ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Break-in Period

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-06, 11:49 AM
PaJaHa1
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Break-in Period

Ok, so with 1100 miles I figured it's about time I saw what this baby is capable of in a straight line. I'd already lost the road on a pair of S-curves trying to push it, but this is not a driver's car so that is to be expected.

I was on the highway and opened it up and got a wiff of that trademark Lexus - sulfer smell when you get on the engine. I always got this when I drove my mother's 03 ES because she probably never even hit 4,000 RPM in the years she owned it. Anyway, while the car does take a second to get going from a stop (it doesn't have as much "bite" as you would expect from the amount of torque), it kicks in very nicely after a second or two. And when you are cruising at around 50 mph and downshift the car feels very confident and it is more than sufficient for passing. I think it def has more straightaway power than my 03 IS, though my IS would destroy this thing in cornering. But overall it exceeded my expectations in acceleration and highway speed. It actually feels like it is performing better as the mileage rolls on. This is the first time I've actually broken in a car, so this is all new to me. I don't think I want to get into a top speed debate because I know it is discouraged on these boards, but I wonder if anyone has pinned it yet?
Old 08-17-06, 12:10 PM
Macklin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine really seemed to smooth out around 1500 miles. MPG went up a click or so too around that time. Schweet! I still haven't had the chance to really air it out yet. The roads are so crowded around here you better have plenty of room in front of you before you peg it.

This car is surprisingly quick...once it spools up.
Old 08-17-06, 12:44 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This car is like a fine wine - gets better with age

I completely agree with all PaJaHa1 comments, especially tires. Even my old Altima with wider tires had a better road grip while cornering. So, I had my car for a month, and just broke the first 1k. From the beginning, I did feel car's hesitation when you first step on the gas, than it takes off like a rocket. Now, its getting much better even from the start. I was already in a few situations where someone tried to race me from the stop at the red light. Crazy kids, they probably thought I had new IS In both of the cases car stared up slower and than flied out, smoking the other car. BTW, 99% of the time I'm cruising in this car. But on a few of the ocasions it was nice to have all this power under the hood when you are dragging behind a car going 30mph in 45mph zone on a one-lane Central-Jersey-Country-Road where you can step on the gas and pass them.

One thing I'm still getting used to is limited external visibility. Beside smaller rear window, side windows are narrower too. I would expect a little longer to start *feeling* outside while driving this car.
Old 08-17-06, 01:06 PM
coolcow
Driver School Candidate

How do you guys feel about gear shifts? Does it become smoother? Can you still feel a little bit shift shock?

I have about 400 miles on my car now. Gear shifts are still definitely noticeable. I can feel a little bit bump, especially from the 1st up to the 4th in the morning. I am hoping it can get better...
Old 08-17-06, 01:15 PM
PaJaHa1
Pole Position

My shifts are smooth as glass. One thing I have noticed was that if you are in manual mode and switch over to automatic while driving the gears won't catch right away and there is a slight rev. I got really scared the first time it happened thinking I might have the tranny issue. But I'm thinking (or hoping) that this is just the way it is when you switch modes while moving.
Old 08-17-06, 01:55 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PaJaHa1
My shifts are smooth as glass. One thing I have noticed was that if you are in manual mode and switch over to automatic while driving the gears won't catch right away and there is a slight rev. I got really scared the first time it happened thinking I might have the tranny issue. But I'm thinking (or hoping) that this is just the way it is when you switch modes while moving.
The reason you get a slight rev is because you have the manual position(as seen on the dashboard display), set at too low a gear. I leave mine set at "4" as a starting position, and then either upshift to "5" or downshift to "3", "2", or "1".

Last edited by amf1932; 08-17-06 at 01:58 PM.
Old 08-17-06, 08:41 PM
psp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hate to burst your bubble but mine does not do that. I use the manual position (usually 3 or 4) when driving in city traffic so the tranny does not go into higher gears at low speeds. I like to keep the engine in the power band rather than bog the engine at low speeds. 5th and 6th are for the highway. (And R, of course, is for "Race") Anyway, in either mode the transmission is so smooth that the only way I can reliably detect the shift points is from the tach. I readily change from shift mode to D mode without the feeling you describe. {In case anyone is wondering mine was built in April and I have almost 3200 miles} Overall MPG is 25.8.
Old 08-18-06, 06:43 AM
PaJaHa1
Pole Position

I'm actually really starting to get nervous about my trans. When I keep it in D, it never seems to find the right gear and is always changing. When I'm traveling around 30 MPH on a road, the RPM's will sit over 2k and I'm barely even touching the gas. Maybe I'm just being paranoid. I'm going to drive another example tomorrow to see if it's just me.

