Rattles

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-06, 07:08 PM
riley2620
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Out of alignment

Hi Macklin

The dealer checked the alignment on the car and it was out of spec. They wanted to charge me $99.00 but I told them that I felt it wasn't fair considering the car had less then 400 miles. After having the car for 8 days (for the various problems I described) they decided not to charge me. Too add injury to insult they lost my keys for 30+ minutes while I was waiting and brought the car to me dirty!

I'm having the balance checked this weekend and the tires inspected as well. We'll see what they find.
Old 08-31-06, 08:44 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am sure that the tire pressure is supposed to be a Dealer Delivery check item, just like removing the plastic on the seats, hood, etc, taking it for a test drive to ensure it drives OK, has no rattles, etc, before they give the car to you.

Its interesting that multiple CL members report (me included) that their tire pressures were all over the place post delivery.
Old 08-31-06, 08:49 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by riley2620
The dealer checked the alignment on the car and it was out of spec. They wanted to charge me $99.00 but I told them that I felt it wasn't fair considering the car had less then 400 miles.
What? Sounds like this dealer is out of spec to me. I'm sure Lexus Corp are reading your description and doing this

The name of the Lexus game is to keep you happy and satisfied. If your dealer is nickel and diming you on an alignment problem at 400 miles, that doesn't look good for a long term relationship.
Old 08-31-06, 09:31 PM
ckon
Rookie

Originally Posted by wanderer99

Its interesting that multiple CL members report (me included) that their tire pressures were all over the place post delivery.

FWIW, ours were 10 to 15 pounds overinflated at delivery also.
Old 09-01-06, 05:40 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

The dealer told me the tires are overinflated before the car gets shipped, to prevent flat spots on the tires while the car is in transit - Who knows? What ticked me off is rather than just saying "sorry, our fault", the dealer tried to BS me by saying 40 lbs all around is OK. They just didn't check them.
Old 09-01-06, 09:39 AM
sk72
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PDG810810
I have 1500 miles on mine already. I do have some rattles in the passenger and driver door area that has something to do with the windows. If I lower them about 1/8 of an inch it seems to go away. I'll have the dealership check this out on my first visit (LPS setting)
My only other complaint is some minor vibration above 70 MPH on the highway. Could be out of round tire(s) or balance issue.
Other that that no complaints so far. Very impressed with the power of this car. Huge change from my ES 300.
I have this EXACT issue with my ES330.. darn, I have brought it in twice to the dealership and the dealer could not replicate the problem... if I lower the windows 1/8th the noise completely dissappears.. this is very annoying when you want to drive without your radio turned on... pls let me know what was the fix for this, so I could recommend this to my local dealer..
Old 09-02-06, 09:04 AM
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sk72
I have this EXACT issue with my ES330.. darn, I have brought it in twice to the dealership and the dealer could not replicate the problem... if I lower the windows 1/8th the noise completely dissappears.. this is very annoying when you want to drive without your radio turned on... pls let me know what was the fix for this, so I could recommend this to my local dealer..

I have the same problem with my ES350. There is an annoying rattle coming from somewhere around the B pillar that stops if I either press on the window or lower the window a little bit. I have had the car in to the dealership three times now (a total of 11 days over the 8 weeks since I bought the car, for the rattle and other issues) and they still can't fix it. Took a ride with the service tech on Wednesday and he could clearly hear it. They told me Thursday afternoon that they still can't remedy it and have an engineer from Lexus coming in to look at it. Don't know when he/she is supposed to be coming in to town, but assuming I get my car back by next Wednesday, that will make for a total of 14 days the car has been at the dealership.

I am so very disappointed with this situation. I am contemplating asking either Lexus or the dealership to make good (i.e. some sort of compensation), but I'm not sure how to approach the situation, or what to ask them to do for me. Of course I have a loaner, a nice RX, but it's not my ES350 - that's my main gripe - and the loaner doesn't have a lot of the bells and whistles I am paying through the nose for.
Old 09-02-06, 10:02 AM
lds
Driver School Candidate

I also have rattles in my car. Sometimes the speaker grills on top of the dashboard rattle, so I push down on them and they stop ... but then come back again. I also have a different sounding rattle -- it sounds more like a window that is loose, but it is coming from the dashboard near the windshield. I always hear it in the morning, but rarely hear it at other times of the day. Today I finally figured it out ... I can hear it when it is a cloudy day or in the morning because my car was in the garage, but when the sun heats up the car, I don't hear it.

