ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Like the Car But Not the Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-06, 10:32 AM
Frank789
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Like the Car But Not the Dealer

Bought my ES 350 last week from Lexus of Towson (MD) and have had two questions so far - neither of which they would take time to answer. Esp. with a Lexus, I expected more, but feel that I'm expendable now that they got the sale. Would hesitate to buy from them in the future.
Old 08-05-06, 11:12 AM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you visit the dealer a few times before you agreed to buy the car? I wonder if other people here did that. What questions did you have that they didn't really answer?

In my case I was visiting the dealership for months as I was previously considering the ES330. They knew me quiet well by the time I actually bought something, and I've had some questions and issues after purchasing the ES350 all of which have been dealt with as best as possible on their part.
Old 08-05-06, 11:48 AM
Redefined
Driver School Candidate

You will have your chance to get back to them for their poor services when it's time to fill out the online survey. Don't hold back in the survey; it's their report card. I think all survey goes to the headquarter.
Old 08-05-06, 06:50 PM
rboyle23
Rookie

That is kind of funny because I did talk with them, did not buy from them since they could not get me what I wanted when I wanted it but they were friendly, open, courteous and attentive. Who did you deal with?
Old 08-06-06, 07:24 AM
tstead
Driver School Candidate

I just got my online survey link in my email late last week. I have a major gripe about the dealer I bought my car from. I bought the car off the lot on a Saturday afternoon and they delivered the car to me about 20 minutes after they closed. They did not go over the car with me at all; the guy walked me out to the car, handed me the keys and the user manual and said that if I needed anything to just call them. He began to walk off after the 20-second "delivery" and i stopped him. I said, "wait, what if there are scratches in this car." He said if I saw any over the weekend to call them on Monday and they'd be able to take care of them. When I got in the car, there were bits of plastic sticking out from the seats and the windows that I had to remove myself. It looks like when the car was received, they just ripped all the plastic out of the car and didn't go back to ensure that all that orange tape that holds the plastic in place for transport was removed as well as any remaining plastic attached to that tape. I know they are orange because I removed about a dozen of those tape tabs. Lastly, the inside of the car was not dusted off very well - if at all.

Well, there were scratches - not just swirl marks. When I took it back for them to buff them out, they were not able to. The service manager said that it would need to go to their body shop. He also told me that he spoke to the tech who detailed the car and he said that he noticed several scratches in the car while he was washing it. Of course, nobody bothered to inform me that they saw scratches.

The dealership said that my car will be ready Monday or Tuesday. I am waiting on filling out the feedback form to see how the dealership handles my car after the sale. The issue I have with them hiding the scratches from me (is that why they rushed the delivery process?) could've been a personal performance issue rather than a pervasive dealership issue. That being said, since the dealership now knows my feelings about their neglecting to tell me about the scratches before I drove the car home 80 miles one-way, I feel they should do something to make things better - if they are a quality dealership, that is. I haven't said anything about any free goodies for my troubles so I am waiting to see if they give me anything to make up for their totally unsatisfactory performance at delivering the car to me.

Any thoughts on my experience?

Tim
Old 08-06-06, 07:42 AM
copy252
Driver

yeah, i just got a used 02 es300 with 56,000 on her. she seems to only have a few minor things with her that seem to drive me crazy but like i said. there minor. one being the roof and trunk seem to have parked under a tree (where acorns fall) there so small and hard to see its def not hail. im getting it taken out for about 200 so im not stressed out. i did notice all this stuff before buying the car. i work for the dealership that went to the auction to get me this car. it came in on a wednesday. i took it for 2-3 hours to drive around and was really impressed coming from a 98 3.2TL to this! i noticed the acorn marks, moisture in the front right fog, and some of the leather getting wear lines. i know he bought the car from the auction for 17,250. i paid 21,000 which i think is a bit high but can understand hes gotta make money (its how i get a check!!!) one thing he didnt notice tho was it has HIDS, traction and that other drive control lexus's have (cant remember the name), all weather tires at about 95%, etc... seems he over looked the options! only one it doesnt have is navi
Old 08-06-06, 11:25 AM
jeffofla
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tstead
Any thoughts on my experience? Tim
In California, you are not legally bound to the contract until you take delivery of the car. Had you purchased the car in California, you could have waited to take delivery of the car until it was the middle of day where you could spend some time walking around the vehicle and inspecting it.

There were some delivery issues with my car too. I was very candid on the email surveys and then on the JD Power & Associates survey and another one that arrived in the mail. Just because someone begs to me to give them an outstanding rating doesn't mean I will do it. Outstanding to me is something that is WAY ABOVE AND BEYOND normal expecctations. And even my dealer, whom I like is not outstanding.

The car is the second largest purchase most of us usually makes. I've purchased two Lexus from my dealer, added to the service over the years, and I've probably given my dealer more than $80,000. That's crazy money, and we definitely need to hold dealers accountable.

And speaking of bad service, when I was buying my 2007 ES 350, I had contacted several dealers here in the LA area, just to be competitve. I spoke with a salesman over the phone from Jim Falk Lexus in Beverly Hills two times the week prior to the car launching. I asked specifically for colors/option packages of the cars he had coming in but not yet committed. We talked for a total of 10 minutes on two separate conversations. I told him I was going to buy if I liked the test drive and that there would be no trade in. It would be a clean sale. He never called me back as promised at all. He lost the sale on a $43,500 MSRP car (plus Chrome Rims, XM Radio, and Lo Jack). I actually called him up after I made the purchase and he remembered the conversation. I asked him why he didn't ever call me back as promised, and he said he was busy. Not only did he lose the sale, but I usually service my vehicles where I buy them. Just because he didn't want to follow up, he lost the sale and Jim Falk lost thousands of dollars in future service. You can better believe I filled this out in a survey. What's crazy is that dealers employee people like him. And Jim Falk Lexus will never get my business because of it. My original dealer got the car purchase and the service.

The ultimate issue is service. That's why it's important that we talk candidly about service here on the forum. Let's protect each other from crappy service from any Lexus Dealer.

Last edited by jeffofla; 08-06-06 at 11:28 AM.
Old 08-06-06, 11:14 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

fill those surveys out and be honest with them...if they did well...reward them...if not...blah...heh good luck!
Old 08-07-06, 06:14 AM
PaJaHa1
Pole Position

Having family friends inside the dealership, I can tell you that they take their surveys VERY seriously. The dealers lose sleep over them because the GM's really let them have it if there are any marks less than "Truly Outstanding". All survey results are directed to Corporate. So give honest feedback, but believe it or not there is a big difference between T/O and Very Good in the eyes of Lexus suits.
Old 08-07-06, 10:15 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I already received a few letters from my dealership telling me about upcoming Lexus survey and asking me if I can't provide an "outstanding" mark for all of the questions, contact them personally to talk about it... It will not be a problem in my case since I truly had an outstanding experience with my dealership and sales guy. But still, this letter made me believe it is a very big deal for them!