ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Nav while driving

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-06 | 04:47 PM
psp
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jeffofla
Unfortunately, no. To get the DVD video to play while in motion is not just a simple software hack, but would also require taking the head unit apart and doing some rewiring. Something I'm not willing to do. They've done it for the IS-350. I'm not sure if it is the same procedure or not, but once I found this out, I gave up.

And to those that say it's illegal in many states to play the video in motion forward of the rear seat, yeah, that is true, but it hasn't stopped people from doing it.
Do not try the hack for the IS-xxx on the ES350. My tech and another person have validated that it does not work. We can only hope that someone figures this out. What I want is full functionality without loss of any items. I am reticent to do what Dreyfus has done above. His "fix" bypasses the speed sensor altogether and the Nav system "jumps" as position is based only on GPS (not GPS plus speed).
Old 08-15-06 | 07:50 PM
dreyfus
Racer

Like PSP said, the IS hack will not work on the ES350.

I, too, would like full functionality without having to use a manual switch, but at the moment there is no other option. The four-secret-button-press method mentioned earlier will give you nav functions, but nothing else (phone, MP3 file info, DVD, etc.).

I've gotten used to my toggle switch and it works great. The only time I use it is when dialing from my phone book or looking up iPod files or getting a POI while moving. A quick switch back after my task is complete returns the map to silky smooth movement.

I hope to get everyone instructions & photos later in the week.
Old 08-16-06 | 06:19 AM
psp
Pole Position

Hello Dreyfus and thanks for responding. You did not indicate that when you flipped the switch back everything went back to normal. (Maybe you did and I just missed it) I am intrigued! Where did you put the switch? I eagerly await your specific directions and photos.
Old 08-17-06 | 02:12 PM
dreyfus
Racer

Yes, flipping the switch back puts everything back to normal. The nav will function with the speed sensor disconnected, it just isn't as smooth when displaying the map moving under the car triangle. I can switch back and forth and watch the map be smooth or coarse-moving, and watch the POI and other icons light up or grey out. With the switch disconnected I can see MP3 folders & files; as soon as I flip it to reconnect the display disappears.

My car has a blank spot in the pop-out panel to the left of the steering wheel. There are three buttons (rear shade, trunk, gas) and the blank spot where the parking assist button would go if I had it. I cut out a rectangle here and installed an illuminated rocker switch. It looks really great.