ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Cronic problems with 07 ES?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-06, 01:53 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Question Cronic problems with 07 ES?

Did a search but wanted to clairify.......it seems some have been having some issues with the 07 Nav system & several are not totally pleased with the shift quality of the new 6 speed auto's.......would that pretty much sum up the 'major' issues folks are having with the new gen ES?

Also, I have heard that the tranny fluid never needs replacing on these cars.......which I find interesting......can you confirm this & out of curiousity, what kind of factory fill tranny fluid is now used in these cars?
Old 09-01-06, 02:51 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My fathers 07 was the 1st shipment to my local Lexus dealer and the car is flawless, still only has less then 4000 miles.

I've come to the conclusion that all cars have problems/issues and or customer complaints and the solution is stop over reading stuff online I know plenty of cars that are problem free and online people say don't buy those cars/model years.
Old 09-01-06, 03:14 PM
CyclopStan
Rookie

I love all aspects of the car w/ 1 big exception, like many others I have excessive wind noise from the front windows when I reach 50+ mph. Yesterday I had my car in for another issue, so while they had it I asked them to look at the wind noise issue. Today they said while the noise was indeed loud, nothing is broken & agreed that its a design flaw. I will now write Lexus corporate and register my complaint with them. I find it very disappointing that that just about every car I've ever been in does a better job eliminating wind noise than my car.
Old 09-01-06, 08:45 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But how could it be a design flaw if my car doesn't have a wind noise?!? I'm sure dozen of others on this forum can confirm the same thing. Design flaw will apply to every single ES350. The car is whisper quiet. Of course, when you go faster, you hear more noise from outside, but it can't even compare to the noise level from a number of cars I driven in (anything from Nissan/Infiniti/Toyota/BMW/MB/Volvo/Ford/Subaru etc.) Some people here do have a real problem with wind noise, but those a manufacturing flaws, not the design flaws... Have you tried test driving a few other ES350s from your dealership, do they all sound the same?

Your dealership saying "design flaw" is just an excuse not to fix the "manufacturing flaw" problem with your car. Don't give up, they have to find a solution!!!
Old 09-01-06, 10:33 PM
dreyfus
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The major issue, perhaps not due to the numbers involved but because of the severity of the problem, is transmission failure on SOME of the earlier models. Some drivers think the shift timing could be improved, some think it's fine as is.

Some have complained that their route recalculations are too slow once a turn was missed, most don't have any problem here. Of course the speed lockouts irritate many drivers, but that's true of all new Lexus models. The nav unit overall seems to be fairly well received.

Wind noise was mentioned as well, but again, it doesn't seem to affect but a minority of the vehicles.

Some think their audio systems should be of higher quality.

Oh, yes, there is a defect in the voice recognition for the climate control on a range of vehicles. This has been corrected and is a warranted repair.

I'd think the transmission issue is the biggie, just because it's fatal to the car. Lexus has been very good at satisfying affected owners.

Yes, the tranny is factory sealed and no tranny fluid can be added. I don't know what kind of fluid is supposed to stand up to years of use without being changed out, but there you have it.

Last edited by dreyfus; 09-01-06 at 10:37 PM.
Old 09-01-06, 10:58 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

I was hoping that when I purchased my ES that this would be a trouble free ride. That is why I came to Lexus, and I am a first time customer. I have to say that unfortunately it hasn't lived up to those expectations. It is disappointing. Determining how many cars have problems is almost impossible as there are no hard numbers. Only Lexus really knows.

The 'live' issues right now that still have to be addressed are wind noise and various rattles in doors, windows or behind the rear seats.

Issues that have official TSBs for fixes already are Trans slipping and Voice Command system for sat nav.

I believe we've had no issues with the engine at all - none - and the interior bits and pieces seem to generate no complaints. Audio is something that some people like\dislike, but it seems to be a personal issue.

If you purchased a car in the US and your trans died, Lexus was providing new cars to the affected customers, or other agreeable compensation. Can you imagine any other brand doing that? I can't. No one has posted from Canada at this point so we don't know what happens up here. If my trans dies I better have the option of a new car as we pay ~25% more for the cars up here than the US.
Old 09-01-06, 11:00 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by twister
But how could it be a design flaw if my car doesn't have a wind noise?!?
I've decided that I'm going to secretly swap out both of my front doors for those on Twisters car (when he isn't around). This way I can share my wind noise with him.... and at the same time enjoy a beautifully serene driving experience with his nicely sealing doors on my car
Old 09-02-06, 02:56 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CyclopStan
I love all aspects of the car w/ 1 big exception, like many others I have excessive wind noise from the front windows when I reach 50+ mph. Yesterday I had my car in for another issue, so while they had it I asked them to look at the wind noise issue. Today they said while the noise was indeed loud, nothing is broken & agreed that its a design flaw. I will now write Lexus corporate and register my complaint with them. I find it very disappointing that that just about every car I've ever been in does a better job eliminating wind noise than my car.
Cyclop,
I too was told the wind noise was design and required a redesign to get rid of it so sorry but deal with it, BUT, not before first being lied to by the dealer service manager in claiming it was buffeting.
Only after I insisted I had never, ever heard such a noise in a car and I knew buffeting having driven in 35 mph plus crosswinds from Red Cross facility to another in a hurricane, did the liar then say it is the design of the car and nothing they could do about it.
Old 09-02-06, 08:03 AM
jeffofla
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I noticed the wind noise for the first time on a drive where, when I got the car up to 75-80, I could hear it. It was not super loud, but it was annoying. I sure hope it doesn't get worse as the car ages. I am thinking that the wind noise actually is coming from the seam in the mirror, but I could be completely wrong.
Old 09-02-06, 08:57 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jeffofla
I noticed the wind noise for the first time on a drive where, when I got the car up to 75-80, I could hear it. It was not super loud, but it was annoying. I sure hope it doesn't get worse as the car ages. I am thinking that the wind noise actually is coming from the seam in the mirror, but I could be completely wrong.
Jeff,
The wind noise I and others are talking about is not coming from either mirror, it is at head, ear level on both sides of the car and it is LOUD, very loud.
You might have something entirely different if you feel it is from the mirror area.
Also nearing 50 to 55 mph you can hear it too if like others of us, though at that speed it is not as bad as 70 mph though still unlike anything in any other vehicle and you would NOT want to have it happening at either speed.
Old 09-02-06, 11:16 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Unhappy

The tranny problem is a bit of a shocker to say the least.......not wide spread to be sure but disappointing.

I'm a little suprised at the wind noise complaint to be honest because the car has framed windows for the last 2 gens....I did not have that complaint with my 01 ES with frameless windows however.
Old 09-02-06, 12:15 PM
gappell
Rookie

Smile

I have over 5000 miles on my ES350 since purchase in May. It has every option available. Wind noise was the first problem. I explained the details in a previous post but the dealer corrected the problem. It was in the door to window seals.

The only other problem is the voice commands in the NAV system. This is not a big deal so I have not scheduled a replacement yet.

NO transmission problems !!

This is my 4th Lexus and is probably the best.
Old 09-06-06, 12:14 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dreyfus
Yes, the tranny is factory sealed and no tranny fluid can be added. I don't know what kind of fluid is supposed to stand up to years of use without being changed out, but there you have it.
I could be wrong but IIRC I believe that the maintenance manual mentions that the tranny fluid does eventually need to be replaced (I believe it referenced it as having the tranny serviced or something like that)...no need to check fluid level but still need to make sure that the tranny/transfer case hasn't sprung a leak or anything.