contain. Of course, I haven't gotten mine yet.
Old 07-05-06 | 08:16 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PaJaHa1
overall not a very good review of the car
Hang on in there, this is not really a review. Road/wind noise? Depending what was your previous car or what other *more* expensive luxury vehicle have you driven or tested. Noise is a relative term, and I'm not gonna bore anybody with my technical explanations because I'm actually an engineer Don't know about CA, but in NJ you need to hear loud and clear police/ambulance coming from any side from far away. I found ES350 to be super quiet in comparison to my 1998 Altima SE, although it still let me hear what is going on outside in the traffic. Maybe for a long highway rides you want more quietness, but than maybe you don't want to get to comfy in order to stay awake? Ventilated perforated leather seat versus any clothe or solid rough sticky-leather seats - could be a big improvement for others. NAV system for someone who doesn't have a need for it and considers it a 2k+ waste, could be irrelevant. Remote start option - a few companies already working on that, and I'm sure it will cost less than an option from a dealership. Storage, parking, NAV menu access - all nice to have, but its NOT a must to fully enjoy the car. Again, its a relative comparison to what is your expectations. I think for the price (my $35k for Premium w/additional options package in NJ), its the best overall value in every aspect of performance, luxury, safety, reliability, and more. Drilling front bumper for a license plate - yeah, that is painful. But its a law...

Lex2007 list is very informative from his point of view, and I really appreciate you sharing it here with us. But, you can always look at it as either glass half full or half empty or just enough to satisfy your OWN craving
Old 07-05-06 | 09:16 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Well, somebody's gonna tell us what's wrong instead of all praises hehe. Besides, what twister said is right. It'll depend on which car you're coming from.

With regards to 15, the SmartAccess fob is already smaller compared to the one I'm carrying right now. Mine's as big as the old gen 4 Camry's keyless fob and it's boxy. The ES has a much nicer designed fob.
Old 07-05-06 | 09:39 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Picky, picky, picky.......That's all that lex2007's post was all about! In my estimation it sure sounded like HIS personal opinion, and nothing more. Sure, everybody is entitled to their opinions, but when everything on his list sounded soooo negative I take this critic with a grain of salt. My car has ALL the options as his, but in no way do I consider anything on his long list to detract from my enjoyment of this car.
Oh yeah, I would like to add that a bird ****** on my hood and this was a terrible distraction.

Alan
Old 07-05-06 | 10:18 AM
dreyfus
Racer

Now, now, I don't think LEX2007 was dissing the car - just listing items that would make the car even more perfect (in his opinion).

I love my ES350, but agree with several of the improvement suggestions. One area for improvement that I'm going to attempt to rectify myself is that the overhead console is not illuminated. Finding the Homelink button (or even the sunroof button) is difficult at night. My belief is that if you're going to put a button/switch on a car it should be illuminated at night.

To their credit, the mirror control and other switches to the left of the steering wheel are illuminated. All of the cars I've previously owned left them dark.
Old 07-05-06 | 04:02 PM
redman
Driver School Candidate

Hi All!

I too, did not take offense to (Lex2007's) list of recommended improvements to our ES350's. And, of course they are his own opinion. As for us, we've had our car for several weeks now, we LOVE it, and my list (so far) isn't nearly so long.

As a Lexus "only" driver since 1990, the latter two being LS400's, I don't find our new ES350 "Incredibly Smooth and Quiet" either. Additionally, as we have the Premium Plus package, I can't really relate to several of the writer's desired tech changes. However, thusfar my first request would be for improved/innovative storage solutions, e.g., neat, well designed places to put stuff. And, having the ability to make and adjust personalized settings (on your own) would be a nice improvement as well.

On the other hand, if I were asked to identify "ONE" item only that we don't have, it would be superior finishes that could better withstand the constant nicks and scratches our cars experience on a day-to-day basis. Now that I'd pay a little more for!

Be well - The Redman
Old 07-05-06 | 07:49 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Interesting read.
Oddly enough items 3, 5, 7, 9, 10, 11 and 13 apply to most any car.
Especially the first aid kit not sticking, same kit doesn't stick in my 2002 ES either.

steviej
Old 07-06-06 | 03:22 AM
cleblanc
Rookie

Originally Posted by dreyfus
Now, now, I don't think LEX2007 was dissing the car - just listing items that would make the car even more perfect (in his opinion).

I love my ES350, but agree with several of the improvement suggestions. One area for improvement that I'm going to attempt to rectify myself is that the overhead console is not illuminated. Finding the Homelink button (or even the sunroof button) is difficult at night. My belief is that if you're going to put a button/switch on a car it should be illuminated at night.

To their credit, the mirror control and other switches to the left of the steering wheel are illuminated. All of the cars I've previously owned left them dark.
I agree - he wasn't criticizing the car at all - merely stating a list of wish items that would make the car even more perfect.
Although I love my ES350, it is not perfect. I totally agree with more customizable options since you can't please everyone. People should be able to change settings the way they want - kind of like seat adjustments. And we definitely should not have to hack into the nav wiring to try to get features that should be working (MP3 details screen).
Old 07-06-06 | 12:03 PM
wizhill
Driver School Candidate

Personally, I'd like a voice-activated toaster / waffle maker, but only if it cooks while the car is in motion.

Seriously, I agree with a lot of his criticisms, including the subwoofer. For the cost of the ML system it should handle low frequencies better. I've heard the flapping sound he describes, and I think it is most likely the voice-coil being pushed beyond the designed excursion - this could be solved with a longer throw woofer, which might mean a $10 increase in price, or reducing the power on the sub. I haven't seen the wiring diagram for the ML, but if the sub is actually fed discretely you could put a high pass filter on the input side of it's channel on the amplifier. Setting it at about 30hz with a 18db / octave roll would prevent much of the 20hz - 30hz signals from getting through to the woofer. You'd notice a slight difference in bass, but it might help the overall problem.
Old 07-06-06 | 08:17 PM
lex2007
Driver School Candidate

Default Feedback

It was not my orginal intention to be negative about the car. It was to be constructive. I really like the car. Compared to what else is out there, I feel I would need to move up to a $60K+ vehicle. However, I believe the Lexus motto is "The Pursuit of Perfection", I was just trying to help them get there.lol.
Old 07-06-06 | 08:46 PM
jeffofla
Pole Position

Don't sweat it. I actually agree with most of what you said, but still am glad I made the purchase on my 2007. For example, I'm really irritated that the high beams on the headlights are still halogen. They should be HID!

But overall, dollar-for-dollar, this car still has more bells and whistles than the MB E350 I was looking at previously.

Jeff
Old 07-06-06 | 09:12 PM
thj
Driver School Candidate

Default radio turns off too soon

In my previous car, the radio stayed on after the car was turned off, until the door was opened. I miss that. It seems I always want to listen to a CD or the radio for another minute, but I want to turn off the car the second I'm in the garage. I'm surprised the ES 350 doesn't do that.

Quick Reply: What needs to be improved