ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Can't get bluetooth to work. any ideas??

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-06, 07:16 PM
coleco
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't get bluetooth to work. any ideas??

Hey all,

Got a new 350ES Saturday. The salesman tried to get my phone to work with the bluetooth. It is on the list of acceptable phones (motorola V710). He could not get the car to recognize a name. It kept saying "pardon" over and over when I was stating a name for the phone. I was wondering if there was a trick to this. The salesman thought perhaps the microphone was broken or something because he never had that problem before in other cars. I should also point out that the car was technically used. someone bought it in june, drove it for 1000 miles and traded it in for something else. I got a carfax report later that night just to confirm it was bought previously and not a demo or something. I am not sure if something has to be reset for example if the original driver used the bluetooth system.

Soooo... any ideas on how to get the car to hear my voice or to determine if the mic is even working??

Thanks for any thoughts.
Old 08-01-06, 10:29 PM
psp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In reading your post I think there may be a misunderstanding. It is not like a bluetooth headset. In order to get the voice command to dial a particular person it must be programmed into the cars system. I have never done it. You can voice dial by number through the speech recognition system. You can also speed dial. The major part of the bluetooth in the Lex is that you do not have to hold the phone to your ear while driving. You can hear it through the left front speaker and speak through the microphone in the center of the upper console. If you dial a call on your phone and you can hear it on the cars audio system then you have it right.

Msg me if you want more detail.
Old 08-02-06, 06:28 AM
coleco
Rookie

Thanks for the reply. I have a basic understanding of bluetooth having used several of the motorola and logitech headphones in the past. I have had no issues with pairing the phone and headsets previously. What I am having a problem with now is pairing my phone to the lexus bluetooth. In the setup sequence it wants me to name the phone. Whatever I said is not understood and it keeps saying "pardon" over and over and I am not sure if there is a defective microphone or some other trick is necessary in order for me to name the phone. I may have to bring it back to the dealership to have them look at it. .
Old 08-02-06, 10:08 AM
Macklin
Advanced

I can pretty much expect to hear "pardon" if I try using the voice commands while the AC is cranking.
Old 08-02-06, 02:46 PM
coleco
Rookie

ah.. good thought. I had turned the AC down almost all the way but I will try it completely off. Thanks for the idea.
Old 08-02-06, 06:55 PM
psp
Pole Position

I did not have to "name" my phone. It just detected it when I put the phone in pairing mode and the car in setup mode. I did not have to verbally name the phone to my recollection.
Old 08-02-06, 07:26 PM
coleco
Rookie

Maybe that is my problem. How do you actually enter setup mode? When I push the button on the steering wheel it gives a little speech and welcomes you to the lexus bluetooth system and goes right into name your phone. - asking me to name the phone. I hear a beep, it says listening, and then says pardon over and over. Is there a way to skip this step and just try top pair it?
Old 08-03-06, 05:48 AM
PaJaHa1
Pole Position

Just be patient. After the first time you pair your phone, you won't have to go through the speech anymore. Your phone should automatically link as soon as you start the car, provided the phone's bluetooth is powered on. The speech only takes a minute, and you will need to obtain the passcode that the voice will give you and will display in your car.

On the lexus website, there are detailed linking instructions that can be tailored to your specific phone and carrier.
Old 08-03-06, 06:51 AM
coleco
Rookie

yea, I hear what you are all saying but the problem is it wont pair. I have not had this problem with other devices so I am inclined to think there is a problem with the microphone or something in the Lexus. In the pairing sequence it initially asks me for the name of my phone but doesnt understand what I am saying - I am guessing this is stopping the rest of the pairing sequence.
I should also mention, if I didnt already, that the salesman indicated there might be something wrong with the system. He tried to pair my phone without sucess as I was leaving after a long grueling morning and I told him i would fiddle with it when i got home and return if it didnt work. Even if for some reason my phone was at fault (doubt it because it is new but I guess possible) not sure why my initial voice naming of the phone is not understood. oh well. I will try a few more times and follow the lexus link instructions to the letter in case i am overlooking something obvious. Thanks all. Ill keep you updated in case anyone searches this topic in the future. Again thanks for all the suggestions and posts.
Old 08-03-06, 09:23 AM
Celibon
Driver

