ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Wipers Rock My ES350 Back & Forth

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-06, 09:49 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bob - I thought about your post the other day and I can confirm that having the wipers on fast speed with my vehicle does indeed rock the car side to side slightly. Is it annoying? I'm not sure as I have the wipers on Auto most of the time, so it rarely if ever moves fast unless I'm doing high speed into rain. I'm sure if you're in Florida though or some other really rainy area it might be annoying.

I've also had the experience of stopping on a ~30% uphill road waiting to turn left across traffic. Cars coming down the road towards me were doing 60-80km/h and moved within 1 foot of my car. When this happened, my vehicle did 'move' around as it gets buffeted by their turbulence. That is the only time I've noticed it though as most roads here are wide or divided.
Old 09-30-06, 12:09 AM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
Good advice to proceed with caution as I ended up feeling I should allow more time before rushing into any other vehicle, that and a misunderstanding over price increase for leather and 6 CD when it should have been priced that way all along instead of MB tex and single CD.

I had been thinking C280, prior owned a C240 and never had any issues with it so felt comfortable about a C280. When the pricing changed and my prior honesty about issues with the Lexus came into play to a degree, I nicely declined and said I'd think about it all which is how I felt, feel. I think they are rethinking their thinking too but am now feeling like some time away from having to make such a decision is in order.

Glad to read you have your checklist and I hope you find the one intended for you is absent issues, in which case it would be a keeper for sure. You may have to alow time for any trasnsmission issues to surface but then it seems, as you are aware, they will replace them if need be.

The Lexus AC kicks MB AC rear big time, that you will be very pleased with.
If you are looking at a C-class, I would wait a while if I were you. The current C-class is at the end of it's lifespan and they are coming out with a new one very soon. I believe I have seen spy photos somewhere.
Old 09-30-06, 06:41 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by wanderer99
Bob - I thought about your post the other day and I can confirm that having the wipers on fast speed with my vehicle does indeed rock the car side to side slightly. Is it annoying? I'm not sure as I have the wipers on Auto most of the time, so it rarely if ever moves fast unless I'm doing high speed into rain. I'm sure if you're in Florida though or some other really rainy area it might be annoying.

I've also had the experience of stopping on a ~30% uphill road waiting to turn left across traffic. Cars coming down the road towards me were doing 60-80km/h and moved within 1 foot of my car. When this happened, my vehicle did 'move' around as it gets buffeted by their turbulence. That is the only time I've noticed it though as most roads here are wide or divided.
Wanderer,
I had to use loaner, ES350 with 4,000 miles on it, drove it out in a rainstorm and noticed right away with wipers on high, NO rocking as my car. The Lexus FTS had no comment when I pointed that out after he claimed mine was normal, normal for ES350 to rock with wipers and his wife's Lexus Rx is worse then mine. No comment either when I stated many owners here on Cl also said their's do not do this to their vehicle.

It's just normal for my car it seems.

I am so tired of being told my car is normal with all it's defects and really tired of the no comment when you point out other cars do not do the things mine does so how could both be normal.

No comment made about cold started test drive car not knocking and tapping, just my car is normal.

No comment on wipers, just normal for my car to rock with them on high.

No comment on wind noise issue where many don't have this, just normal for my car to have it and it is warmly called buffeting not excessive wind noise.

I could go on, but you see the pattern.
Old 09-30-06, 06:53 AM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

I can see the dealers point about saying its normal. Unless it really stands out to them, they'll say its within tolerances. Of course, if they've got another car that has issues and that's all they have to compare, then for them it is normal. Customers who have no probs with their cars won't come back in and complain, so they can't compare to those 'good' cars either.

I don't know what to suggest on this one. If the dealer could reproduce and confirm its an issue, what could they do about it?
Old 09-30-06, 07:12 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by wanderer99
I can see the dealers point about saying its normal. Unless it really stands out to them, they'll say its within tolerances. Of course, if they've got another car that has issues and that's all they have to compare, then for them it is normal. Customers who have no probs with their cars won't come back in and complain, so they can't compare to those 'good' cars either.

I don't know what to suggest on this one. If the dealer could reproduce and confirm its an issue, what could they do about it?
They had their own loaner that did not do this, and it was not the dealer who said it is normal for it to rock, in fact when i listed that the dealer was perplexed it could be doing it.

It was the Lexus field inspector who told me it is normal for wipers to rock an ES350, even though the loaner does not do it and even though many on here have replied to me that their vehicle does not do it.

I do not get stuck in commute traffic and certainly not in a rainstorm, but if I did and had to crawl along at a snail's pace in a lasting, heavy rain, it is bad enough as though to get you sea sick and no I'm not exaggerating. His wife's RX, the field tech's, according to him, is worse than mine, so something is up with way they have chosen to include them on some vehicles.