ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Front license plate, necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-06 | 03:03 AM
rx7_fan
Driver School Candidate

Default Front license plate, necessary?

Hey guys,

Since our cars does not have the front license plate already mounted, I was wondering if we have to have it on. My friends' BMW just have the little sticker that they put on their windsheild, I was wondering if I can do the same thing and not mount the front license plate.

P.S.
I'm trying to add on HID for my car, but I need to disable the Day time running lights, anyone know how to do that?

Thanks,
Andy

Last edited by rx7_fan; 08-23-06 at 11:37 AM.
Old 08-23-06 | 04:35 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Some States require the use of a front license plate. Check with your motor vehicle department to see if it's legal to not use it.
Old 08-23-06 | 05:21 AM
PaJaHa1
Pole Position

I got pulled over last weekend by an NJ trooper for not having one, but no ticket. Things like this make me really dislike police. In any case, I figure it's not worth it so I drilled one onto my car which REALLY broke my heart...

RX7- I tried to have the dealer disable my DRLs but he wouldn't do it. There must be a way but I don't know of one.
Old 08-23-06 | 07:09 AM
Ingram4868
Driver

Originally Posted by PaJaHa1
RX7- I tried to have the dealer disable my DRLs but he wouldn't do it. There must be a way but I don't know of one.
It is interesting what features Lexus incorporates from the Toyoto line. My Avalon has a DLR off position on the turn signal handle, but they don't include this on the ES350? go figure. I looked in the owners manual for a circuit breaker labeled DRL but I don't see one. Maybe someone else has had experience with this.
Old 08-23-06 | 07:25 AM
PaJaHa1
Pole Position

The last generation ES had the DRL off feature, I don't know why they discontinued it. The service rep was trying to convince me that they are required to have them on to comply with safety regulations, which is BS.
Old 08-23-06 | 08:28 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

I could be wrong, but DRL off feature was listed somewhere in the manual. Its should be a part of your personalization setting... Unless I'm dreaming, there wasn't a direct switch off but some other way to reprogram that setting...
Old 08-23-06 | 08:32 AM
PaJaHa1
Pole Position

I thought so too, but apparently not. There was discussion about this on the IS forum as well. There is no easy fix. The only personal settings involving lights are the interior and exterior off-timers.
Old 08-23-06 | 09:47 AM
Macklin
Advanced

A quick question guys, but what is it that bothers you about DRL's?

The way I see it is...anything that makes my car more recognizable to the other idiot drivers I'm surrounded by on a daily basis is a good thing.
Old 08-23-06 | 09:54 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

So, I wasn't dreaming!!! Here is a page from pdf version of the manual (for US only):
Attached Thumbnails Front license plate, necessary?-custom-lights.jpg  
Old 08-23-06 | 10:00 AM
PaJaHa1
Pole Position

Interesting.. Is this in the real manual? If so I have ammunition to go to the dealer with.
Old 08-23-06 | 10:02 AM
PaJaHa1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Macklin
A quick question guys, but what is it that bothers you about DRL's?

The way I see it is...anything that makes my car more recognizable to the other idiot drivers I'm surrounded by on a daily basis is a good thing.
I personally don't like the way they look. I think it looks too "Toyota". The yellowness takes away from the clean look of the car and at night sometimes I like to have the car running without having any lights on (for my sketchy nighttime activities).
Old 08-23-06 | 10:06 AM
GrdnRxR
Intermediate

Default Front plate

RX-7,

California Vehicle Code requires you have a front and rear license plate....
Old 08-23-06 | 10:20 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PaJaHa1
Interesting.. Is this in the real manual? If so I have ammunition to go to the dealer with.
It should be, because I found it first in there.

Now, did you have to mention "Toyota yellow lights"? Now, you are putting DLR doubts into my head too

Regarding your "sketchy night time activities", I think your dashboard lights in a car bouncing up'n'down with fogged up windows parked in a back alley will give it away
Old 08-23-06 | 11:09 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

I'm on the fence on the DRL issue. I don't particularly care for the looks of them - But they do make your car more visible to people who might pull out in front of you or cut you off in traffic. Anybody know if cars with HID low AND high beams have DRL's? The ES350 has HID's on low beams only.
Old 08-23-06 | 11:17 AM
PaJaHa1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by twister
It should be, because I found it first in there.

Now, did you have to mention "Toyota yellow lights"? Now, you are putting DLR doubts into my head too

Regarding your "sketchy night time activities", I think your dashboard lights in a car bouncing up'n'down with fogged up windows parked in a back alley will give it away
Damn, if only I had known that when I was at the dealer. Why did they have to lie to me and tell me it couldn't be done? How hard could it be to change a setting on the computer??

Quick Reply: Front license plate, necessary?