ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Second car with transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-06, 08:04 PM
LAKUDZU
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Second car with transmission problems

This forum has been a great source of information regarding the ES. I really look forward to checking the site every day for news information, hints, and comments about this new vehicle. I really feel as if I know some of you very well after following the stories of your purchases and driving experiences.

I bought my PPlus ES in May. Approximately one month later, with 500 miles on my new ES, I fell victim to the transmission problem which required my vehicle to be replaced by Lexus. My dealer did such a good job (typical Lexus) that I didn't feel like I needed to add to the drama by posting a comment about my faulty transmission on this site. I guess this shows just how much respect I have for the Toyota/Lexus family.

My replacement vehicle was another PPlus, with 10 miles on it. Until last week, I had driven the car over 4000 miles with no really noticeable problems (except that the transmission didn't seem quite as smooth as my first vehicle). Last Sunday, while driving home from a golf tournament, I noticed a flare of the transmission at approximately 50 MPH. For some reason (possibly denial), I really didn't think that much of it until I slowed down for a curve and when I sped up, noticed the same thing again, but this time it happened during the shifts from both 3rd/4th and 4th/5th gears. Then later, when stopping at the first stop sign after noticing the flare happened between 1st/2nd, 2nd/3rd, 3rd/4th gear. For the next 70 miles (until I got home) it happened a total of 21 times (I logged the speeds and mileage which it occurred) in all gears, but primarily from 40 to 55 mph.

I called my Lexus dealer on Monday, drove the car to the dealership (mostly interstate, but still some shifting issues), got the head service tech in the car, and recreated the problem several times during a seven mile trip up the road. The dealer secured a loaner car for me, and told me they would need to contact Lexus corporate. A couple of days later, I was told by the service manager that my vehicle needed a new valve body assembly (just like my first car).

This is my fourth Lexus. I have also owned two Toyota's at one time managed a carrier service with a fleet 40 Toyota's. I can never remember having one powertrain issue with any of these vehicles (except for a downshift issue with my wife's RX330 which seems to have been fixed with a recent TSB). I really can't believe that I've actually had two cars since May that have needed transmission work. The service manager swears that they’ve only had four vehicles (out of 80 sold) with this issue. Two have been mine???

All along the process, the service manager (who I really like) has been asking what would make me happy and continue to be a Lexus customer. I have always felt like Lexus has been honestly concerned about my Lexus experience, and have really had no reason to think otherwise. But after he spoke with the service manager on Friday, it appears that "making it right" is just replacing a valve body assembly, offering me an extended warranty, and paying for my scheduled services for the first 30K.

After thinking about it this weekend, I'm really wondering if this is fair??? I mean, it would really be nice to at least make it to the first scheduled servicing, before experiencing a major problem with my Lexus. After all, dependability is the main reason I've been in the Toyota/Lexus family since 1978.

All things considered, I’ll probably never drive another vehicle other than Lexus, but I’m just wondering if I’m really making the right decision by accepting their offer (or if I should start looking for another make/model?).

Please let me know your thoughts. I'm returning to the dealership on Wednesday.

THX,
Old 08-28-06, 09:41 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

The transmission problem is not that common, but we all have heard people with their experiences. Early on I think Lexus was willing to replace the vehicle, but lately, I think they are only willing to fix the problem. I think if they fix the problem, give you free extended warranty and free servicing before 30k mile, its really the best they can do short of replacing the car.
Old 08-28-06, 09:44 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmmm... this is a tough one. I feel for you having to go through this twice. I also pity the dealer as they've been provided defective vehicles from Lexus Corp to sell, and unluckily - somehow - you've ended up with two of them. The dealer has to make this 'right' with you first, then work with Lexus second. Difficult situation.

I don't think you'd be out-of-line if you wanted to hand back the car and choose another Lexus model. If you're on your second vehicle already, then what are the chances your third ES would have a problem? Almost Zero I'd think. But then again, you probably had that same zero chance of having that problem on your second car. The fact that you're posting about it is a good thing, and it also means that you're probably not the only one that this has happened to. How many of the thousands of ES owners look and post here? Not many.

