ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350
View Poll Results: Multiple Choice: What problems do you have with your 2007 ES350?
Transmission shift flaring
27.33%
Cold engine start noise
24.00%
Wind noise
23.67%
Interior rattles
25.67%
Voice Recognition for climate control
13.67%
I have none of the problems listed above
32.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 300. You may not vote on this poll

What problem do you have with your 2007 ES350?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-07, 05:42 PM
tnedator
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
That's a good point. But I think many owners in that 40-60 age group are probably pretty computer/interent savvy, since they're most likely still working and computer skills are no doubt required. If you're talking about 70+ years old I think you have a case.
A 65 year old friend of mine (not sure exactly how old he is, but in that range), called me this afternoon and said he was on Yahoo and there was a section on the right that listed 3 or 4 new (2007) cars, and one was the ES350. Since he bought one about two weeks before me, he clicked on it and told me he saw people talking about engine and transmission noise and asked me if I knew what it was all about.

I explained the transmission flare, diesel/cold start noise and wind noise that some people have been complaining about, and he said that he had none of those and asked me if I did. I said no, but that since reading about it, twice when I have switched cars with my wife, I checked it for the flare.

He tracked down old buddies of his from the Navy when he served right after WWII on Yahoo People and some other internet sites. My great aunt is over 80 and she emails her son (my cousin) jokes and other stuff.

So, while I agree that the younger crowd is more coputer savvy, the older generations aren't all computer illiterate anymore. Definately when you are talking 40-50, I would guess there are far more that are very comfortable with computers thatn those that are not. Most people in that age that are in an office type job are going to have to use computers at work, and many not in an office job have to use computers at work.
Old 01-17-07, 08:36 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i guess i should qualify my post by saying that the 40-60 crowd is less inclined to blog and chat on the internet.

there are tons of lurkers on message boards, and they'll agree, but not post.
Old 01-18-07, 05:25 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
I noticed what you are referring to, there are at times 10 times the number of guests who cannot post as there are members who can, maybe they don't know how easy it is to log in here like the Free Credit Report commercial...how much easier could it get...LOL...

If you consider that in a nation of 300,000,000 people, where a vehicle sold, take your pick, 46,000 or 55,000 to have gotten roughly 136 actual owners who drive them daily to share their hands on experiences on a poll is no small feat on it's own and a market researchers dream no matter what is said about internet forums or who supposedly habits them.
Old 01-18-07, 12:55 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
I noticed what you are referring to, there are at times 10 times the number of guests who cannot post as there are members who can, maybe they don't know how easy it is to log in here like the Free Credit Report commercial...how much easier could it get...LOL...

If you consider that in a nation of 300,000,000 people, where a vehicle sold, take your pick, 46,000 or 55,000 to have gotten roughly 136 actual owners who drive them daily to share their hands on experiences on a poll is no small feat on it's own and a market researchers dream no matter what is said about internet forums or who supposedly habits them.
Maybe a market researcher's curiousity vs. their dream. 136 acutal owners is less than one quarter of one percent of the total sold. Not a big enough number for them to sit up and take notice.

Last edited by LexBob2; 01-18-07 at 01:00 PM.
Old 01-18-07, 01:46 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Maybe a market researcher's curiousity vs. their dream. 136 acutal owners is less than one quarter of one percent of the total sold. Not a big enough number for them to sit up and take notice.

Data on internet forums from actual owners is taken very seriously and we have more ES350 owners as members of Club Lexus giving responses than Edmunds last we looked and yet owner comments on Edmunds are called out specifically in the sources below pertaining to Toyota having "sat up and taken notice" of what actual owners are saying on internet forums. For all we know, Lexus first noticed a transmission trend from observing this forum and our Club Lexus member responses and tried to get it dealt with by issuing a TSIB, though still struggling. Though they have knocked back the NAV issue, they need more work on other issues.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...ccelerate.html
"Internet chat rooms recently have swelled with similar consumer complaints prompting Toyota engineers to examine the 2007 Camry engine and powertrain in search of why the best-selling car in America loses power at times when power may be most needed."

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...1041/MICROSITE
"A raft of consumer complaints and negative postings on Internet chat rooms such as Edmunds.com forced Toyota engineers to find out why 2007 Camry engines tend to bog at critical moments. After all, it's not good for the best-selling car in America to lose power when it's needed most."
Old 01-18-07, 02:25 PM
onsknht
Pole Position

Data on internet forums from actual owners is taken very seriously and we have more ES350 owners as members of Club Lexus giving responses than Edmunds last we looked and yet owner comments on Edmunds are called out specifically in the sources below pertaining to Toyota having "sat up and taken notice" of what actual owners are saying on internet forums. For all we know, Lexus first noticed a transmission trend from observing this forum and our Club Lexus member responses and tried to get it dealt with by issuing a TSIB, though still struggling. Though they have knocked back the NAV issue, they need more work on other issues.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...ccelerate.html
"Internet chat rooms recently have swelled with similar consumer complaints prompting Toyota engineers to examine the 2007 Camry engine and powertrain in search of why the best-selling car in America loses power at times when power may be most needed."

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...1041/MICROSITE
"A raft of consumer complaints and negative postings on Internet chat rooms such as Edmunds.com forced Toyota engineers to find out why 2007 Camry engines tend to bog at critical moments. After all, it's not good for the best-selling car in America to lose power when it's needed most."

