ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

What exactly do they do @ 5000 service?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-06, 04:24 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What exactly do they do @ 5000 service?

I know they'll change your oil and rotate your tires, but how careful are they at inpsecting the bottom side of your car? Can they detect misalignment of axles, and road debris damage? The reason why i ask is that I go through some pretty rough streets everyday, and I would be most comforted knowing that any damage can be detected via inspection by service people. I think a good visual check is good enuff for me. I dont want them pulling off the "Jiffy Lube stunt".
Old 08-28-06, 04:45 PM
rx7_fan
Driver School Candidate

Hey good question, also how much does it cost for 5k service? I hope it's at a reasonable price or I may have to find a good mechanic.
Old 08-28-06, 04:52 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rx7_fan
Hey good question, also how much does it cost for 5k service? I hope it's at a reasonable price or I may have to find a good mechanic.
The 5K service is free at your Lexus dealership. It's one of the perks of being a Lexus owner.
Old 09-05-06, 03:14 AM
ZaKapitan
Driver School Candidate

I just got my 5K service about 2 weeks ago... scarily enough, I hit 6000 before I'd owned the car for two months...

All they do at the 5K is change the oil and top off your fluids. It's free. The 10K service is the same thing, and it costs about $160.

Personally, I think it's a ripoff. I had to leave my car there for 4 hours, and jiffy lube does the exact same job for $80, if you go for fully synthetic oil.

I changed the oil in the car at 500 miles at Jiffy lube, and they did an excellent job. They topped off the fluids with factory-spec everything, and the car was smooooth...

After I took the car in for the 5K service, I noticed it ran a lot louder and had less power. I'm guessing it was the conventional oil they used. It's loud to the point that I think I'm going to take it in.

And as a word to the wise, I know people pay a lot more for their car, and sometimes feel like the engine in it requires any special maintenance, but don't forget it's the same Engine as the Camry... So $160 for an oil change at 10K is rediculous...
Old 09-06-06, 09:58 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$160 oil change?!? Our dealership charges only $120 and every couple of month they send out special-deal coupons, often for $55 oil change. After my 5k service (probably in 3 month or so), I will only go to get Lexus oil change for that discounted amount (it will justify a free car wash and a possible loaner for a day or a free lunch/snacks while waiting). Otherwise, I spoke to my Toyota dealer where I get our Highlander serviced (right next door to Lexus), and they are fully certified for every scheduled Lexus ES350 maintanance service since its almost the same as Camry. And, at Toyota, the same oil change is $32.
Old 09-06-06, 03:45 PM
cocopops
Pole Position

Hey twister. So your toyota dealer is willing to service your ES350?? I have heard of stories about dealers being told to direct people bringing in Lexus for ervices to the lexus dealers.

Zakapitan.. which jiffy lube did you go to? I dont know if you have read several threads here on jiffy lube regarding their shoddiness. Though $160 for an oil change is a complete rip-off. I think somewhere along the line of $50-70 is still acceptable.
Old 09-06-06, 04:15 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by cocopops
Hey twister. So your toyota dealer is willing to service your ES350?? I have heard of stories about dealers being told to direct people bringing in Lexus for ervices to the lexus dealers.

Zakapitan.. which jiffy lube did you go to? I dont know if you have read several threads here on jiffy lube regarding their shoddiness. Though $160 for an oil change is a complete rip-off. I think somewhere along the line of $50-70 is still acceptable.
Jiffy Lube service varies by location/ownership. There is one that we've used for both personal and company cars and have been satisfied. If you shop around, ask friends or neighbors and find one you like, they are very convenient, do good work and offer BIG savings over taking your car to the Lexus dealer for routine service. The key is to get some recommendations.
Old 09-06-06, 05:05 PM
rx7_fan
Driver School Candidate

Everyone ever heard of the Jiffy Lube Scandal thing that went on, where they just collected the customers' money and did nothing to the car? No oil change, top off, nothing! After i read that, I was afraid to go there.
Old 09-06-06, 11:56 PM
cocopops
Pole Position

Same feeling as rx7_fan. We should start a list of good and bad jiffy lube places so everyone can save some money doing routine services, while avoiding the hellish places.
Old 09-08-06, 11:30 AM
tgara
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cocopops
Same feeling as rx7_fan. We should start a list of good and bad jiffy lube places so everyone can save some money doing routine services, while avoiding the hellish places.
Why is it that people who have money to spend on an Lexus always seem to go for the cheapest gas, the cheapest oil change places, the cheapest tires, etc. Why not just go to the dealer for the oil changes and inspections? You bought a luxury car so you should be able to afford to maintain it!
Old 09-08-06, 11:53 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Maybe that's why "people who have the money to spend on a Lexus", have that money to spend on one?? Why overspend for routine service, when it's really not necessary, if there are good alternatives. Think the people doing oil changes at a Lexus dealership are their best technicians? Nope, probably trainees or people who just do the routine services. To each, his/her own though.