Should you be compensated by a vehicle upgrade or similar? I don't know. I guess you can only speak what you honestly feel to your dealer, get on a conference call with Lexus Corp and tell them what you want to make you happy. I wouldn't hold back on this -be up front and honest about what you want.
Old 08-29-06, 04:13 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do not understand your approach to loyalty if it means having hid a serious transmission problem with your first car from the rest of us and only post when it happens again.
Being loyal does not mean you have to hide experiences.
In my case, my car has both an engine problem and this transmission problem, along with other issues and if it had not been for this forum the dealer service manager might have had me temporarily bamboozled on some of the issues but I found this site where people are simply direct and honest about their vehicles and more important to me, some have genuinely concerned dealer service people, not devious bamboozlers who attempt to rob you of your new car experience with their deceptions.
I hope from now on you continue to share rather than just take from this forum because it does help others when you share your experiences.
If you just have the transmission flaring and it is only a valve body involved, I'd say let them replace the valve body if you also do not have engine problems, excessive wind noise, spiking RPM when breaking and many other issues your car could have.
Old 08-29-06, 01:56 PM
PatB
Driver School Candidate

LAKUDZU, I'm sorry to hear about your problems. Two weeks ago I returned my Ruby/Lt. Grey ES350. build date 05/06, to my dealership. It has not been returned yet. I've called once and was told that the parts are not in, and I stopped by on Saturday and was told one part has still not arrived. This is my first Lexus and it has been such a treat for me to own one. I'm disappointed that things have not gone well, but extremely hopeful that Lexus will make everything right. I've been told that it is a transmission problem. The service personel explained some things to me, but I'm sure I can't quote them accurately. I think he said it's the box underneath the transmission??? Does that make sense? Something about ball bearings not opening and closing the valves properly???

Anyway, I know how I feel, and in your situation, I think they probably owe you many nice things! The people on this board know much more than I do about what those things can and should be! Ultimately, it's your relationship with the dealer that will be most important to you.
Old 08-29-06, 02:33 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PatB
LAKUDZU, I'm sorry to hear about your problems. Two weeks ago I returned my Ruby/Lt. Grey ES350. build date 05/06, to my dealership.
A May 06 build with tranny issues????? wow... sounds like they are appearing on newer builds too? Mine is also 05/06, with 1300 miles on it. No issues as far as I can tell *knock on wood*. As long as the warranty covers it, i'm not concerned. If they cant fix it after 3 tries, then they have to buy it back. I doubt it'll ever go to that extent....after all it is a LEXUS and you pay a premium to get things corrected! Now go and milk your freebies! THIS IS NOT SCAMMING! You should get what you are entitled to for your inconvenience folks!

Oh...btw, the birthday gift movie tix are for Mann theaters and they only cover $7 per ticket.... I'm like "that doesnt even cover Matinee!" Oh well... They are selling a polo-style shirt with the Lexus emblem at the dealership for $99.99. See if you can get that for free....
Old 08-29-06, 11:25 PM
savon
Rookie

Originally Posted by LAKUDZU
This forum has been a great source of information regarding the ES. I really look forward to checking the site every day for news information, hints, and comments about this new vehicle. I really feel as if I know some of you very well after following the stories of your purchases and driving experiences.

I bought my PPlus ES in May. Approximately one month later, with 500 miles on my new ES, I fell victim to the transmission problem which required my vehicle to be replaced by Lexus. My dealer did such a good job (typical Lexus) that I didn't feel like I needed to add to the drama by posting a comment about my faulty transmission on this site. I guess this shows just how much respect I have for the Toyota/Lexus family.

My replacement vehicle was another PPlus, with 10 miles on it. Until last week, I had driven the car over 4000 miles with no really noticeable problems (except that the transmission didn't seem quite as smooth as my first vehicle). Last Sunday, while driving home from a golf tournament, I noticed a flare of the transmission at approximately 50 MPH. For some reason (possibly denial), I really didn't think that much of it until I slowed down for a curve and when I sped up, noticed the same thing again, but this time it happened during the shifts from both 3rd/4th and 4th/5th gears. Then later, when stopping at the first stop sign after noticing the flare happened between 1st/2nd, 2nd/3rd, 3rd/4th gear. For the next 70 miles (until I got home) it happened a total of 21 times (I logged the speeds and mileage which it occurred) in all gears, but primarily from 40 to 55 mph.

I called my Lexus dealer on Monday, drove the car to the dealership (mostly interstate, but still some shifting issues), got the head service tech in the car, and recreated the problem several times during a seven mile trip up the road. The dealer secured a loaner car for me, and told me they would need to contact Lexus corporate. A couple of days later, I was told by the service manager that my vehicle needed a new valve body assembly (just like my first car).

