ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350
View Poll Results: Multiple Choice: What problems do you have with your 2007 ES350?
Transmission shift flaring
27.33%
Cold engine start noise
24.00%
Wind noise
23.67%
Interior rattles
25.67%
Voice Recognition for climate control
13.67%
I have none of the problems listed above
32.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 300. You may not vote on this poll

What problem do you have with your 2007 ES350?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-07 | 09:09 AM
2007es350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by noncom23
T, is yours fixed?
Mine was fixed through a buyback too!
Old 06-06-07 | 09:17 AM
jeffofla
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 2007es350
Mine was fixed through a buyback too!
What do you think of the difference between the ES and LS?
Old 06-07-07 | 12:15 AM
creamy
Driver School Candidate

I just don't get it. The transmission doesnt flare anymore. So frustrating knowing that the car flares once in a while and hard to reproduce it. Glad flaring again now and hope that it stays like that.

Anyways the car is great except the rattle in the trunk. It does seem like the engine is a bit louder but I guess it's all psychological since all my friends tell me its really quiet and smooth.
Old 06-07-07 | 05:52 AM
noncom23
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by twister
Buyback fixed it pretty good After original tranny replacement, second one started acting up within a week. When dealership confirmed sever flare with that as well, I went for a buyback and switched to GS350. Never looked back, but still here in ES350 forum to help others! After almost a year, this tranny problem is still a mystery to me. One might think that we haven't seen even one success with tranny replacement, it always goes back to the way it was before. This makes you believe its not the tranny, but firmware which still stays the same. Firmware should be identical in every ES350, but not everybody experiencing this problem. Go figure I just recently talked to a friend of mine who is a "ford fanatic". He mentioned that a bunch of a new Ford cars with 6-speed auto tranny having similar problems. Also, the same happened with some of the GM cars, but that has been successfully fixed with a firmware flash within a few month of discovery. Anyway...
Yeah. I am going with a GS 350 also. Thx.
Old 06-12-07 | 02:05 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

I just thought of this: we are experienced with transmissions as a heavy drivetrain piece. With the new electronic transmissions (smaller), we are probably experiencing electrical glitches in the programming and transmission parts. Hence, so hard to keep up with the flares. My UL has 5600 miles on it with 3,000 miles on new transmission, no problems as yet.
Old 06-23-07 | 09:31 AM
aeroengine
Driver School Candidate

Default You present a false choice

Originally Posted by Celibon
I'm seeing more people posting problems about their ES350. We all know that it's the nature of this kind of forums to draw posts of problems and make them seem more wide spread than they really are. At the same time, however, to those people who genuinely have a problem, it's 100% defective for them and it kills their enjoyment of a new shiny car.

I would like to see a poll of how many people actually have one or more problems with their car. This is not to make them feel even worse or anything, because if the percentage is unfortunately high, it might help push Lexus to do something.

Preferrably only people who have owned/driven the car for over a month or 2k miles vote. And please make sure you understand and are sure you're having a particular problem. You can find them by going through the threads on this forum or by doing a search.

The vote is available for multiple choice. If you have 2 or more problems please check all that apply.
The last option - "..don't have the above problems" could either mean I have a different problem than the one on your list or it could mean I have had NO problems. I therefore cannont vote because I've had a different - very serious problem. Suggest you have a category "Other Problem:"
Old 07-03-07 | 05:05 AM
carbuff
Driver

Is the transmission problem confined to only the early produced ES350's or has it contifnued to occur through today's build date?

The build date of my ES is April 2007. Am I to expect flare and transmission problems?
Old 07-13-07 | 06:35 PM
mmrfr
Rookie

I bet yes!!!!
Old 07-14-07 | 08:40 AM
djmb
Driver School Candidate

I have been told by a dealer that the problem with the transmission has been fixed and there is no problem with the recent production cars. Is this true? I have been trying to decide whether to wait for the 2008 ES 350.
Old 07-14-07 | 08:47 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by djmb
I have been told by a dealer that the problem with the transmission has been fixed and there is no problem with the recent production cars. Is this true? I have been trying to decide whether to wait for the 2008 ES 350.
Don't believe anything the dealer says. If so, have them sign a form stating you can return the car within the first 90 days if the tranny flares. I bet they won't sign it. If the issue is fixed, what does the dealer have to lose? Are they going to stand behind their product??? Doubt it!!
Old 07-14-07 | 11:54 PM
350Dave
Lead Lap

I have no problems after 1 month and 1400 miles!
Old 08-05-07 | 06:57 PM
JPR
Driver School Candidate

