ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Front license plate, necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-06, 12:09 PM
Macklin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It took them about 5 minutes to change one setting for me. They missed another one I asked for so I'm dropping by there on my way home to get that one done while I pick up my new black mats.

Maybe I'll have them wash the car while I'm there.
Old 08-23-06, 12:36 PM
PaJaHa1
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can the seatbelt chime be turned off? Sorry, but I don't have the manual handy. This was another item that "couldn't be done" by the dealer.
Old 08-23-06, 01:00 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is the only reference to a seatbelt. Sounds like a reminder linked to a speed, I guess when you start going faster and seatbelt is not on?
Attached Thumbnails Front license plate, necessary?-custom-seatbelt.jpg  
Old 08-23-06, 02:40 PM
rx7_fan
Driver School Candidate

Pajaha, you need to find your instruction manual dude, and go to a new dealer, it seems like they are waving you off to everyting you're eligile to with the ES.
Old 08-23-06, 03:53 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Which personalized settings did you guys get? I got the auto-lock at 13 mph, and the manual unlock when car is set to park. I might consider others as time goes, since I gave 11 more months to decide.

Wishlist: DVD movie player to work while car is in motion. (fat chance).
Old 08-24-06, 06:24 AM
PaJaHa1
Pole Position

This is really pissing me off now that I saw this page in my manual. The two things I wanted done by the dealer, DRL disable and Seatbelt chime disable, are both customizing options. The service rep told me that they cannot be done. Has anyone else tried to get rid of either of these with success?
Old 08-24-06, 11:27 AM
rx7_fan
Driver School Candidate

I'm going to the dealer today to get it done, I'll let you know.
Old 08-24-06, 03:57 PM
rboyle23
Rookie

Just a little FYI...

In the United States, 19 states do not require an official front license plate, these states being Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee and West Virginia; U.S. territories Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands and Guam also do not require an official front license plate.

I am not sure how "current" this is so please check with your local DMV if you are considering not using a front plate and live in one of the above states.
Old 08-24-06, 04:49 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by twister
I could be wrong, but DRL off feature was listed somewhere in the manual. Its should be a part of your personalization setting... Unless I'm dreaming, there wasn't a direct switch off but some other way to reprogram that setting...
You are correct--the owner's manual does mention that the DRL can be turned off via programming. Assuming that such is indeed correct and not some misinformation that was included in the manual by mistake--whether a dealer is willing to actually program it so that the DRL doesn't turn on is a different story entirely--I thought I read somewhere that, at least in the U.S., they are not permitted/allowed to "permanently" disable the auto-DRL feature except under certain instances, almost all of which the general public would not qualify for.
Old 08-24-06, 04:54 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PaJaHa1
Can the seatbelt chime be turned off? Sorry, but I don't have the manual handy. This was another item that "couldn't be done" by the dealer.
I believer there is some sort of regulation (U.S. DOT) which mandates that the seat belt chime is not to be disabled by the dealer. Now, you could find a way to manually disable it yourself but legal regulations prohibit a dealer from doing so, exceptions notwithstanding.
Old 08-24-06, 04:57 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rboyle23
Just a little FYI...

In the United States, 19 states do not require an official front license plate, these states being Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee and West Virginia; U.S. territories Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands and Guam also do not require an official front license plate.

I am not sure how "current" this is so please check with your local DMV if you are considering not using a front plate and live in one of the above states.
CA license plate laws notwithstanding, I wish my dealer hadn't mounted the front license plate bracket on my ES 350--personally, I prefer the front of my vehicle to have a clean, smooth look. I could remove the bracket but then I'd be left with two unsightly holes for which I'd have to find some plastic plugs/covers--which I'd have to paint to match--to cover those holes.
Old 08-24-06, 05:25 PM
rx7_fan
Driver School Candidate

toneman you can disable the day time running lights and the seatbelt chime, all you have to do is go to the dealer and ask. It even states it in your owner manual.
Old 08-25-06, 12:39 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rx7_fan
toneman you can disable the day time running lights and the seatbelt chime, all you have to do is go to the dealer and ask. It even states it in your owner manual.
I know it's possible to disable both...I don't think I ever stated that it couldn't be done at all--my point was to offer as to whether there might be some kind of US DOT regulation that would prevent a dealer from legally doing so.
Old 08-25-06, 12:43 PM
rx7_fan
Driver School Candidate

Ooh what I meant is that, if it's on the manual, I'm sure it's legal. Cause people can easily sue lexus for rnot compiling with US DOT regulations and have proof in writing.
Old 08-25-06, 01:11 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As far as I know, DRL are only required in Canada. No such law exist in US, otherwise all the cars will be equipped with it.

Quick Reply: Front license plate, necessary?