ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

ES 350 vs Acura TL

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-06, 09:58 AM
07LexusGuy
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If this TL-typeS is still front wheel drive, can you imagine the torque steer on that? A "driver's car" with such power should really be RWD or better yet AWD as the GS350 or RL.

I've driven the 06 TL and the 07 ES350 to compare. My decision is to make my ES350 purchase soon (dealer doesn't have the UL package and color I want right now, so I'm waiting on that). I believe the interior of the TL "looks" more interesting but quality, craftmanship, and material (especially leather in the UL) is much superior in the ES. Besides, I cant get ventillated seats, panoramic roof, AFS lighting on the TL even if I begged for them.

Just my thoughts...
Old 08-26-06, 09:24 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

IMHO, neither car is perfect. I personally would not consider either ES350 or TL Type-S. GS350 will be my choice: award winning 2gr-fse engine, option of RWD and AWD, and reliability that comes from the best Toyota plant (yes, even better than ES's plant), and no "rebranded Accord/Camry" perception(or reality?). Again, options, models and even brands are personal choices, but put everthing Acura and Lexus offer on the table for the same year and let buyers decide themselves.

Last edited by TunedRX300; 08-26-06 at 09:39 PM.
Old 08-26-06, 09:30 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

the avalon might possibly use the GS body, im not positive
Old 08-26-06, 10:01 PM
07LexusGuy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
IMHO, neither car is perfect. I personally would not consider either ES350 or TL Type-S. GS350 will be my choice: award winning 2gr-fse engine, option of RWD and AWD, and reliability that comes from the best Toyota plant (yes, even better than ES's plant), and no "rebranded Accord/Camry" perception(or reality?). Again, options, models and even brands are personal choices, but put everthing Acura and Lexus offer on the table for the same year and let buyers decide themselves.
Perfection is relative - what fits my needs is perfect for me. Rebranded Camry fits me perfectly, I've been driving the last three generations of Camry 93, 98, 05 (and one 98 Accord) so I really dont mind taking a step up. The previous generation of ES330/Camry weren't much different. We have an 04 ES330 and my current 05 Camry XLE V6 - I drive them daily and see very little difference between the two.

The 07 ES350 really changed my perception between Camry and ES - so rebranded or not, I'm sold on ES now. And you're right though... if it were a true enthusiast's car, I'd go for a GS350 (the 07 even has a VDIM off switch - yay!).

But heck, I'm 23 - this will be my second new car, but my first Lexus... I guess I don't quite fit with the intended age demographic. But I'll have plenty of time left to find my perfect ride... maybe I'll hit that midlife crisis sometime in the future and buy a two door sports car to drive when I'm in my 50's
Old 08-26-06, 11:18 PM
rx7_fan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 07LexusGuy
Perfection is relative - what fits my needs is perfect for me. Rebranded Camry fits me perfectly, I've been driving the last three generations of Camry 93, 98, 05 (and one 98 Accord) so I really dont mind taking a step up. The previous generation of ES330/Camry weren't much different. We have an 04 ES330 and my current 05 Camry XLE V6 - I drive them daily and see very little difference between the two.

The 07 ES350 really changed my perception between Camry and ES - so rebranded or not, I'm sold on ES now. And you're right though... if it were a true enthusiast's car, I'd go for a GS350 (the 07 even has a VDIM off switch - yay!).

But heck, I'm 23 - this will be my second new car, but my first Lexus... I guess I don't quite fit with the intended age demographic. But I'll have plenty of time left to find my perfect ride... maybe I'll hit that midlife crisis sometime in the future and buy a two door sports car to drive when I'm in my 50's

Hey I'm 23 too, and I love my ES350. All my friends have been asking why not get the IS350 instead, but man, I'm not going to take it to the track or anything so why waste my time on an IS with its rough ride. I'm going to try and work hard to save up for a house, then when I have money, my next car will probably me a pure roadster. I'm not really sure why people are aruguing what's better than what, who cares, if you have money buy whatever you like.
Old 08-27-06, 07:00 AM
tnfan
Rookie

Originally Posted by rx7_fan
Hey I'm 23 too, and I love my ES350. All my friends have been asking why not get the IS350 instead, but man, I'm not going to take it to the track or anything so why waste my time on an IS with its rough ride. I'm going to try and work hard to save up for a house, then when I have money, my next car will probably me a pure roadster. I'm not really sure why people are aruguing what's better than what, who cares, if you have money buy whatever you like.
Totally agree with your last statement.
Old 08-27-06, 10:44 AM
07LexusGuy
Intermediate

I'm not really sure why people are aruguing what's better than what, who cares, if you have money buy whatever you like.
Agreed!

