ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

I think I have wind noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-06, 10:25 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think I have wind noise

I was going 80 on the hwy today with no radio and low AC. I was trying to concentrate to hear wind noise. It occurred to me.....although my car was travelling very fast and smooth, i hear sounds similar to my convertable days....like enormous amount of wind hovering past me fast fast.... Kinda like whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. I guess this is the wind noise, which I do not recall the old MSM to have. DAMN! Things are not going right at all. I hope my tranny doesnt go next *knock on wood*. Should i complain about wind noise to my dealership at the 5000 mile service? Damn its my b-day tommorrow and things arent looking good.
Old 08-10-06, 02:52 AM
CaBlonde
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Happy Birthday, Kaius! Cheer up. Things will work out. Don't sweat the small stuff. Look how fortunate you are.

Yeah, I say that now until I get my first ding or hear wind noise or my tranny falls out......then all hell is going to break loose.
Old 08-10-06, 03:38 AM
ng123ray
Lead Lap

u cant expect complete silence from the car... i mean u are traveling at a high speed.... make sure ur moon roof is clsoed all the way etc... if it isnt obnoxiously loud it isnt a problem cause it wouldnt be noticable at all... check where the windows and moon roof seals if there are wind noises... you might find the problem if there is... and save hrs of waiting at the dealers while they lagg on checking your car..
Old 08-10-06, 05:54 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaius88
I was going 80 on the hwy today with no radio and low AC. I was trying to concentrate to hear wind noise. It occurred to me.....although my car was travelling very fast and smooth, i hear sounds similar to my convertable days....like enormous amount of wind hovering past me fast fast.... Kinda like whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. I guess this is the wind noise, which I do not recall the old MSM to have. DAMN! Things are not going right at all. I hope my tranny doesnt go next *knock on wood*. Should i complain about wind noise to my dealership at the 5000 mile service? Damn its my b-day tommorrow and things arent looking good.

Kaius... Trust me, you do NOT have the wind noise issue as there would be no thinking you might have it, you'd know with absolute certainty you did if you had it.
Unless you have a sound about ear level on both driver and passenger side that is as if someone had a high PSI air gun at your ear or as if someone was using one of those air nozzles to clean off a counter top in a machine shop right near your ear, you do NOT have the problem.
AND you don't need to turn anything off, have the AC on 3rd or 4th blower setting, the radio on and it is much, much louder than both of those. It is horrible when you do have it, so bad you roll the windows down and back up to try to cease it.
Old 08-10-06, 06:00 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Almost forgot, Happy Birthday and Enjoy your birthday knowing you do not have the wind noise problem.
Old 08-10-06, 07:18 AM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

ES350Bob is pretty much correct. I could have the standard audio system at volume 20, be doing 80kmh and still easily hear it. The faster you go, the more it increased. My Lexus service person was able to spot it down to 60 km\h, as was I. It was nice actually having them acknowledge it as an issue, even though there was no fix. I've been shimmed, but this only fixes it to a point at the front of the window, and actually unseals the rear of the window a little more I think.

I'm sure Lexus will come out with a TSB or instruction on how to align the windows (and replace window rubber if necessary) to get an awesome window seal happening. I think we may have had a fix by now, but I'm guessing the Trans issues are a bigger issue and need solving first.
Old 08-10-06, 10:16 AM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
Kaius... Trust me, you do NOT have the wind noise issue as there would be no thinking you might have it, you'd know with absolute certainty you did if you had it.
Unless you have a sound about ear level on both driver and passenger side that is as if someone had a high PSI air gun at your ear or as if someone was using one of those air nozzles to clean off a counter top in a machine shop right near your ear, you do NOT have the problem.
AND you don't need to turn anything off, have the AC on 3rd or 4th blower setting, the radio on and it is much, much louder than both of those. It is horrible when you do have it, so bad you roll the windows down and back up to try to cease it.