This is my fourth Lexus. I have also owned two Toyota's at one time managed a carrier service with a fleet 40 Toyota's. I can never remember having one powertrain issue with any of these vehicles (except for a downshift issue with my wife's RX330 which seems to have been fixed with a recent TSB). I really can't believe that I've actually had two cars since May that have needed transmission work. The service manager swears that they’ve only had four vehicles (out of 80 sold) with this issue. Two have been mine???

All along the process, the service manager (who I really like) has been asking what would make me happy and continue to be a Lexus customer. I have always felt like Lexus has been honestly concerned about my Lexus experience, and have really had no reason to think otherwise. But after he spoke with the service manager on Friday, it appears that "making it right" is just replacing a valve body assembly, offering me an extended warranty, and paying for my scheduled services for the first 30K.

After thinking about it this weekend, I'm really wondering if this is fair??? I mean, it would really be nice to at least make it to the first scheduled servicing, before experiencing a major problem with my Lexus. After all, dependability is the main reason I've been in the Toyota/Lexus family since 1978.

All things considered, I’ll probably never drive another vehicle other than Lexus, but I’m just wondering if I’m really making the right decision by accepting their offer (or if I should start looking for another make/model?).

Please let me know your thoughts. I'm returning to the dealership on Wednesday.

THX,
I would have asked for at least 60k (or 4 years) free service and warranty for any part. What else can you do? sell the car? you will lose money. Even if you sell it without loss, I dont think for the money you have paid there is a better car than es350 in the market now. Unfortunately lexus (toyota) has screwed up big time on es350. If you check forums for all other lexus models, es350 is the only one that transmissions have failed on brand new cars. They say it is only on early built models and they have fixed the problem ( mine is 04/06 with no problem yet). I am skeptical about it. Only time will tell if they really have fixed the problem. They are trying to become number #1, so they have compromised on design and quality becuase of deadlines (there was an article about it on front page of wallstreet journal last friday). I hope they stay number #2, we know what happens when they become #1. Just look at GM.
Old 08-30-06, 10:03 AM
itsme4g63
Driver

Free upgrade to gs350 haha, tell them thats what would make you happy.
Old 08-30-06, 10:10 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Replacing the valve body should be easy, lift car, remove bolts on trans oil pan, then remove bolts holding valve body on and the reverse order with new valve body and add fluid car should be fine no worse then an oil change.

Seems like the only reason Lexus took back ES350 was cause they had to figure out what the exact problem was, you need the entire car for that, after the problem is solved and the fix is issued they don't need the car, so keep in mind this is not a Transmission replacement.

As for what would make you happy, any hot girls working in the place just point to 1
Old 08-30-06, 10:46 PM
Bash4
Driver School Candidate

If it was me I would make the dealer get you a nice price on a 06 GS.
Old 08-31-06, 05:13 PM
PatB
Driver School Candidate

Got my car back yesterday from the transmission repair. I named my car Ruby, and I sure missed her for the past two weeks! Here's what repairs/replacements were made: Body Assy. transm, O ring, Transaxle gasket, another gasket, and Valvo maxlife. Don't know much about what these things are or what they do exactly. Of course, everything was covered under warranty. The service manager assured me that I would love the new feel of driving and that everything was fixed. I haven't had a chance to take her on a highway yet, only local roads. The one thing I have noticed so far is that she accelerates much more aggressively, which is good, I think. I'll get her out on the highways this weekend and see how she feels. Hope you all have a great weekend!

2007 ES350
Ruby Red/Lt. Gry
PP, Nav, etc.
Old 09-01-06, 02:18 AM
LAKUDZU
Driver School Candidate

THX for the great comments/recommendations. Sorry I haven't had a chance to respond.

I went by the dealer today and was told that they just received the parts and would try to install it tomorrow, but it might be Monday. They told me to hang on to the loaner 'till next week if I needed to. We're heading out of town for the weekend and I guess I'll take them up on their offer (I'm in a RX 400h). By the way, you may be surprised to learn that the 400h I've been driving around for the past week gets the exact same gas mileage as the wife's RX330 (go figure...).

Hey, it would be sweet if I could figure out how to get 400h's CVT transmission into my ES...

Pat B, sounds like Ruby might be OK now... Please keep me posted on any changes you might notice as a result of performing the TSB.

THX AGAIN,
Old 09-07-06, 04:30 PM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

FYI, our 2nd replacement Camry transmission just blew today with 1800 miles. The first camry went out at 300-400 miles. We are now not going to own another Camry. Maybe a Avalon but obviously Toyota has major issues with the trannys in these cars. See my post under Car Talk.