ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Window tint... How much are you paying?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-06, 06:29 AM
Celibon
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexucan
For cleaning tinted windows, use a non-alcoholic, non-ammonia based cleaner. They are out there. I use Stoners Invisible Glass. It says right on the spray can that it is okay for tinted windows. Before cleaning the tinted windows though, I would wait a good long while to be sure the tint is really well adhered to the glass.... at least a couple of weeks. And even though the cleaner is okay for tint, I usually try to NOT let it get too close to the edges of the window, just as a paranoid precaution.
Thanks, I think I'm going to get myself one of those.
Old 08-03-06, 06:58 AM
Driver School Candidate

Paid $199 plus tax. No idea what the %age is on this tint, but I think it's as dark as is legally allowed in TX.
Attached Thumbnails Window tint... How much are you paying?-picture1.jpg  
Old 08-03-06, 07:09 AM
Driver School Candidate

I like the way this looks from the back - sort of blends with the dark roof.
Attached Thumbnails Window tint... How much are you paying?-picture2.jpg  
Old 08-03-06, 11:49 AM
CaBlonde
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Oooh, very nice. They just called from the tint place. My baby is ready to pick up.

Will post pics soon.
Old 08-03-06, 11:59 AM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CaBlonde
Oooh, very nice. They just called from the tint place. My baby is ready to pick up.

Will post pics soon.
Now THAT will be sharp!

White car, UL glass roof and window tinting.

Awesome.
Old 08-03-06, 02:51 PM
dshahs420
Pole Position

IMO and only MO the 350 is not meant to be tinted. It looks better without the tint. Now you take a car like the Acura TL which looks sportier, that would look sharp. Ever seen a Lexus LS with tints, it just doesnt mix well. No flames just honest opinion.
Old 08-03-06, 03:14 PM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dshahs420
IMO and only MO the 350 is not meant to be tinted. It looks better without the tint. Now you take a car like the Acura TL which looks sportier, that would look sharp. Ever seen a Lexus LS with tints, it just doesnt mix well. No flames just honest opinion.
In general I would agree, however I think the tint works well with the lighter colors like Tungston and white.

On the darker colors I absolutely agree.

In general I think any "customization" on a car like a Lexus looks cheap and tacky. Not so with window tinting on the lighter ES colors though.
Old 08-03-06, 08:00 PM
cocopops
Pole Position

I am probably going to get my tint towards the end of summer or after that. I don't know if it is really substantial but the tinting business slows down after the summer and hopefully I could get a good discount.
Old 08-03-06, 08:14 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexucan
CAD$300 if you are lucky.

Depends on the weather. 2-3 days in warm weather, 5-6 days in cold weather.
And I had no problems with washing the car during this time. Just don't hose down the inside of the car.
For cleaning tinted windows, use a non-alcoholic, non-ammonia based cleaner. They are out there. I use Stoners Invisible Glass. It says right on the spray can that it is okay for tinted windows. Before cleaning the tinted windows though, I would wait a good long while to be sure the tint is really well adhered to the glass.... at least a couple of weeks. And even though the cleaner is okay for tint, I usually try to NOT let it get too close to the edges of the window, just as a paranoid precaution.

wait dont they tint window from the inside? if so how would washing your car affect the window, unless you are cleaning the inside also? I worry about tinting because my daughter likes to scratch and kick the window with her sneakers. i think that might scratch the film no?
Old 08-03-06, 08:19 PM
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dshahs420
I never would have considered tint were it not for the fact I just moved to TX and the heat is just horrendous. The darker windows make a substantial difference to the heat in the car after it has been parked for a while. I had been driving an untinted Saab for the past few months and it was just murder getting into that at the end of the work day. And, luckily, I am very pleased with the was the tint looks on the 350.
Old 08-03-06, 08:26 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i think that might scratch the film no?
Yes, it could definitely scratch the film. Case in point: On a previous car that was tinted I had a paper carton that I was transporting, in the back seat. I didn't realize that it was leaning against the tint film. When I arrived at my destination I saw that the rubbing carton made an ugly rub mark on the film. Every time I looked at this mark it annoyed the hell out of me, until I got it replaced. No more tinting for me.....it's much too delicate, and I don't need this aggravation. I can deal with the few days of intense weather conditions......after all, I have a fabulous air conditioning system in this car and also ventilated seats. It cools my car in a jiffy.

Last edited by amf1932; 08-03-06 at 08:35 PM.
Old 08-04-06, 03:16 AM
CaBlonde
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

At first I was doing it basically for the looks but I noticed when I got in the car to drive home home, it toned down the brightness in the car (I have light grey interior). There was also a significant difference in how cool it was in the car. The sun was blazing through the window but I could not feel it. I guess it is like seeking some shade on a hot day. Except I have air conditioning and ventilated seats in that shade......and all the other bells and whistles.
Old 08-04-06, 07:55 AM
Redefined
Driver School Candidate

Tinted windows prolong the wear of leather, wood, and color of the interior overtime cause by sun rays. It's a very small investment protecting a much bigger investment. It's important that the tinter use film(s) which gives lifetime warranty on bubbles and discoloring.

And, tinted windows looked great with Amber Pearl.

Last edited by Redefined; 08-04-06 at 08:00 AM.
Old 08-04-06, 11:17 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Scratched tint is always a result of poor installation. In my previous car, I had windows tinted for 8 years since I bought it brand new and just sold it a few weeks ago. It was done with such a high quality that you couldn't even tell it was a tint, looked like a factory dark glass. You really have to find out how long the place been in business and about lifetime warranty. Typical price for 4-side and 1-rear is about $200. Bargain shopping for tint windows will result in poor work quality and cheap material. If one decides to tint their windows, its only a small fraction of the price paid for the car, so saving extra $30-$50 could cause you lots of headaches in the near future when it start to peel and to bubble.

I will tint mine very soon as well. Just too bad that I'm in Jersey, and no front window tint is allowed. I will still tint it, but its going to be a very light tint all around so driver is still visible behind the window....
Old 08-04-06, 02:35 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tinted windows prolong the wear of leather, wood, and color of the interior overtime cause by sun rays.
Actually, what causes deterioration of the leather, wood, and color of the interior is the sun's UV radiation, but the Lexus window glass has UV absorption filtering built in, so tinting is really not helping that much to prolong the life of these components.

Quick Reply: Window tint... How much are you paying?