ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

ES 350 vs Acura TL

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-06, 04:38 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ES 350 vs Acura TL

I am new to this forum. I have an 04 Acura TL and am serious about buying an ES 350. My only concern is the ride. Is it too soft compared to what I am used to on the TL? How does it corner on ramps? Does anyone have XM radio added? How does the antenna look on the trunk?
Old 08-19-06, 04:49 AM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MD350
I am new to this forum. I have an 04 Acura TL and am serious about buying an ES 350. My only concern is the ride. Is it too soft compared to what I am used to on the TL? How does it corner on ramps? Does anyone have XM radio added? How does the antenna look on the trunk?
They're really not in the same calss of car. The ES is a vastly more luxurious car. It has pretty much every bell and whistle a techno-freak could possibly imagine and carries it all off with typical Lexus perfection (or close to it).

It does give up a great deal of handling precision and there is considerable body lean. Going around curves doesn't feel "confident" and though the car has tremendous straight ahead power (0-60 in 6.2) it handles more like a Buick than a sports sedan.

An added plus is that with the awesome power of this car, it will give you equally awesome gas mileage (how they do this I have no idea...long gear ratios maybe?). Expect 20-21 mpg in city driving and 29-32 mpg on the highway. These are real world numbers too.

The only area other than handling where the TL might outshine the ES would be the NAV system. Honda/Acura NAV systems have always been state of the art and I suspect that here, it would clearly outclass the ES350 which, while very good, is not great.

Oh and one final thing. Did you say "XM"???

You have to be kidding here!!!

No Howard Stern?

'Nuff said.
Old 08-19-06, 05:40 AM
coleco
Rookie

I was debating between a 2004 preowned TL fully loaded and the ES 350 minimally loaded. While I like both cars and really like the navi/DVD audio on the TL I have to say I am very happy with my decision to buy the ES - it was the test drive and feel of the car that did it. The car handles very well and all i can say is on the test drive I was hooked. The car feels lean and powerful like a cat. My previous BMW was powerful as well but felt like a horse. It is a different type of feel with the drive. Have you test drove the ES yet? It depends what you are lookin g for I guess.

Had the xm installed the other day. For not being the matching color shark fin on top, it looks fine and they placed it in a good spot on the trunk lid- centered and all the way back near the window.

As far as the xm and sirius debate goes, if you can live without Howard xm is great. I have had it for years. Can't and won't bash sirius because I don't have it but I certainly can live without hearing Howard's voice for the rest of my days - in instills instant migraines.

Last edited by coleco; 08-19-06 at 05:43 AM.
Old 08-19-06, 07:38 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

As to XM, my Acura came with it and I am pre paid with XM for another few years, I ended up only paying about $8 a month for doing so. So, XM would carry over to my next car until the subscription runs out.

I have driven the ES once, but with a sales person that would not shut up about the features. I was not able to really take it out and see how it handles. I will have to go back and ask if I can take one out myself for about an hour.

Quality wise, I think the Lexus wins hands down. The IS is too small for me, so ES is the car for me. I just have to drive it again.
Old 08-19-06, 08:08 AM
CaBlonde
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I currently have both vehicles (2003 Acura TL and 2007 Lexus ES350). I have until August 29th until my lease is up on my Acura. Just haven't had a lot of time to turn it in yet. After driving my ES for a few weeks, I decided to take out the TL (for old time sake). It is definitely a different ride than the ES. Not better or worse, just different. The TL has tighter steering (love how it corners in the canyon.) I also agree with Psychdoc that the Acura NAV is superior and easier to use. Especially because it allows you to enter addresses while driving. Maybe I am just not used to the Lexus Nav yet.

I have noticed that you don't feel the road as much in the ES. Very smooth ride. The ES sits higher than the TL and is roomer inside. I always referred to my TL as my little slot car but the ES definitely has the power but in more of a luxury fashion. They are just different classes of cars. You will have to test drive both and see which one suits you better at this time in your life.

Good luck.
Old 08-19-06, 12:49 PM
dp5
Driver

Default Xm

Regarding the XM, don't let them put the antenna on the trunk lid. They can place it inside the car on the rear deck near the 3rd brake light. Reception is great and you get better aesthetics.
Old 08-19-06, 12:51 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dp5
Regarding the XM, don't let them put the antenna on the trunk lid. They can place it inside the car on the rear deck near the 3rd brake light. Reception is great and you get better aesthetics.
Fantastic tip, thank you!!! That is what I love about this forum
Old 08-19-06, 12:52 PM
cyke
Driver School Candidate

Default You won't regret it!

MD350,

There was an older thread on this in which I chipped in. I was a previous owner of a 2004 Acura TL. You won't regret it. I have posted why I switched to ES350 so soon after owning '04 TL for > 1.5 yrs (see below):

===============
Bought my first Lexus last May 20. Selected ES350 over IS350 after seeing and test driving one that day. I do not need ML & Nav and can not get IS350 with Luxury package only and ES350 is more spacious.

Crystal White/Light Gray Interior

Premium plus package
Preferred accessory package
Bluetooth audio
17" summer tires
Full size spare tire
HID headlamps with AFS
Power rear sunshade

Traded-in 2004 Acura TL due to many problems... my patience had ran out. Rattles, rattles everywhere... recent problem with doorlock not opening, replaced actuator and started to do it again... build quality is poor, rear bumper starting to have big gaps to the body, etc. Missed sportiness of TL but luxury, comfort, and quietness of ES350 more than makes up for it.
=====================

Links:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=214896&page=2
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...highlight=cyke

Hope this helps.

