Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the kind words Redman
Old 07-13-06, 09:26 AM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Default thats cool man

hey Pajaha, youre way ahead of the game for getting such a nice car at a young age. I'm 6 years older than you with wife and kid. My priorities are a bit different (business school -> get new job -> buy house -> then Lexus), but we eventually end up in same spot.

That's cool you are looking at the extra $$ as something that could be used elsewhere because I too feel the NAV is just a cool novelty (i have a GPS on my laptop already and i use it in the car all the time....so it's a 15" screen with map/voice directions).

Bottomline: i think we all get a lexus for a number of reasons. I think the extra $$ premium for the car is worth it because the quality is unsurpassed.
Old 07-13-06, 11:19 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

@ Kaius88: you are freaking me out First you considered and got MSM color which was my original choice (until I switched it to Tungsten), than you tell us you have a Silver 2005 Highlander (I bought the same one for my wife right before our daughter was born), and now it turned out you are of exactly the same age with a baby, wife, house LOL!!! Small world!!! At least since you mentioned Busines School, you are not in Optical Telecom business like I'm

@ PaJaHa1: You are definitely on a right track my friend. Be wise with your spending, but also keep in mind to treat/spoil yourself. When you get a house/mortgage, get married/wedding, have family expenses, baby, etc. - priorities shift very quickly. Be smart about your savings, but also remember that we live once and you don't want to look back and regret missing all the fun when you were 25. Again, when you married with a baby and a house mortage - lifestyle will change unless you have a rich parents (not in our case, since everything on my and my wife's shoulders). And, with a right balance of savings and having a life, I'm buying this ES350 for cash...

@ PsychDoc: I admire your passion and dedication to ES350, but not everybody share your *passion* about NAV. I actually have learned a lot about the NAV features and advantages from all of your post - honestly, they were very educational. But, I still satisfied with my decision to order Premium package w/Additional options without NAV. I said it before and will repeat it again, it has to do a lot with your lifestyle (and in a future when lifestyle going to change, I will get a new car with NAV ). For someone, as myself, who is looking at a car as a comfortable enjoyable commute between home and work, NAV system is not necessary when I know the road with my eyes closed, and know every short cut and food place along side of it. With a baby at home and more planned in a near future, we already have Highlander SUV without NAV which we always take for traveling. So, NAV system should be evaluated on individual cases of necessity - not yelling that its a MUST and you are an IDIOT who is going to regret this for the rest of your life. I bought my car for cash and planning to own it for a long time. So, it will not be too much of an advantage as a resale value either because in 8-9 years this NAV system is going to be ancient and outdated. In my current situation, I would prefer a $500 top of the line TomTom which could be moved between cars and taken as a portable companion when outside of the car. But, most likely in our future car (definitely as a replacement for SUV) we will get NAV. Just right now, its a waste of money which could be used to pay a year worth of gasoline!!!
Old 07-13-06, 11:31 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The main reason for getting the built in NAV system is because it probably won't be stolen as opposed to using a portable which you have to either hide or take it with you when you leave your car parked. I have had my previous cars broken into for lesser things then a GPS system.
I have found the NAV extremely helpful when traveling to unknown areas. It reduced the stess and strain of looking for road signs, especially at night. I've had this option in my last 2 Lexus' and I'll never be without it again.

Alan
Old 07-13-06, 11:55 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Also a good point, something I will have to consider when we go to Brighton Beach in Brooklyn If I have a portable NAV with me, it will be hidden out-of-sight!!!
Old 07-13-06, 12:06 PM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

***@ PsychDoc: I admire your passion and dedication to ES350, but not everybody share your *passion* about NAV. I actually have learned a lot about the NAV features and advantages from all of your post - honestly, they were very educational. But, I still satisfied with my decision to order Premium package w/Additional options without NAV. I said it before and will repeat it again, it has to do a lot with your lifestyle (and in a future when lifestyle going to change, I will get a new car with NAV ). For someone, as myself, who is looking at a car as a comfortable enjoyable commute between home and work, NAV system is not necessary when I know the road with my eyes closed, and know every short cut and food place along side of it. With a baby at home and more planned in a near future, we already have Highlander SUV without NAV which we always take for traveling. So, NAV system should be evaluated on individual cases of necessity - not yelling that its a MUST and you are an IDIOT who is going to regret this for the rest of your life. I bought my car for cash and planning to own it for a long time. So, it will not be too much of an advantage as a resale value either because in 8-9 years this NAV system is going to be ancient and outdated. In my current situation, I would prefer a $500 top of the line TomTom which could be moved between cars and taken as a portable companion when outside of the car. But, most likely in our future car (definitely as a replacement for SUV) we will get NAV. Just right now, its a waste of money which could be used to pay a year worth of gasoline!!!***

If you studiously and solely use your car only for commuting and nothing else then perhaps I would agree with you. If you use your vehicle for day trips and to explore areas within a day's drive from where you live or certainly for any road trips I continue to believe the addition of a $2000 option on a $40k car in essentially incidental and a "must have."