Have you tried just typing in a name for your phone? Once it pairs you can try other voice commands to see if it works or not. I don't even know you can name the phone by voice.
Old 08-03-06, 10:35 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got it working on my car yesterday, but while I was fooling around with my cellphone and Bluetooth in my car, I inadvertently screwed something up and I couldn't pair it up. It ended up that I had to delete all instances of the original hookup in the Bluetooth, then turned off the car's power, then turned on the power again, and started the pairing process all over again. Until I did this, it was impossible to complete the connection.
Old 08-03-06, 12:29 PM
coleco
Rookie

The salesman called me this afternoon to see how I am liking the car. He said he would have a loaner car for me the day I bring it in to be looked at - he talked to a guy in service and they both feel the mic in my car is not working. Based on this I am realizing he knew it wasnt working when I drove off the lot. Interesting.... But I still wonder if I am missing something obvious. I am following what he told me to do during the you bought the car here is the steering wheel lecture. I also am following the lexus document I downloaded and printed.

Interesting about typing in the name of the phone on the phone idea but I am thinking the pairing will not even proceed if the car doesnt know the name of the phone. Therefore, with no mic working, no pairing is possible per the sales guy.

However I am interested in what was said about clearing out the bluetooth previous set up, etc. given that someone technically owned my car for 6 weeks or so and appparently didnt like it.

Is there a way to clear out some type of memory, or a way to enter setup on the car. All I know to do at this point is hit the button on the steering wheel and follow the command which stalls at enter a name for the phone. the book doesnt mention anything other than setup is with the talk button on the wheel.
Old 08-03-06, 01:00 PM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by coleco
The salesman called me this afternoon to see how I am liking the car. He said he would have a loaner car for me the day I bring it in to be looked at - he talked to a guy in service and they both feel the mic in my car is not working. Based on this I am realizing he knew it wasnt working when I drove off the lot. Interesting.... But I still wonder if I am missing something obvious. I am following what he told me to do during the you bought the car here is the steering wheel lecture. I also am following the lexus document I downloaded and printed.

Interesting about typing in the name of the phone on the phone idea but I am thinking the pairing will not even proceed if the car doesnt know the name of the phone. Therefore, with no mic working, no pairing is possible per the sales guy.

However I am interested in what was said about clearing out the bluetooth previous set up, etc. given that someone technically owned my car for 6 weeks or so and appparently didnt like it.

Is there a way to clear out some type of memory, or a way to enter setup on the car. All I know to do at this point is hit the button on the steering wheel and follow the command which stalls at enter a name for the phone. the book doesnt mention anything other than setup is with the talk button on the wheel.
I have no idea what you're talking about.

When I linked my BT phone to the car there was absolutely no "talking" involved in the process.

I hit "setup" in the car, inputted the four digit code it gave me into my BT phone, linked the two and that was it.
Old 08-03-06, 01:13 PM
Celibon
Driver

Yeah coleco, there is absolutely no need to use voice command to pair up the bluetooth phone. I don't even think you can do that.

If the mic isn't working, you don't need to test the phone feature. Just say "I'm hungry" and it should list all the restaurants on your navigation. That's easier to know if the mic or even voice recognition is working.
Old 08-03-06, 03:59 PM
coleco
Rookie

OK guys, thanks. There is no need to beat this to death and I sure dont want to get anyone mad. I got an appointment tomorrow with the service dept and they can take a look at it. Ill post what was found.

But I am curious about what the last 2 posts said. I dont have navigation in this car so I cant ask for any restaurant. Is there a setup button somewhere in the car I have no idea about? The only thing I have is the talk button, and hang up buttons on the steering wheel and when I press it it gives a little welcome to the bluetooth hands free blah blah blah.....Then the women's voice says to hit the talk button, and say a name for the phone, and then I guess pair it from there. I hit the button, the radio displays the word "listening" for a few secs, then the voice says pardon. Thats where it falls apart, the car isnt regestering what I am saying and I have tried it 30 times at least.

Edit:
Ahhh... I see what you are all talking about now. Yea, the navigation setup is different than non navi. I have to use the talk button on the steering wheel and enter voice commands. I went to the lexus site and saw on there documents that set up is different between navi and no navi.

Last edited by coleco; 08-03-06 at 04:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Can't get bluetooth to work. any ideas??