ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-06, 02:15 PM
mink92890
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaius88
For $300 it should come with neon signs and stealth capabilities! dang what markup! I was thinking, "something about the butt of this car looks kinda cool.,...but what is it???" I was showing my secretary today the KITT Knight Rider function of the ES350: (Hold down the unlock button of the remote from 10 feet away). All the windows open and the front half of the glass roof slides back. She was like "wow I gotta tell Kanye about this" (she buddies with Kanye West).
HAHA... Kanye Loves Lexuses... So she knows Kanye West... How lucky, his music is just amazing.

Mink92890
Old 07-26-06, 02:51 PM
jtrain73
Driver School Candidate

Default Love the spoiler!

I was undecided between the ES and IS, loved the space in the ES, but liked the sportier look of the IS. I ended up getting the ES with the UL package (nicer wheels) and spoiler to give the ES a bit of a sportier look. I really like the look of the spoiler. My dealer had all the ES's lined up and looking at the rear with & without spoilers made this decision for me easily. To me, the spoiler is a must-have, it just looks too plain without and it isn't a huge, ugly spoiler - it is small and subtle but gives the ES a nice touch on the rear-end.

I think I got hosed on the price of mine though, as my invoice lists it at $895 - but I did well on the price of the car overall, so I'm not too concerned.

Hope to receive the car this weekend (due to arrive at the port on Friday!) - it is a Smokey Granite Mica with Gray Interior, with UL, park-assist and spoiler. Very similar to the original poster's picture - which looks sweet.
Old 07-26-06, 06:24 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Price of the spoiler from Lexus parts is $233.21 and the labor to install it is $210.00.

Total is $ 443.21 plus tax.
Old 07-26-06, 07:26 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaius88
For $300 it should come with neon signs and stealth capabilities! dang what markup! I was thinking, "something about the butt of this car looks kinda cool.,...but what is it???" I was showing my secretary today the KITT Knight Rider function of the ES350: (Hold down the unlock button of the remote from 10 feet away). All the windows open and the front half of the glass roof slides back. She was like "wow I gotta tell Kanye about this" (she buddies with Kanye West).
I"m sure glad you like the spoiler, even though you didn't know you had one for the first while. I'd hate to think what might happen if you decided to take the car back and trade it in for one without a spoiler
Old 07-26-06, 09:24 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Lexucan! LOL Ya know, im glad its one of the extras that i actually like....i mean really like.... this time around its 100% love it or no turning back.
Old 07-27-06, 10:21 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My bizarro-bro, lets continue this conversation in about a year when Lexus will introduce a mid-year update for ES350 with some cosmetic changes and a few more options
Old 07-27-06, 11:27 AM
PaJaHa1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by twister
My bizarro-bro, lets continue this conversation in about a year when Lexus will introduce a mid-year update for ES350 with some cosmetic changes and a few more options
I hate when that happens! I'm thinking mid-cycle they will roll out LED tails and maybe change the rim/tire package. Its hard to imagine any major overhauls- on the last generation the subtle changes between 03 and 05 were definitely an improvement though.
Old 07-29-06, 12:44 PM
cleblanc
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was at the dealer this morning and saw a Ruby Red with the spoiler on the back. It was a $300 factory installed option. The dealer wants $400 to install this. They claim it costs more than to have it done at the port. Is this a fair price? I'm thinking of having it done.
Old 10-22-06, 03:40 PM
ESsearch
Pole Position

Default Spoiler Installation

Just installed the spoiler on my car. I thought I would post my experience for reference if anyone is considering adding one. Maybe this is old news now, but to answer a few questions raised in this thread:

- It does requires five holes to be drilled in the deck lid. There is no
turning back!
- The spoiler also has adhesive strips on the outer ends of the spoiler.
- The instructions explain how to change the setting of the torsion springs
on the trunk lid to account for the additional weight.
- The instructions explain how to treat the drilled holes to minimize any
chance of rust developing there.

I purchased the spoiler from Park Place Lexus on eBay. I paid $209, and he has since reduced the buy it now price to $186 . They also sell the required installation kit which is an additional $42. The installation kit has the directions for the install and a plastic template that is to be taped to the top of the trunk so you can mark where to drill the holes. If you can find a used installation kit for sale they can easily be re-used and you might save a few bucks as well.

Tools required are a 10mm socket, a drill with 1/8" and 10mm" bits, a tool or screwdriver to pry the plastic plugs off the inner trunk lid liner, some 3m auto body sealant, and 2" blue painters tape and some blankets to protect some surfaces.

The entire installation took me about three hours going very slowly to avoid any mistakes or mishaps. I choose not to re-adjust the torsion springs at this point. It does not seem necessary and I did nor want to needlessly disassemble that portion of the trunk. After I try it a while, I may change my mind and re-adjust the springs

If I was ordering a car, I would recommend paying the $299 Lexus charges for the port install. But if you want to post add it and can handle a few tools, the diy method is a bargain (about half) compared to what most dealers will charge you.

Pete
Aquamarine Pearl/Light Gray UL
ML, Nav, PA, Chrome wheels, Spoiler
Old 10-22-06, 04:03 PM
onsknht
Pole Position

Geez... You ES dudes are behind. The SE spoiler on the Camry has them dudes all up in arms, they all want 'em.

Old 10-22-06, 04:18 PM
onsknht
Pole Position

Originally Posted by onsknht
Geez... You ES dudes are behind. The SE spoiler on the Camry has them dudes all up in arms, they all want 'em.
BTW - - That's what is know as a "Bangle Butt."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bangle-butt
Old 10-23-06, 03:29 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

ESsearch--would you mind checking if the paint finish on the spoiler is flawless--i.e., no orange peel of any kind, no matter how noticeable it may be? I ask because the paint finish of the spoiler on my ES (installed prior to delivery) definitely has orange peel; it's not noticeable unless you get to within a foot, but it's there.
Old 10-23-06, 04:28 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by toneman
ESsearch--would you mind checking if the paint finish on the spoiler is flawless--i.e., no orange peel of any kind, no matter how noticeable it may be? I ask because the paint finish of the spoiler on my ES (installed prior to delivery) definitely has orange peel; it's not noticeable unless you get to within a foot, but it's there.
I didnt know the spoiler was painted. I thought it was just colored plastic that matches the car body. Something about painted plastic that gets me nervous. Paint seems to stick on everything except plastic....
Old 10-23-06, 06:05 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Forget about these $300 spoilers and drilling All you need is one of these for $5:

M3 Style Spoiler

Here is one on ES300 (from ES300 forum):

Last edited by twister; 10-23-06 at 08:09 PM.
Old 10-23-06, 07:05 PM
ESsearch
Pole Position

Toneman - I had read your post elsewhere about the paint quality so I carefully checked the finish before (and after) installation. Even in the sun today the finish is as good as the rest of the car. I suggest you talk to your dealer if it is as you describe.

Pete

Quick Reply: spoiler