ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Event Data Recorder

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-06, 11:44 AM
PaJaHa1
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Event Data Recorder

Is our car equipped with this "technology"? I've been reading about it today and did not realize how many cars have it. I never checked the owner's manual, where they are supposed to disclose that it's in the car. I'm far from a privacy advocate, but would certainly be opposed to the unit being in my car.
Old 08-21-06, 11:56 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is this supposed to be like a "black box"? Do you have a link describing this technology? Off top of my head, and because I'm an engineer designing optical telecom transmission circuits (yeah, a mouthful ), we often use this concept to track "working history" of the devices which can come handy if something breaks and needs to be troubleshooted. So, I would really like to know exactly how does this gets implemented in autos. Maybe keeping track of gasoline we use, top/average speed, acceleration, driving intervals, etc.?
Old 08-21-06, 12:02 PM
07LexusGuy
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

try this link:
http://www.cnn.com/2006/AUTOS/08/21/...ule/index.html

These have been in certain Toyota/Lexus models since 2005 (or even before - I just know my 05 has it). And yes... it should be in your manual if your car is equiped with the device.
Old 08-21-06, 12:11 PM
PaJaHa1
Pole Position

Google is your friend, Twister!

They are marketed to be a resource to determine fault in accidents. There are more troublesome capabilities, however, such as catching people speeding!

I've heard rumors that in some states the data is not released unless a warrant is issued. What worries me is that these things have very quietly made their way into cars and who knows what they are really using them for...
Old 08-22-06, 04:31 PM
LexFather

Data from my understanding is not to be released
Old 08-22-06, 05:07 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

EDRs were originally intended for manufacturers to collect real life data about a crash so that they can analyse and see whether the car performed as they expected. It records vehicle speed, brake pressure, accelerator angle, seatbelt usage and airbag deployment. I'm not sure if they check if the lights are on or not.

This information then caught the eyes of juries and such and that they can use the information to convict or defend someone in court.

If there is one installed in your vehicle, it will be mentioned in the beginning of the owner's manual. At least, that's where my disclaimer is on the Prius.
Old 08-22-06, 06:28 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

In my Owners Manual (U.S. model) information on the Event Data Recorder (EDR) is on page #339.
Old 08-22-06, 08:20 PM
dreyfus
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I used to do forensic investigations that sometimes ended up in court. I'm all for this info being recorded and used whenever there's an accident, or even a disputed citation. There's nothing like a black box for giving an objective view of the truth. It can save your butt if you're wrongfully charged with causing an accident and it can nail it if you're guilty.

The fear, of course, is that your insurance company will somehow get ahold of it and change your rates accordingly. The other fear is that GPS tracking will be able to trace you to that shady rendezvous...

At this point this isn't legally possible, so no worries now. But in the future, who knows....
Old 08-23-06, 07:36 AM
CaBlonde
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dreyfus
The other fear is that GPS tracking will be able to trace you to that shady rendezvous...

At this point this isn't legally possible, so no worries now. But in the future, who knows....
A friend of mine called me all panicked a few weeks ago and said that she heard on the radio that whoever is on title on the car can just call the dealer and find out where the car is at anytime. (Obviously she was more worried about it than me. LOL) I told her I don't think they have the time to deal with that (can you imagine all the calls they would get on a daily basis?) and besides it is an invasion of privacy. Unless the car is stolen that is the only time they would be able to track it. She let out a sigh of relief. I just shook my head.
Old 08-23-06, 08:06 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you are insured with many insurance companies, they are writing in the small print that you give them permission to inspect the on board recorder, in the event of an accident, if the auto is so equipped. This wavers any concerns about privacy.

Privacy is not a right... It's a privilege
Old 09-09-06, 04:51 PM
ZaKapitan
Driver School Candidate

the car IS loaded with a data recorder. This recorder can only be decoded by Lexus, and Lexus will only release the results to the owner of the car, except, of course by court order.

And yes, check your insurance contract, manys insurance companies include a clause that releases that access to them too.