Last edited by LexBob2; 09-08-06 at 11:59 AM.
Old 09-08-06, 12:04 PM
ckon
Rookie

Being frugal is good, but being cheap will often eventually bite you in the butt. Oil changes can be pretty reasonably priced at your local Toyota dealer, so it's not necessary to pay the high rates at the Lexus dealer.

I've been dealing with the same Toyota dealer for almost twenty-five years and even though we now live over twenty miles from them, we still go there for our oil changes and most other maintenence. We'll also go there for non-warranty service like oil changes for the ES.

Here's why: Toyota is usually very likely to provide out-of-warranty services when the service records at the dealer show the maintenence being done at their facility. We've also had our dealer go to bat for us to have Toyota either pay for OOW services completely or at least share some of the cost a number of times, sometimes even years after warranty is expired. Loyalty has gone both ways.

It's definitely worth the peace of mind to have the services done at least at a Toyota dealer, if not the Lexus dealer.
Old 09-08-06, 12:58 PM
dreyfus
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tgara
Why is it that people who have money to spend on an Lexus always seem to go for the cheapest gas, the cheapest oil change places, the cheapest tires, etc. Why not just go to the dealer for the oil changes and inspections? You bought a luxury car so you should be able to afford to maintain it!
Just because you have the money doesn't mean you want to be overcharged. If you think that having "spare" money means you shouldn't be careful how you spend it then by all means please send me $10 (just because you can).

While we should properly maintain our cars, there's no point in throwing money away. Years ago there was a rear window part that was identical in two separate GM models - a Chevy and a Cadillac. If you went through your Cadillac parts department you'd pay over double what the same window cost from Chevrolet. So should the Cadillac owner pay the higher price for a "genuine" Cadillac window just because he can?

So long as your car is being properly serviced, I say go for the lowest cost. Don't cut corners, but still spend wisely. I plan to do all my oil changes ('cept the first one) myself.
Old 09-08-06, 05:20 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is my feeling---putting money aside, I would rather have my car worked on by a tech who works strictly on that particular make. So, for the Lexus, a Toyota or Lexus tech only. If it is a Ford, then it goes to the Ford or L/M dealer. They are specialized on those cars and know them like the back of their hand. As to general repair shops, they are not specialized on certain makes and can't be up to date on all stats on all makes and models. Oil changes, you can go anywhere. I am talking about major repairs. Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-09-06, 07:25 AM
toneman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tgara
Surely you're not implying that those folks who go for the cheapest whatever are being "cheap", are you? Am I necessarily being really cheap if I go further than that and do my own oil changes instead of going to one of them "cheap" oil change places...or is it because at least I know for sure it'll get done right and cleanly (I've had service techs at dealerships not clean up spilled oil after having removed the oil filter, with the result being the familiar burnt oil smell wafting through the air vents)? I mean, if you are indeed implying that people are being cheap for doing so, then lemme ask you this--did you pay full MSRP on your ES...or did you shop around for the best deal?

Sure...you'll say that that's a different scenario since we're talking about savings hundreds--if not thousands--of dollars, but since we're talking about affordability here...if one can afford to purchase a luxury car, then one should put his/her money where his/her mouth is and pay MSRP for it. After all...what's a few thousand dollars on a highly-acclaimed luxury car such as the ES 350, right? If it's not worth paying MSRP for, then one shouldn't appear to come across as being snobbish by criticizing those who are trying to save some money by making reasonably-frugal choices.

Being "cheap" isn't taking your vehicle to one of those small-business auto repair shops for maintenance...it's when you choose to take shortcuts when it comes to vehicle maintenance (e.g., using substandard parts, having a unreputable place do your vehicle maintenance).

Last edited by toneman; 09-09-06 at 07:29 AM.

Quick Reply: What exactly do they do @ 5000 service?