And, as I've said before, a nav system does so much more than just take you to and from places. It is capable of letting you know what's around, where there are movie theaters, different ethnic restaurants, cultural sites, parks, etc., etc.

To each their own but I'll tell you I would rather have a well equipped Camry with a nav than a Lexus without one. Wouldn't even be a question in my mind if presented with that choice. I can assure you that I'll never own another vehicle without a nav system. Funny thing is I've never heard a negative word from anyone who's bought a car with one and I've heard plenty of buyers remorse from people I know who opted not to and now wish they did.
Old 07-13-06, 12:12 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Default Twister you Bizzaro

Twister, you must be bizzaro Kaius88 of the east coast ! Dang the similarities. What if I told you I worked for the optical telecom division of AT&T? Just kidding. I'm an accountant for a real estate company......no optical telecom techology here hahah. My daughter is turning 2 next monday, and indeed we bought our 2005 silver Highlander for the baby. I'm sure lexus owners fit a certain demographics or profile.
Old 07-13-06, 12:19 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Default Nav

I guess for me...I'd like to have a NAV, but that $2000 extra is somewhat steep. Garmin and TomTom are about $600 and does exactly the same thing. My notebook GPS costs $120 and it goes on a 15" screen and does really great job. So i dont think i'll regret not putting one in because there are alternatives available all the time. I guess if i were a real estate broker and run around all day, it's a must-have. So it all depends...
Old 07-13-06, 12:46 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

@ PsychDoc: my Lexus salesperson told a similar thing, after having a car with NAV you will never go back to the one without. Since I haven't experienced luxury of NAV yet and my car is a little over $35k - I will sleep OK at night knowing only in-theory what I'm missing But, I really made up my mind for the next car and NAV going to be in. Beside, probably by the time I'm ready to buy our next new car, NAV going to be a standard option in every car. God only knows how advance it will get in a few years (new RAZRs have NAV GPS now!!!!)

@ Kaius88: You almost nailed it on the head, I do work at Bell Labs of Lucent Technologies Now, to take it into a real Seinfeld-bizzaro world, my daughter's birthday is going to be ALSO next Monday (17th, she is turning 16 month!!!). And to continue with this bizzaro chain, my wife is an accountant And, if you will tell me your daughter's name is Hannah (like mine), than I just found my twin-brother-from-another-mother LOL!!! BTW, I think that new ES350 Lexus owner might fit into that category, because I was not crazy at all about ES300/330 and if ES350 wouldn't be released now, I probably would ended up with Acura TL
Old 07-13-06, 01:01 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by twister
Also a good point, something I will have to consider when we go to Brighton Beach in Brooklyn If I have a portable NAV with me, it will be hidden out-of-sight!!!
Then they'll break into your trunk. hehe
Old 07-13-06, 02:40 PM
ikey78
Driver

Originally Posted by Kaius88
My dealership has a stockpile of Tunsten Pearls, but no Amber Pearls. She says Amber Pearls are very limited in numbers. All the Granite Micas only have black interiors....no greys interiors coming in this summer. The MGMs come in like 4 at a time, and they are snapped up before arrival. As for all the other colors, I never asked. So the supply is very region specific. Hope yall get your Tunsten Pearl soon. It's very pretty silver. My 2005 Highlander's color is close to it.
What color is "MGM"? Did you mean SGM or MSM?
Old 07-13-06, 03:23 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Default If

If the SGM and the MSM had a kid, it would be the MGM . No...i meant to type MSM, which is the one I have.

Twister: My daughter's name also has 2 syllables: Ella. I got a new carseat for her to fit into this car. The dealership advised us to put the seat in the middle because of the rear side airbags. It's a little harder to install in the middle, but whatever makes it safer.... Interesting you work at Lucent. My wife's friend Shuang Yu works there, and has been there for several years. It would be real bizzarro if you knew her. hahaha
Old 07-13-06, 08:08 PM
Redefined
Driver School Candidate

Kaius88 and Twister -

Are you sure you don't need a DNA test?
Old 07-13-06, 08:52 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

LOL!!! This is just another proof that ES350 brings people together!!!

Sorry to the rest of the CL forum readers that this thread got a little off topic. OK, so its a lot off topic, but I hope this soap opera was entertaining to everybody else. I promise it wont happen again.

Now, back to the regularly scheduled program....
Old 07-13-06, 10:05 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by twister
LOL!!! This is just another proof that ES350 brings people together!!!

Sorry to the rest of the CL forum readers that this thread got a little off topic. OK, so its a lot off topic, but I hope this soap opera was entertaining to everybody else. I promise it wont happen again.

Now, back to the regularly scheduled program....
Keep it up........I'm enjoying this more then "The Young and the Restless" LOL

Quick Reply: Moon Shell Mica