ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Aftermarket 'car navigation' GPS; who has what and how do you like it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-06, 11:17 AM
GeorgeS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket 'car navigation' GPS; who has what and how do you like it?

I am looking for a (removable) GPS for my new ES 350, and there is a dizzying array of brands, models, and features out there.

What do you folks use?

George
Old 08-28-06, 12:45 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I take is as you didn't get NAV with yours? Me neither, and heard an earful on this forum already LOL!!! Anyway, you can do the search for all the pros and cons of this new gen NAV...

I have raised the question about removable NAV before, and never heard back any replies. I take it as majority either have NAV with their ES350 or doesn't need it. Our other "traveling" car doesn't have NAV, so I am looking for a portable NAV myself to swap between the cars. So far, everybody raves about TomTom Go system as the top performer, and I'm leaning more toward it. You should definitely check out cnet.com for all the detailed reviews and comparison.

Where in NJ did you get your ES350? If in Central part, did you get yours at Ray Catena?
Old 08-28-06, 12:55 PM
GeorgeS
Driver School Candidate

Hi, twister. No, I declined the Lexus NAV package, for two reasons: one, as I intend to have this car for a while, I did not want to be 'stuck' with an in-dash NAV system destined to obsolesce; and, two: cost.

I've been checking cnet.com and a few GPS forums, and am leaning toward a Garmin c340 or a Magellan RoadMate 700. I want to read the specs a little more, and see if I can determine if one or the other is easier to run/update than the other.

I got my ES350 at Lexus of Englewood. They are only 13 miles from my home.

George
Old 08-28-06, 01:44 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi GeorgeS

I drive a '93 ES300 so needless to say, it doesn't have a factory nav system either (was in-car GPS even a reality way back then?) However I do have a mobile GPS system made by Pharos http://www.pharosgps.com which I have linked to my iPAQ PDA. It is bluetooth enabled and runs on a rechargeable battery pack so no unsightly wires to deal with. I usually place the GPS receiver in the back window area of the car between the rear speakers and have my PDA in a vent-type mount just to the left of the steering column. Works quite well for me.

One word of caution regardng removable GPS units: If you buy one with a windshield suction cup mount, NEVER leave the mount attached to the window when exiting the car, even if you've taken the GPS unit with you. Doing that is a red flag for thieves who see the mount and assume the GPS unit is hidden under a seat or in your glove box. It is sometimes a PITA to remove the mount all the time but better than replacing a smashed window.

Last edited by Lexucan; 08-28-06 at 01:57 PM.
Old 08-28-06, 02:02 PM
Carbsumer
Driver School Candidate

I just ordered an ES350 for my wife, and got the nav system with it. I've used portable navs in other cars, though. Obviously, I decided I was sick of portable navs and wanted a built-in unit in the new car, cost be damned. I use the Garmin C550 in my XC90:

http://www.garmin.com/products/sp550/

The C550 has many of the same features of the ES 350's, including reading street names and bluetooth compatibility. It'll also play MP3s like an iPod (hook it into your Aux in port). This particular model supports live traffic updates, something the ES 350 doesn't have. Of course, the screen is tiny by comparison, it doesn't have a backup camera, you can't use it to browse your CDs or radio stations, and it doesn't link into your speedo, so it's less accurate (it relies soly on GPS sat signals).

Garmin has products in different sizes and prices, though, just try to pick one of the "new" ones. Some are designed to be car-only (like the StreetPilot series), and others can be used in a car or on foot (like the Nuvi, good in cities like Boston or NYC).

http://www.garmin.com/mobile/products.html

Then, head over to proclipusa to get a mounting bracket. Most GPS' come with an awful suction-cup bracket for sticking to your windshield. This will work much better:

http://www.proclipusa.com/?sectionpa...d=&p_year=2007

Pair that car-specific bracket with a device-specific bracket and you have a solid mount. Here's the bracket I use for my C550:

http://www.proclipusa.com/?sectionpa...oryid=&p_year=

Buy a mount set for each of your cars, and you can easily move the nav around.
Old 08-28-06, 06:23 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

