ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

ES Worth the $$ Over A Camry??

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-06, 02:02 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default ES Worth the $$ Over A Camry??

So after looking at the ES pricing and the Camry pricing I had to ask, Is the ES really worth that much more over the Camry?

Okay Okay I know, yes the ES and the Camry are in two different classes and completely different in design and interior.

But apparently this is resonating with purchasers in the market since my uncle just purchased a new Camry, and since he has well enough money to purchase a ES, hell he had a previous ES he purchased new. I asked him why not the new ES.

His response? He said the new Camry was good enough. He didn't see that much different to justify the price when you compare a loaded Camry to an ES.

I agree the new Camry is a great looking vehicle with nice features. Given the price difference, is the ES worth the $40+K price when you can have a great model for much cheaper in a Toyota badge?

Last edited by Nauticalx; 09-01-06 at 02:10 PM.
Old 09-01-06, 02:08 PM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you want a lexus then get a lexus, if you want a toyota then get a toyota. The way i see it is, for those that pay extra for the L vs the T there is a difference on how you present yourself.

Im not saying people with toyota dont have $, you can get a brand new toyota for way more than a used lexus. But if you need a good daily get a camry. Want the xtra style/class go for the es
Old 09-01-06, 02:16 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

That whole debate is pretty subjective. Go to a Camry forum and you'll be talking to Camry fans/owners. On this forum you'll obviously get Lexus fans/owners.

IMO each person has to make their own decision as to whether or not the ES is worth the extra $$'s over a Camry. In my case it was. Toyota is selling a lot of each brand. I like the exterior & interior styling, probable resale value, dealership experience etc., etc., and yes, even the image thing.

One executive referred to Lexus as an aspirational brand.

Good luck on your decision.
Old 09-01-06, 02:26 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My mom had a 97 Camry and I had a 99 ES. Basically similar cars in many ways. When it came to fit and finish, the ES was leaps and bounds above the Camry. The ES had way more pep, too. Don't know why with the same engine but the difference was very noticable. Even the look, although similar the ES has way more beauty.

Has the newest Camry has narrowed the gap? Not imo. Sit in and drive the new ES350. It is a Lexus through and through and will never be confused with a Camry.
Old 09-01-06, 02:31 PM
LexFather

Seeing ES 350 sales are up 4% and Camry sales up 2% b/c the plant can't build enough, CLEARLY, its worth it.

If it was NOT, it would be DISCONTINUED because PEOPLE WOULD NOT BUY IT.

This question, is now 17 years old and Lexus has proven since 1992 (sorry ES 250) that YES, IT IS WORTH THE MONEY OVER THE CAMRY.

For those that don't think so, DEAL WITH IT.
Old 09-01-06, 02:46 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When my old man got his 03 ES300 I was blown away by the difference between Toyota and Lexus and now with the 07 ES350 the 07 Camry it's still the same.

Really depends on the individual why else are people conscienciously buying Lincoln Town Cars and Ford Crown Vics as daily drivers

I feel if your happy with your purchase then you made the right choice and their is certainly member in here that proves my point
Old 09-01-06, 03:32 PM
rx7_fan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Nauticalx
So after looking at the ES pricing and the Camry pricing I had to ask, Is the ES really worth that much more over the Camry?

Okay Okay I know, yes the ES and the Camry are in two different classes and completely different in design and interior.

But apparently this is resonating with purchasers in the market since my uncle just purchased a new Camry, and since he has well enough money to purchase a ES, hell he had a previous ES he purchased new. I asked him why not the new ES.

His response? He said the new Camry was good enough. He didn't see that much different to justify the price when you compare a loaded Camry to an ES.

I agree the new Camry is a great looking vehicle with nice features. Given the price difference, is the ES worth the $40+K price when you can have a great model for much cheaper in a Toyota badge?

Clearly you've never driven the ES350; just drive it and all your questions will be answer. And besides, test driving is totally FREE.
Old 09-01-06, 03:51 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rx7_fan
Clearly you've never driven the ES350; just drive it and all your questions will be answer. And besides, test driving is totally FREE.
I'm not in the market for an ES. Just posing the question for discussion given my uncle's comments/buying decision going from an ES to a Camry and not the other way around. He's driven both obviously and made his decision. I will take your advice and drop in to the dealer and test drive the GS350 and the ES.

And in response to the comment above, just because sales jumped more for ES's over Camrys doesnt mean anything. ES sales are a fraction of Camry's for obvious reasons, thus it would take a heck of alot of more units to make the same jump in Camry sales as ES sales.
Old 09-01-06, 04:05 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

ES in 40's has a lot more features and options than Camry at 30...

I can understand someone saying that Camry is good enough. It still doesnt make it as good as ES :-).
Old 09-01-06, 04:12 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Price Discrimination
Old 09-01-06, 04:37 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

We've had Camrys and an ES. I like the Camrys a lot, they are a better value, but the ES is a Lexus--leather seats, better interior design, better stereo, the service and respect, etc.

It's somewhat subjective. When you come down to it, the Avalon may offer more features and better value. But the ES has real wood!
Old 09-01-06, 05:47 PM
psp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the Camry! You'll love it. Best selling car in the USA!!

(Help me out here fellas! Do you want to see tons of ES350's on the road like I see ES330's and 300's?)
Old 09-01-06, 07:57 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Just for the heck of it im gonna test drive a camry later this month. I am really curious. I am also curious about the IS350. Maybe the GS350. Man so many cars to try out. Just to satisfy a curiousity. Did I mention that the ES350 is worth every penny?????
Old 09-01-06, 08:33 PM
rx7_fan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kaius88
Just for the heck of it im gonna test drive a camry later this month. I am really curious. I am also curious about the IS350. Maybe the GS350. Man so many cars to try out. Just to satisfy a curiousity.

lol, I think you're too rich and have too much time to play with; let us know how those cars compare to the ES.
Old 09-01-06, 09:13 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't wait to see the new drama develops when my bizarro bro Kaius88 going to trade in his ES350 for GS350

@ Nauticalx: Your uncle's reasoning "good enough" makes no sense. He might as well said "Hyundai Sonata" (I see tons of these Accord knock-off around) is good enough too. Too bad that a lot of people compare cars on a paper and from the pictures. If he has enough money to buy both and would test drive both of them, there will be not even a question which one to buy. Maybe a loaded Avalon vs ES350 is a tougher decision, but as far as Camry vs ES350 - its no brainer if you can afford Lexus.

Quick Reply: ES Worth the $$ Over A Camry??