ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Smoky Granite Mica Owners....Your opinion?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-06, 07:52 AM
richbutler
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoky Granite Mica Owners....Your opinion?

I currently have the Ultra in Tungsten Pearl (silver). It is a long story that I cannot talk about right now....but I will have the opportunity to swap out of my current es350 for another es350.

Anyhow, I have been happy with the Tungsten Pearl with gray interior. However, since I have another chance with a different color, I was thinking of going the SGM with gray interior. My question is for current SGM owners (and anyone else who wants to chime in). Is the SGM a hard color to keep clean. And do you see the swirl marks from washing your car? How does the gray interior look with the SGM or should I go with black?

Thanks a bunch.
Old 08-19-06, 08:00 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

We're happy with our SGM/Gray. Surprisingly, it doesn't seem to show the dust too badly, and I'm particular on how my cars look. All of the car washes to date, have been by hand or touchless car washes, no dealer washes yet (too far away to be convenient but I will use them in the winter) so no swirling to report. The gray carpet is a little hard to keep clean, but if vaccumed regularly not too bad. We think the SGM/Gray combo looks good together.
Old 08-19-06, 08:23 AM
richbutler
Rookie

Originally Posted by LexBob2
The gray carpet is a little hard to keep clean, but if vaccumed regularly not too bad.
Yes, the gray interior carpet can be tough to keep clean; they gray mats seem to attract dirt. However, some diluted simple green and a gentle scrub takes all the dirt and grime out of my mats.

Thanks for the input on SGM!
Old 08-19-06, 09:50 AM
glynnm45
Driver School Candidate

I have the SGM/Gray interior and like it very much. But, I think if I had it to do over again, I would go for the Black. That color with chrome wheels is breath taking.
Old 08-19-06, 10:48 AM
psp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BLACK

Old 08-19-06, 11:11 AM
cocopops
Pole Position

I have the SGM/Gray combo as well. The carpet have to be regularly cleaned, but I usually will not allow any passengers that have dirty shoes to sit in my car anyway During dusty days, the car does collect dusts, particularly in the rear bumper. I absolutely love my color combo, so you probably get a biased opinion. Tungsten pearl ain't a bad color as well, so it really depends on you. Do you have to pay anything for the color swap? I am not a fan of black so I dont recommend it.
Old 08-19-06, 01:00 PM
dp5
Driver

I've had a black car before and have sworn never to have one again because they are so difficult to keep clean. I was torn between the Tungsten Pearl and Smokey Granite Mica when I bought my ES 350. I ended up going with the SGM because the color of the panoramic roof blended in so well with the body. Both colors are beautiful but my I've become more and more pleased with the SGM over time. If you have a chance to switch, consider the SGM.
Old 08-19-06, 01:17 PM
psp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh yeah, just two suggestions,

1. Go with a dark or black interior if you can. I have had two loaners with light color interiors (gray and cashmere). Both had fewer miles than mine and both looked like hell. They just do not hold their luster.

2. Do not get Moon Shell Mica (aka pink). I saw one on the freeway today and I said hey that looks similar to my car but it's that ugly color. I felt bad for the owner but then noted it was a loaner. (It had a big 5 digit serial number on the front windshield). I think the MSMs will end up as loaners.

I wonder which is a richer black, the obsidian or the onyx?
Old 08-19-06, 04:23 PM
mwike
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the SGM w/ grey interior. It's easier to keep clean than I thought it would be. I've never had problems with the carpet, but I don't get in with dirty shoes.
Old 08-19-06, 06:30 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm waiting for Kaius88 to reply Where are you, bizarro bro?

... btw, can't wait to hear your story about the "switch"
Old 08-19-06, 07:08 PM
cocopops
Pole Position

Hehe.. Kaius should really chime in this thread. THe problem with SGMs is that they usually come with the lighter color interiors. I guess people want the contrast between the dark exterior and light interior (I m included).
Old 08-19-06, 07:11 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

... or the other way around, light exterior and dark interior. I got Tungsten Pearl with a black interior (and just came back from a tinting place where I got 35% all around). Go silver bullet!!!
Old 08-19-06, 07:55 PM
richbutler
Rookie

This has been really helpful. I'm leaning towards getting my next es350 in the SGM instead of the Tungsten again. When I went by the dealer, there was an SGM that seemed to have scratches behind the door handle. These scratches were noticable. I'm sure I have slight scratches behind the door handles on my Tungsten that you can't see.

However, when I compare my Tungsten with the SGM, it seems that the SGM has a really nice even paint whereas my Tungsten is a fine paint job....but I see some spottiness or uneveness in the paint on the hood and trunk. Does anyone else notice this on their Tungsten?

I'm going to have to decide by Monday.....and I'm leaning towards SGM and the gray interior.
Old 08-19-06, 07:56 PM
richbutler
Rookie

And yes....I will provide details about my car swap soon!
Old 08-19-06, 08:09 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by richbutler
...but I see some spottiness or uneveness in the paint on the hood and trunk. Does anyone else notice this on their Tungsten?
Not in here.

Quick Reply: Smoky Granite Mica Owners....Your opinion?