Default Transmission problems

I bought a 2007 ES350 new last August 2006 with an 8-96 build date.
After a few months as the weather got colder (MN area), I noticed the trans was going into neutral, slipping and over-revving about 1000-1200 RPMs at the first and second 3-4 shift every time I drove it cold. It then usually acted strangely as I would slow down at a stop light, causing a surge mixed in with some wierd down shifting. Then the trans also started going into neutral, slipping and over-revving by about 200-250 RPMs at the 1-2 and 2-3 shift, not every time, but often and irregularly with no particular reason even if the vehicle was fully warmed up. This was to say the least very unexpected for me from any Lexus vehicle and was very unsettling for a luxury car of the typical Lexus reputation (this is my second Lexus-I have an RX300 also which always has always shifted perfectly and been superb in every way). I took my ES 350 in to the Lexus dealer for service for the trans in March of this year and they kept it overnight and said the fluid level in the trans was low and they had to add a quart. This did result in an improvement because it almost totally eliminated the 3-4 upshift when it was cold. It did not however eliminate the other shifting irrelgularities and slipping/over-revving between the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts, which continued to occur irregularly but often even when warm and the occasional 500+ RPM slipping/over-revving at the 3-4 upshift when the trans was also warm (thus the trans problem continued to be quite unsettling to me).

About three weeks ago I called the Lexus Division of Toyota national helpline and told them of the problem and that I was very disatisfied with the trans malfunctioning. The rep I talked too claimed to know nothing specific and wouldn't acknowledge that there was any such problem known to Lexus. I asked him to have a technical representative call me back who had a complete understanding of the problem. He said he would within 4-5 days, but then never did. So I called back and talked to another rep and he said the Lexus dealer was supposed to call me (they didn't). So I called the Lexus service dept at the dealership I bought it and they made an appointment to work on the trans about a week later.

When I took it in they kept it overnight and said they installed the new software for a TSB that just was issued by Lexus. They said they test drove the car and the trans worked fine with no slipping. I took the car and as I drove out of the Lexus dealer it immediately slipped on the first 1-2 and 2-3 upshift. Since this repair it shifts more positively and at higher shift points, but my gas mileage has gone down about 3 mpg. And the slipping continues when cold in the 1-2 and 2-3 upshifts (200 RPMs) when cold and occasionally at the 3-4 upshift (500-800 RPMs) and other times randomly. I called the service manager and told him this was unsatisfactory and he said he would have to talk to Lexus and have them call me and then he would talk to some other folks at the dealership and call me back (but that it would take a while).

When he calls me back I am going to ask him what is the next remedy available from Lexus engineering because the first two haven't worked. I like everything about this car except for the trans shifting problems which in my view make this car unacceptable to own. If Lexus can actually repair this trans to be normal with no slippage, then I would absolutely love this car. If Lexus can't fix it I will have to get rid of it one way or the other since I can't stand it this way with a slipping, over-revving transmission. It's a crying shame Lexus could ever screw up like this and apparently not be smart enought to know how to fix it. I just can't stand the car this way with a malfunctioning transmission.
Old 08-05-07 | 07:49 PM
meadoel
Rookie

My suggestion would be to take it back for repair as many times as required for your states lemon law requirements. Then call an attorney. Don't waste 2 months calling corporate, it won't get you anywhere. There's no reason for you to take a loss selling your lemon.
Old 08-06-07 | 06:19 PM
JPR
Driver School Candidate

Meadoel, thanks for the good advice. I checked our lemon law and it requires 4 "unsuccessful" dealer repair attempts within two years of purchase of the vehicle as a new car. My understanding is that MN has only a so-so law and not as good as CA or some other states. What do I do if the dealer says I have had the latest Lexus TSB fix and a small 100-200 neutral over-rev between gears occasionally (or always when cold for the first few shift cycles) is normal for this transmission and then refuses to take it in on service or write a work order with it listed as a warranty repair? I suspect this is going to be the next strategy from Lexus Div. that I will have to deal with in addition to the unreturned phone calles and stalling I have already experienced. How successful can an attorney be getting some satisfaction for one under the lemon law if the Lexus Div. says that the repair was successful and these small over-revs are considered normal? Any suggestions? Thanks. I still am shiocked Lexus is capable of allowing such a faulty autotrans to be sold and cannot find a permanent fix.
Old 08-07-07 | 03:36 AM
meadoel
Rookie

I'm glad you mentioned the stalling and unreturned calls. I wasn't going to go there ;-). If you have another dealer in the area, take your car there instead. If you don't, you are welcome to take your car in for a wiper blade change, then have the service agent also record transmission slipping on the service record.

It would also help to have a recording of the flare. If you don't have a video camera you can use, borrow a cellphone that can record video. then get a few different samples of the slip, and on each one make sure you clearly say your name and the date and show your face on it to prove it's yours. At that point, if they refuse to take your car in then go the Attorney route. Find one who has worked a case on an ES350 case before and you should be fine.

Quick Reply: What problem do you have with your 2007 ES350?