I also feel like the engine is idling different now than it used to. There seems to be a ticking sort of sound like something is loose. (I know nothing about cars) I have close to 3000 miles.
Old 09-02-06, 10:45 AM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

I mentioned this a while ago - my dashtop speaker grilles also 'pop' or creak sometimes in my car. This is with the audio system off. Pusing down on them does seem to help. It seems to me its related to heat. If its a hot day outside (and cool in the car) then it will pop and creak maybe twice per minute until the dash gets hot from the sun. It's a really loud pop too, and it is annoying.
Old 09-03-06, 12:19 AM
savon
Rookie

Originally Posted by 477030
I have the same problem with my ES350. There is an annoying rattle coming from somewhere around the B pillar that stops if I either press on the window or lower the window a little bit. I have had the car in to the dealership three times now (a total of 11 days over the 8 weeks since I bought the car, for the rattle and other issues) and they still can't fix it. Took a ride with the service tech on Wednesday and he could clearly hear it. They told me Thursday afternoon that they still can't remedy it and have an engineer from Lexus coming in to look at it. Don't know when he/she is supposed to be coming in to town, but assuming I get my car back by next Wednesday, that will make for a total of 14 days the car has been at the dealership.

I am so very disappointed with this situation. I am contemplating asking either Lexus or the dealership to make good (i.e. some sort of compensation), but I'm not sure how to approach the situation, or what to ask them to do for me. Of course I have a loaner, a nice RX, but it's not my ES350 - that's my main gripe - and the loaner doesn't have a lot of the bells and whistles I am paying through the nose for.
Can you let us know if they were able to fix window rattling problem. I have the same problem which they were not able to fix it first time. I am taking my car for the first service this month and want to demand that they fix it. However, if I know that there is no fix for this issue I am going to ask for some kind of compensation. Besides, I dont want them to open the door panel again. I dont think there are a lot of qualified techs working in my dealership. If they dont know what tire pressure the car should have, how can you trust them to fix more complicated things.
Old 09-03-06, 06:42 AM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Default Windows Rattles

For those with this problem, whick window(s) are affected, and where around the window is the noise coming from?

For me, I had my front passenger side window looked at as there was a rattle around the point where the lower door met the window. My dealer fixed this on their first attempt.

Two days later a rattle started on the front passenger side again, although smaller than before. It seemed to come from the rear lower window area. Another visit to the dealer fixed this. Turned out to be the seat belt retaining mechanism behind the trim panel immediately next to the rear of the front window.

Currently if I drive 70mph+ my driver side front window rattles sometimes from the top rear of the window. It didn't do this before. But then again, I have been 'shimmed' to fix some of the wind noise at the front of the window, and this puts pressure on the window and pushes it out just a little.

Rear passenger windows seem rock solid.
Old 09-04-06, 08:53 AM
Driver School Candidate

For those with this problem, whick window(s) are affected, and where around the window is the noise coming from?
In my case, it is coming from the rear of the drivers-side window. It sounds like it is coming from just below the top of the seat belt. I doubt it is anything to do with the belt, though, as pressing the window would hardly make a seat belt noise stop.

I'll let you know what the Lexus engineer says, once they've taken a look and (hopefully) fixed it. I've had the car eight weeks and it's been in the shop for 2 of those weeks in total. I'm disgusted , so the engineer had better come through. This is their third attempt - one more failure and it's a candidate for Lemon Law proceedings.

Last edited by 477030; 09-04-06 at 01:17 PM.
Old 09-09-06, 06:08 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

An update on the rattle noise coming from behind my rear seats. From my dealer report:

CONDITION: Check for rattle from rear parcel tray area. Rough or smooth.
CAUSE: R/T (Roadtest) and found rear trunk cover and trim rubbing on body.
CORRECTION: Repositioned and insulated trim from body.

The said they insulated things so it wouldn't rub or rattle. Seems to be mostly working. We'll see how it works in the next few weeks. Seems OK today.
Old 09-11-06, 06:35 AM
PaJaHa1
Pole Position

An update on the rattle noise coming from behind my rear seats. From my dealer report:

CONDITION: Check for rattle from rear parcel tray area. Rough or smooth.
CAUSE: R/T (Roadtest) and found rear trunk cover and trim rubbing on body.
CORRECTION: Repositioned and insulated trim from body.

The said they insulated things so it wouldn't rub or rattle. Seems to be mostly working. We'll see how it works in the next few weeks. Seems OK today.
I'm going in for this on Wednesday. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-11-06, 07:53 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PaJaHa1
I'm going in for this on Wednesday. Thanks for the info.
Bad news - the rattle is back. Drivers side, behind the rear seat.

Quick Reply: Rattles