Last edited by PaJaHa1; 08-18-06 at 07:07 AM.
Old 08-18-06, 08:24 AM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

I'm actually really starting to get nervous about my trans. When I keep it in D, it never seems to find the right gear and is always changing. When I'm traveling around 30 MPH on a road, the RPM's will sit over 2k and I'm barely even touching the gas. Maybe I'm just being paranoid. I'm going to drive another example tomorrow to see if it's just me.
At idle i think RPM is about 1k or so? So it makes sense that 30 MPH (3rd gear) sits at 2k RPM. I really doubt you have any tranny issues.
Old 08-18-06, 09:01 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn, how come I haven't tried manual S-mode before!!! Tried it this morning on an open road, you put this baby into 5 and watch it acccelerate. I thought I'm gonna take off flying

... and I did confirm the same rev up when you go in-between S and D mode, and S mode was in 3 or below.
Old 08-18-06, 02:31 PM
PatB
Driver School Candidate

Default Tranny Issue

Thank you all for the info on this board! I took my Ruby Red/Lt. Grey to the dealership on Wed. night because I started becoming aware of the transmission not truly engaging properly between 20 - 40 mph. It feels as though the engine can't decide which gear to use. The dealer kept my car and will be replacing the part. So, PaJaHa1, take your car into the dealer and have it checked.

I have 2000 miles and the car's build date was 05/06. I purchased it in June and it's been fine until this past week. The dealership doesn't have the parts it needs so I was told that I will not have my car back until next week (maybe). They have given me a loaner to use. I miss my car!
Old 08-18-06, 02:39 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PatB
Thank you all for the info on this board! I took my Ruby Red/Lt. Grey to the dealership on Wed. night because I started becoming aware of the transmission not truly engaging properly between 20 - 40 mph. It feels as though the engine can't decide which gear to use. The dealer kept my car and will be replacing the part. So, PaJaHa1, take your car into the dealer and have it checked.

I have 2000 miles and the car's build date was 05/06. I purchased it in June and it's been fine until this past week. The dealership doesn't have the parts it needs so I was told that I will not have my car back until next week (maybe). They have given me a loaner to use. I miss my car!
OMG This is the 1st 05/06 i have heard of with this kind of problem. So what exactly happens between 20-40 mph? Do you accelerate and the RPM goes beyond 3000 or does it bounce back and forth? Is it a really obvious thing? My car just accelerates through the gears like its supposed to. So the question is how do you know????
Old 08-18-06, 02:49 PM
PatB
Driver School Candidate

Default Slippery Trans.

I think PaJaHa1 has decribed the feeling exactly. The car keeps shifting gears and sometimes it feels sluggish and other times it's sliding forward. Think slipping, not fully engaging as you're driving in the lower gears.
Old 08-18-06, 04:18 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PatB
I think PaJaHa1 has decribed the feeling exactly. The car keeps shifting gears and sometimes it feels sluggish and other times it's sliding forward. Think slipping, not fully engaging as you're driving in the lower gears.
As in not responsive when you hit the gas? If it is not engaged properly (i.e. pressing down clutch and gas at the same time for manual transmission), the RPM would rev up and the car doesnt go any faster. Is this the feeling?
Old 08-18-06, 05:22 PM
PatB
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy

Yes, it feels as if you are in neutral sometimes, but then you can feel the transmission try to engage/get into a gear. I noticed the car wouldn't accelerate, but then as I depressed the gas pedal it tried to engage. The rpms definately go up, although it's not a big jump always. I've just been experiencing the problem this week and took it in.... just in case. I recognized the symtoms from the descriptions other drivers have written. You'll know it when it starts to happen, I'm sorry to say.

Quick Reply: Break-in Period