Cyke
Old 08-19-06, 01:01 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cyke
MD350,

There was an older thread on this in which I chipped in. I was a previous owner of a 2004 Acura TL. You won't regret it. I have posted why I switched to ES350 so soon after owning '04 TL for > 1.5 yrs (see below):

===============
Bought my first Lexus last May 20. Selected ES350 over IS350 after seeing and test driving one that day. I do not need ML & Nav and can not get IS350 with Luxury package only and ES350 is more spacious.

Crystal White/Light Gray Interior

Premium plus package
Preferred accessory package
Bluetooth audio
17" summer tires
Full size spare tire
HID headlamps with AFS
Power rear sunshade

Traded-in 2004 Acura TL due to many problems... my patience had ran out. Rattles, rattles everywhere... recent problem with doorlock not opening, replaced actuator and started to do it again... build quality is poor, rear bumper starting to have big gaps to the body, etc. Missed sportiness of TL but luxury, comfort, and quietness of ES350 more than makes up for it.
=====================

Links:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=214896&page=2
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...highlight=cyke

Hope this helps.

Cyke
Thank you.....mine rattles too. 44K miles on it. Mine has been better to me than yours, I just have the rattles and the dashboard is fading. I am leaning towards the Lexus.
Old 08-19-06, 01:15 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

With the non sports cars, it's the same thing from the bottom of the Toyota & Honda lines, to the very top of the Acura & Lexus brands.
A Honda will always be slower in a striaght line, handle infinately better in stock form, and have worse materials & build quality.
A Toyota is always faster in a straight line, uses far better parts & materials, and build quality. Makes you feel like you're riding a real luxury car. Where it's the world way over there, and you in a nice bubble.
That's just as true for a rolla VS civic, a Camry VS Accord, as it is an ES vs TL.

If all you want is an ES to handle better... It's a $33-41 thousand dollar car, and you can't afford $500 in springs and struts? LoL!
That's my opinion, but ya.
I mean if you like the ES 350 as a better car, but just don't like the ride, change the ride. (Keep in mind if you don't like the steering feel... It's always gunna be like that, some bracing might help it but, eh.)
If you like the TL that much better... Keep it!

We aint twisting your arms. Whatever floats your *****.
"To each, his own"
Old 08-19-06, 01:22 PM
psp
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Pheonix
Where it's the world way over there, and you in a nice bubble.
What does this mean?
Old 08-19-06, 02:07 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Pheonix
With the non sports cars, it's the same thing from the bottom of the Toyota & Honda lines, to the very top of the Acura & Lexus brands.
A Honda will always be slower in a striaght line, handle infinately better in stock form, and have worse materials & build quality.
A Toyota is always faster in a straight line, uses far better parts & materials, and build quality. Makes you feel like you're riding a real luxury car. Where it's the world way over there, and you in a nice bubble.
That's just as true for a rolla VS civic, a Camry VS Accord, as it is an ES vs TL.

If all you want is an ES to handle better... It's a $33-41 thousand dollar car, and you can't afford $500 in springs and struts? LoL!
That's my opinion, but ya.
I mean if you like the ES 350 as a better car, but just don't like the ride, change the ride. (Keep in mind if you don't like the steering feel... It's always gunna be like that, some bracing might help it but, eh.)
If you like the TL that much better... Keep it!

We aint twisting your arms. Whatever floats your *****.
"To each, his own"
We have a Toyota Sienna XLE van, which could be badged a Lexus. So, I know the difference in ride and quality vs a Honda product. We have been happy with the van, so I am sure I will love the Lexus. Since the TL is not being redesigned until 2009, it seems more and more ES. thanks
Old 08-19-06, 03:39 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by psp
What does this mean?
I think he means the ES isolates you from the world outside with its thick sound insulation, smooth transmission and velvet ride.
Old 08-21-06, 07:17 AM
PaJaHa1
Pole Position

MD- I too was considering the TL and ES. You have to make a decision on which path you want to take here- you are at a crossroads as they say. The ES path will lead you to a world of smooth-riding, quiet luxury with a beautiful interior and adequate performance. If you want to stay with the TL, you will have more enhanced performance (though not great), but IMO you really don't have the classy, luxury feel of the ES.

I came from an IS300 so I was used to taking turns at 50 MPH and turning off TRAC and having fun. Be advised that this CANNOT happen in an ES. I determined that I wanted more from a car than just peeling out. That being said, the ES has plenty of straightaway power and I have gotten compliments from both the young crowd as well as older businessmen-types. Even a guy with a Harley gave me props!

Test-drive the ES and figure out which way you want to go.
Old 08-21-06, 10:48 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CaBlonde
... I always referred to my TL as my little slot car but the ES definitely has the power but in more of a luxury fashion.
From a "boner-ville" to a "slot car" my bizarro sis...

Back to the topic... I was also facing the same choice between TL and ES. I was always a fan of TL, the current model and the one before. So, that was a strong consideration for me... up until '07 ES350 was revealed. As an opposite, I never liked a style of an older ES300/330, but ES350 changed everything. You really have to test drive both, this will be an easy decision for you True, TL will give you more of sports handling, but that is all. Even the sales guy at Acura, when I was test driving it, made only one comment against ES - TL will cost you less. As it was described above, ES will give you a perfect plend of the best of both worlds - luxury and performance. Of course, the quality, the reliability, and even the resale value of Lexus is miles ahead of Acura.

Quick Reply: ES 350 vs Acura TL