Hi Bob, you do realize these articles are related to the Camry I(nline) 4 cylinder?
Old 01-18-07, 02:33 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by onsknht
Hi Bob, you do realize these articles are related to the Camry I(nline) 4 cylinder?

Yes I do, I was using them as source material to demonstrate that what actual owners report on internet forums is taken very seriously in spite of repeated claims to the contrary about what internet forums are or are not as to signifigance.

One day instead of Edmunds getting credit in national and world publications it will be Club Lexus that will get credit for anything Lexus.

We beat Edmunds on actual number of owner input as of last check.
Old 01-18-07, 03:02 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Yes I do, I was using them as source material to demonstrate that what actual owners report on internet forums is taken very seriously in spite of repeated claims to the contrary about what internet forums are or are not as to signifigance.

One day instead of Edmunds getting credit in national and world publications it will be Club Lexus that will get credit for anything Lexus.

We beat Edmunds on actual number of owner input as of last check.
If this is a competition between CL and Edmunds, maybe we should start stuffing the ballot boxes like they do in all-star voting. The most posts wins!
Old 01-18-07, 03:50 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

If this is a competition between CL and Edmunds, maybe we should start stuffing the ballot boxes like they do in all-star voting. The most posts wins!
Competition, not really in the classic sense, a larger group of owner members than Edmunds, heck yeah who wouldn't want that if they are a member of Club Lexus.

More members might at some point mean free CL member T shirts with resultant increased advertising revenue

I believe it would be even busier in here, droves more people in fact, if when doing a google search Club Lexus came up on google as it used to, now Edmunds usually does or numerous other sites instead so people might be going to those and I don't know if it's due to archiving or not enough forum pages or what but Club Lexus does not come up in a search like it used to. Try keying in ....ES350 Transmission .....on google search and you will see what I mean...it used to be Club Lexus would show up but now it's Edmunds, other sites. So our "competition" is getting the attention of those searching.
Old 02-20-07, 05:22 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dunnojack
Reading Nomore's thread and Lex13's announcement of his car reminded of this though it took a while for me to remember what thread you had posted this in.

I feel there are many who read as guests and for reasons do not join and/or join and do not post or wait to post, most likely because they feel their area of interest is already covered by others as Nomore implies and Lex13 did as well in his new thread as regards content that is included people find helpful.
Old 02-26-07, 10:05 AM
Dwelsh
Driver School Candidate

Smile Hey you young whippersnappers!!

What's all this chatter about seniors using the www.
I'm 77 and have been involved with computers for 35 years. Almost all of my peers, all over the world, are involved today.

I drive a 2003 430LS and am getting a 2007 350ES in a couple of weeks. I will post pictures and give you a review after I have driven it a few thousand miles on the freeways of California. This will be my 3rd Lexus. So far my experience has been far superior to my previous ones with Jag XJ6 and MB 300 SEL
Old 02-26-07, 10:11 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Dwelsh
What's all this chatter about seniors using the www.
I'm 77 and have been involved with computers for 35 years. Almost all of my peers, all over the world, are involved today.

I drive a 2003 430LS and am getting a 2007 350ES in a couple of weeks. I will post pictures and give you a review after I have driven it a few thousand miles on the freeways of California. This will be my 3rd Lexus. So far my experience has been far superior to my previous ones with Jag XJ6 and MB 300 SEL
LOL Dwelsh, seems not only can ol dogs learn new tricks but they can teach the younger ones a lesson or two as well.

Welcome to our forum!!!
Old 02-27-07, 07:12 PM
sirraf
Driver School Candidate

We own a ES 350 UL and have noticed lots of static on the AM radio. There has been no noticable static on the FM stations. The dealer does not know what the problem could be but now wants to remove the window tint as this could be the problem. Naturally, if it is not the problem I expect the dealer to replace the tint or if it is the problem I expect to be reimbursed.

I would like to know if anyone else has experienced the same problem (static on the AM stations). I realize that AM reception is limited in some areas but we have not experienced this in this area. (Even my old truck gets good AM reception)
Old 02-28-07, 08:32 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sirraf
We own a ES 350 UL and have noticed lots of static on the AM radio. There has been no noticable static on the FM stations. The dealer does not know what the problem could be but now wants to remove the window tint as this could be the problem. Naturally, if it is not the problem I expect the dealer to replace the tint or if it is the problem I expect to be reimbursed.

I would like to know if anyone else has experienced the same problem (static on the AM stations). I realize that AM reception is limited in some areas but we have not experienced this in this area. (Even my old truck gets good AM reception)
I sometimes get poor AM reception when sitting in traffic under an overpass or something similar. AM reception is notoriously bad in the city among the tall buildings, but it usually clears up once I'm moving. Who would you seek reimbursement from if your tint is the problem - Lexus or the tint shop?
Old 02-28-07, 05:44 PM
Dwelsh
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up Conversation with SM

I spoke to my Lexus service manager today re the reproted transmission problems. He told me that they had replaced 5 or 6 in the past year but that the newest VIN #'s had a modified transmissions which are supposed to have taken car of the situation. I questioned him as I am about to order a 350Es to replace my 2003 430LS which has given me no problems atall except, the Mark Levinson radio gives really lousy AM reception. I listen to XM anyway so it is really not an issue with me but I am amazed at the bad reception on AM

Quick Reply: What problem do you have with your 2007 ES350?