My friend who drives an RX-8 tells me to get the 07 BMW 335 coupe... but sport and harsh ride is really is not quite my main priority in a new car. I stress my joints enough from working out at the gym, I really dont need to do that on the way home too! I prefer to be pampered

But to every man his own - whatever floats your boat and makes you happy is the perfect car for you. For me, its a 07 Blue Onyx ES350 UL.
Old 08-27-06, 10:44 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not really sure why people are aruguing what's better than what, who cares, if you have money buy whatever you like.
Yes it is a personal choice but people have other motivations: brand loyalty, emotion attachment on a big ticket decision.
As another member posted earlier, this is a biased place to ask for objective opinions. If you go to www.acurazine.com and ask the same question, you will get a different answer. But for sure, you will not see Acura owners discount the biggest option that Acura offers for TL: the engine. Then compare a pre-2007 TL with a 2007 ES.
Old 08-27-06, 09:39 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

I drove a 1996 Mazda Miata for the last 8 years. In terms of handling, nothing beats a Miata. Only problem is its tiny 137 hp 4-cylinder engine. It is RWD and rough ride as expected. It was fun as heck to drive for the 1st few years, but then I got kinda sick of the crammed space, lack of power, stiffness, and NOISE. Been waiting to buy new car for a while, but had to buy house and baby car first (family priorities). Finally got the ES350, and let me tell you, I AM NEVER GOING SPORTS AGAIN. I'm 32 years old, and would like to drive a cool looking car. But the ES is truly comfortable, and I do not want to get out of it.... So my point is: the sporty ride is a novelty, but in the long run you want something that is really comfy. The ES has a good balance of comfort and sleekness....so ES wins. IMHO.
Old 08-28-06, 08:36 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
Actually, it's based on the Camry platform too.
Old 08-28-06, 09:20 AM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Originally Posted by Kaius88
I'm 32 years old, and would like to drive a cool looking car. But the ES is truly comfortable, and I do not want to get out of it.
In case you hadn't noticed.....you ARE driving a cool looking car!
Perhaps you would like to rephrase that statement?
Old 08-28-06, 09:26 AM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexucan
In case you hadn't noticed.....you ARE driving a cool looking car!
Perhaps you would like to rephrase that statement?
Rephrase: I am 32 years old and I am driving a cool looking car that I do not want to get out of when i get to work.
Old 08-28-06, 09:31 AM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Rephrase: I am 32 years old and I am driving a cool looking car that I do not want to get out of when i get to work.
That's better!
Old 08-28-06, 05:11 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
Avalon shares no body parts with the GS and only the engine in the 350 but the GS gets dual Vvti and direct injection.

The Avalon has always been Camry based, FWD, built in Kentucky.
Old 08-28-06, 05:14 PM
LexFather

I drove a 1996 Mazda Miata for the last 8 years. In terms of handling, nothing beats a Miata. Only problem is its tiny 137 hp 4-cylinder engine. It is RWD and rough ride as expected. It was fun as heck to drive for the 1st few years, but then I got kinda sick of the crammed space, lack of power, stiffness, and NOISE. Been waiting to buy new car for a while, but had to buy house and baby car first (family priorities). Finally got the ES350, and let me tell you, I AM NEVER GOING SPORTS AGAIN. I'm 32 years old, and would like to drive a cool looking car. But the ES is truly comfortable, and I do not want to get out of it.... So my point is: the sporty ride is a novelty, but in the long run you want something that is really comfy. The ES has a good balance of comfort and sleekness....so ES wins. IMHO.
Good point and a reason Lexus sells so well in America and has been the sales champ for 7 years in a row when this year is over.

Lexus figured out the American market.

A reviewer in Europe (where they are very sport biased) said it best when comparing the IS 250 and 3 series. The Lexus is the car you want 95% of the time you drive, the 3, 5% (when you are pushing or at the track).

Quick Reply: ES 350 vs Acura TL