wouldn't it be better to mount it on the dash then? Have some sort of cover and cover the GPS + mount. Make it large so it doesn't show the outline of the nav system. Besides, if I do get one, I probably won't mount it on the windshield since I do have a custom made sunshade so it may interfere.
Old 08-28-06, 06:36 PM
jeffofla
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GeorgeS
I did not want to be 'stuck' with an in-dash NAV system destined to obsolesce
Which is why Lexus comes out with an annual update DVD. I have both the 2002 and 2007 ES. Both have the NAV. The 2002 is not the Generation 5, but it is fully functional and uses the same data as the 2007 because I bought a replacement DVD at the same time I purchased my 2007.
Old 08-28-06, 06:51 PM
wstr75
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2006 RX 400h with built-in navigation, a 2002 RL with built-in navigation and a Garmin 2620 StreetPilot for the company truck. My GPS user happiness rating is: #1 Garmin 2620, #2 RL, and a distant #3 400h. Why? The Garmin has a remote control. No fat, fumbling fingers, looking down from the road, cursing out loud because the gps is making you re-type the address several times, etc. The RL gps is easy to use, but still is lots more trouble than the Garmin. The 400h gps is a PITA because: 1) you have to stop the car and 2) the gps system is not as intuitive as the Acura. For example, today I drove up from Maryland to Northern, NJ in the truck and continually used the remote to query the Garmin about alternate routes, restaurants and shopping without having to take my eye off the road (the Street Pilot is on the dash).

Still, having a navigation system permanently in place ready-to-go and theft-resistant mounted in the dash (factory system) is nice, too. Just wish it came with a remote control. The new StreetPilot 2820 has bluetooth phone and also XM capability.
wstr75
Old 08-28-06, 06:53 PM
cocopops
Pole Position

jeff.. how much is the replacement/update dvd? Just trying to get a feel for the cost. Thanks.
Old 08-28-06, 07:03 PM
jeffofla
Pole Position

This is one where you want to shop around. I think I paid $280 for mine, which I still think is a rip-off. Some dealers want $350 or more. I'd also check with some of the sponsors here on the forum.
Old 08-28-06, 09:02 PM
cyke
Driver School Candidate

GeorgeS,

I have no nav and for the same reasons. I use Garmin Nuvi 350. Very portable and has other very useful features. You can easily bring it with you when you park your car outside (mall, restaurant, stadium, etc.) for a long time, travel by air out of state or to Europe. Good reviews in amazon.com.

cyke
Old 08-29-06, 12:50 PM
GeorgeS
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, everyone! I'll have to check the gpspassion forums to see which of the units mentioned have the best after-sales support.

George
Old 08-29-06, 02:51 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jeffofla
This is one where you want to shop around. I think I paid $280 for mine, which I still think is a rip-off. Some dealers want $350 or more. I'd also check with some of the sponsors here on the forum.
Jeff do you think the updates are necessary every year or once every 5 years or so? Because the Nav has so many restaurant names in there, I figure many places wont be around in a few years.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 08-29-06 at 06:07 PM. Reason: http://www.clublexus.com/forums/faq.php?faq=forum_rules#faq_prohibited_topics
Old 08-29-06, 03:21 PM
jeffofla
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kaius88
Jeff do you think the updates are necessary every year or once every 5 years or so? Because the Nav has so many restaurant names in there, I figure many places wont be around in a few years. Can these DVDs be accessed by owner or by service person only?
I don't think yearly replacements are necessary. The information seems to trail by a year or two, sometimes more. But I bought 2 DVDs for my 2002 ES I still have and I suspect I will replace the 2007 in 2008 or 2009. There have been significant map changes (I live in Toluca Lake in the San Fernando Valley of LA, for example) where I have noticed they now incorporate new roads/streets/freeways etc.. Also when the DVDs came out, there were only 1 million POIs. Now there are 5-7 Million (can't remember the exact number). Either way, don't pay a dealer to install it. You can easily do it yourself.

Ultimately, the frequency will depend on personal preference. But even if you could afford them, I think yearly is too much.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 08-29-06 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Quote of software piracy comment
Old 08-29-06, 05:44 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

I don't know whether you guys knew this, but a few years ago when Lexus started installing NAV systems in their new cars they gave you 1 free DVD disc that they would install when they became available for the next year! They stopped this practice around 2002 since they couldn't afford this added expense. LOL

Quick Reply: Aftermarket 'car navigation' GPS; who has what and how do you like it?