That loud??? Then it would should like shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cus I am well familiar with the compressed air sound since I used to take woodwork in school. The teacher would say "hey stop spraying air on your skin....you'd open up a wound or something!" I think that's BS, but I do still remember that sound. In that case it would also sound like an air leak on a space craft. Hmmm.... that's not the sound I have. I suspect the sound comes from the glass roof since the old MSM didnt have a glass roof. I hear the sound ABOVE me and not at ear level. Maybe this is a new issue..... I don't hear the sound below 60 mph tho.
Old 08-10-06, 10:39 AM
coolcow
Driver School Candidate

It seems that there is no absolute quiteness in the car... I took a ride on one of loaner cars (I sat in the passenger seat) and hear almost the same thing when over 60 mph... The closer you are to the window, the louder you can hear... But there is no noise whatsoever below 60 mph. So you are probably ok.

BTW, Happy B-day!
Old 08-10-06, 11:21 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Happy B-day! Mine was a month ago, a few days off (of course, we already agree not to be surprised by any of our bizarro similarities, considering we are the same age too ). I see that you just not giving into accepting that you have a perfect car? From now on, why don't you just set yourself a rule to skip reading any of the topics in here starting with "noise problem", "tranny problem", "warning", "problem" in general? You can drive yourself crazy by applying every single problem others are having to your car. Just like it was mentioned above, a real problem is something that you notice instead of reading about others having it and questioning if you have it too. Of course, there are always exceptions depending on your previous car ride experience, but all the biggies will be discovered by you first. Just like when you found a hood misalignment on your MSM. You were the originator of that thread, and we all followed you examining our cars during the pickup from dealer
Old 08-10-06, 01:38 PM
dshahs420
Pole Position

This forums making you paranoid Kaius!!!!!!! oh and enjoy your 65th B-day
Old 08-10-06, 02:27 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by twister
Happy B-day! Mine was a month ago, a few days off (of course, we already agree not to be surprised by any of our bizarro similarities, considering we are the same age too ). I see that you just not giving into accepting that you have a perfect car? From now on, why don't you just set yourself a rule to skip reading any of the topics in here starting with "noise problem", "tranny problem", "warning", "problem" in general?
You forgot "door dings" , "MPG" and "paranoia".

Same thing as my dad and my wife said, "you gonna drive yourself nuts if you look at every single item so seriously". I think it's only a phase.... after a few months when the car is worn in, i think i'll be more comfortable. I mean yesterday the door ding has already knocked my paranoia down a notch already. I think the main curing factor is when i drive the car, everything seems so nice....cool air, nice music, nice smooth ride... I'll need to spend more time in the car.

Last edited by Kaius88; 08-10-06 at 04:43 PM.
Old 08-15-06, 08:03 PM
brio
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus admitted wind noise

Lexus taped all around my windows and could not reduce the wind gusting sound that starts around 45 MPH. They turned the mirrors in and found a slight reduction in wind noise. They did admit to hearing the wind gusting which is a first step. I don't have any wind noise in my Mercedes and can't imagine why Lexus of all cars would have this much. Hope they can find the root cause because the noise is very irritating. I think it has a lot to do with the very large mirrors and their design not being aerodynamic enough.
Old 08-15-06, 08:14 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

They taped the windows and they said they couldn't reduce the noise? I taped up my windows myself (taping the outside glass edges to the door frame in effect) on the outside and that just about completely killed the wind noise for me. That's how I knew this was the problem area. I shouldn't really have had to do this myself though.

Since my front windows were shimmed at the front area, I've had a big reduction in the wind noise coming from that area. What this does though is change the way the top and rear of the window fits, so when doing 75+mph the air pressure starts to force its way past the seal, so I'm getting a wind rush through these areas now. This sounds exactly like the window is partly open - even though it's not!

So even though it still sucks, the wind noise now at the top and rear of both front windows is still better than what I originally had.

Lexus will fix this. Lexus has to fix this. If we hadn't had the drama over the trans I'm sure we'd have a fix already.
Old 08-15-06, 08:19 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Just to define this a little better:

Gusting\Flapping Sails\sounds like you're driving into a really strong headwind from around the front A pillar region = Original Wind Noise (TM).

Air Leak\Wind rushing sounds like your window is partly open, even though it is all the way closed = Other Wind Noise.

On the mirrors - I don't think these are the issue. When I had my vehicle taped up (see the original Wind Noise thread on CL) my vehicle was eerily silent. That's the way it should be. 140km\h and almost zero noise, and certainly nothing coming from the mirrors.