ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

ES Worth the $$ Over A Camry??

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-06, 10:04 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Nauticalx
So after looking at the ES pricing and the Camry pricing I had to ask, Is the ES really worth that much more over the Camry?

Okay Okay I know, yes the ES and the Camry are in two different classes and completely different in design and interior.

But apparently this is resonating with purchasers in the market since my uncle just purchased a new Camry, and since he has well enough money to purchase a ES, hell he had a previous ES he purchased new. I asked him why not the new ES.

His response? He said the new Camry was good enough. He didn't see that much different to justify the price when you compare a loaded Camry to an ES.

I agree the new Camry is a great looking vehicle with nice features. Given the price difference, is the ES worth the $40+K price when you can have a great model for much cheaper in a Toyota badge?

in my opinion you get what you pay for. although the ES is based on the Camry, it is still 1 grade up. when you tell someone that you drive a new toyota, they are like and? but when you tell them you drive a lexus, although it might be an older model, they are like damn rich *****, experience it every time . plus it would be much easier to resell a Lexus compared to a toyota and the resale value is higher especially if you install some aftermarket gadgets(yeah i know you paid more for the LEX). with a Lexus you get lifetime free car washs and loaner cars with service (toyota dont offer that). the bottom line is if you got the doe to purchase a ES, do it because everything extra that comes with it is well worth it. just my 2 cents
Old 09-01-06, 10:21 PM
dreyfus
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm an ex-Camry owner who has driven the new Avalon and decided to buy an ES350 after looking at both the IS350 & the Acura TL.

LexBob2 is correct in saying the decision is a subjective one, and as there is no perfect car that everyone would obviously buy if they could afford it, we all end up with cars of our own choosing. Some people regret their choices of course, but then not everyone is as smart as ES350 owners....

For me, the combination of features, comfort, reliability, and styling led to the ES350. Yes, the extra money is well worth it to me over the Camry. For someone else, it isn't. Neither choice is bad or wrong. They're both fine cars that will serve their owners well.
Old 09-01-06, 10:31 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd say the ES is more than a grade up from the Camry. The Avalon would easily be a grade up from the Camry. The Lexus ES is another leap up from there.

Ever driven a Highlander then the RX330\350? There is a big difference.
Ever driven a base Tahoe then a Denali\Escalade? Again it's a big difference, and in this case it really is the same base car to a point.
Driven the Ford Fusion and then the Lincoln Zephyr? Now that's getting really close as they're very, very similar. Scarily similar

The ES is just a distant cousing DNA wise to the Camry. As is the Avalon related to the Camry, as is the RX and the Highlander. The ES unfortunately just happens to be the same size as the Camry.

As has been said before, if you're looking for reliable family oriented 4 door sedan, get the Camry. Or the equivalent Chev\Ford\Buick\etc. The Camry is not a luxury car. It would only be considered an "entry level luxury car" by those who haven't really driven anything better. Anyone who calls the Camry a luxury car is obviously someone moving up from a Chev Cavalier or similar. I tried to consider my old 2004 Honda Accord EX with leather a luxury car. What that car was is simply a base model family sedan with cheap leather, and a power passenger seat. Sorry, that's not luxury.

If you're looking for a mid level luxury car then.... you've arrived The ES is your car.
Old 09-01-06, 11:32 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

heh.. wanderer99, you hit the spot. I remember sitting in my friend's 1998 Accord and the leather didn't feel "right". When I sat in our 02 Camry, the leather felt better (that and there was more of it compared to the Accord). I thought the leather on the Camry was pretty nice given the price. That was then. I just had a chance to sit in the ES UL package with the premium leather. After that, our Camry's leather seat, the one which I thought was pretty good for a family car, suddenly felt cheap. I know it's a Lexus but even then, the old ES leather was good, but not THIS good.
Old 09-02-06, 06:49 AM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

His reasoning was alot based on the fact that you can get the push button start on the Camry, smart access. A former big plus for Lexus only. The Camry has narrowed the gap since he felt his new Camry to be much better than his older ES but I see that the new ES has raised the bar in itself as well. Cars in general get better over time so his move form an older ES to an 07 Camry was good for him but obviously not as good as a older ES to the ES350.
Old 09-02-06, 07:43 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 224 Likes on 152 Posts

I haven't driven the new 07 Camry V6, but have sat in & examined a pretty loaded one.
I've also just recently got a new 07 ES350 for a day as a loaner when I brought in my car for maintainence, & I think even just considering the look & feel of the interior, there's a night & day difference. I couldn't imagine getting the Camry over the ES if money is not an issue.

The ES is also built under stricter QC standards of a Lexus compared to a Toyota

Last edited by Gojirra99; 09-02-06 at 07:49 AM.
Old 09-02-06, 08:55 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've noticed that people buy cars at certain price limits, his previous ES was a 30 something car and he enjoyed it for what it was but as time goes on and cars improve (as well as the price) the features also get added to certain cars that where never on it before so when he got the 07 Camry he probably felt he got even more value for his money.

A similiar 07 ES could be 35-37, thats probably past what he really wants to spend on a car, yes he has the money but most people buy cars for value, reliability and transportation etc.., those lurking and posting online are looking for way more
Old 09-02-06, 12:19 PM
Celibon
Driver

When I went in for my first service, I checked out the Toyota showroom which was right next to my Lexus dealership. I noticed the difference between a Camry and ES350 as soon as I opened the door. The way it opened and closed... it was just so different. Kind of felt like the door itself was thinner and lighter. And then there's the interior material which were obviously of lower quality than the ES350's.

These are just my immediate impressions of a Camry without actually test driving it. It is a good car for its value, but it's not a luxury car in my opinion.
Old 09-02-06, 02:33 PM
CRB
Lead Lap

I don't think a dollar for dollar comparison is how people end up in a ES over a Camry.

First let me say that the Camry Hybrid is a special piece that should be excluded because I think that car is a great bargain and package that more than justifies its price. Toyota hit it out of the park with the Hybrid. For roughly half of a GS450h...incredible!

Taking a Camry top loaded V6 versus a loaded ES350 is more interesting. You should drive them for yourself and decide. The ES is made in Japan which is worth something IMO.

The styling of the new Camry doesn't "ring my bell", I will say that.

Last edited by CRB; 09-02-06 at 02:36 PM.